Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Is TJ Really the revolution for the next big vikings QB?

I am really excited about him.
    At this point, we have no reason to doubt him but obviously he could still turn out to be a flop.
    The past two games I've enjoyed myself much more watching TJ than BJ.
    I really hope he can connect on the deep ball, if he can it will make watching the games that much more exciting knowing that at any given play it could be big.
    Also, it would open up our offense much more by forcing the defense to cover for it.
    I can't wait to see him starting for us down the road.

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Only time will tell.

slimerg0d is offline Rookie

I am excited to watch him grow and pleased at how far he has come so quick.
    With that said I'm also aware that this is pre season and he has much more to learn.
    I am very happy with how he is developing as a QB.
    He could be special, it's just much to early to tell.

Peace.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Alharrissuks91" wrote:
    I really liked the way that TJ looked in the game against the steelers plus he had great stats I think when B.Johnson retires this guy will lead us to the superbowl and win it.
    IF (big IF) Tarvaris Jackson doesn't leave the Vikings to travel the world healing the sick and nailing the hot chicks who flock to guys who can heal the sick, then, given a good supporting cast, stable coaching, an owner who spends money, a supportive fan base and the luck which is required in any championship run, then, I think, perhaps, one day, he could lead the Vikings to glory.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

oakmage is offline Starter

Time will tell that is true but I still like that way he has looked so far, as far as reading defenses go remember this is only the preseason team run a basic defense during preseason so his true ability to read defenses will have to wait until he plays in a regular season game

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Preseason or not, he's lighting it up. Relative to the first round QBs this year, I think its pretty clear that we struck some serious gold.
    -Sno

oakmage is offline Starter

True and I do agree that we struck gold with drafting him and he will make all of the experts eat crow when they questioned drafting him when we did, but also remember that there are a lot of players out there that looked great in the preseason but never panned out in the regular season.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

tj is
    very exciting to watch.

Go vikes!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=14pt]Sid Hartman: QB Jackson has fulfilled expectations[/size]
    The rookie quarterback impressed coaches when they visited him before the draft, and he's done nothing to change their impression since then.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: August 25, 2006 – 10:50 PM

If you walk into the lobby at the Winter Park home of the Vikings, you will note a TV screen advertising the team that includes a special message about rookie quarterback Tavaris Jackson.
    "Future of the Franchise" reads the words on the screen about Jackson.

Then below is the message: "A Michael Vick lookalike," referring to the Atlanta quarterback with the strong arm who is a scrambler like Jackson.

In the first two exhibition games, Jackson has shown the athletic ability that Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers saw when they worked out Jackson on the Alabama State campus. That workout resulted in them recommending Jackson be taken in the second round.

"I think first of all, his athletic ability [impressed me]," Bevell said of Jackson. "You know, we put him through the ropes out there. We put him through quite a few different things, whether it was dropping back or movement throws. He showed the ability to move around. Showed the big arm. He had a couple of his receivers out there, so he was very sharp in that.

"We also took him into the film room. He was very sharp when it came to talking about his plays, watching his tape, the decisions, the checks that he had to make. He could even, right when the play popped up, tell you what the play was before the play even ran. He was very sharp in that. That's what impressed us."

Things haven't changed since he became a Viking.

Jackson has completed 18 of 26 passes for 220 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions, including a 77-yard connection with rookie Jason Carter on Friday. He also has scrambled three times for 36 yards. Jackson, who was the third quarterback to play Friday night, completed two of four passes for 80 yards.

"We still like him," Bevell said. "We've been impressed with him. You still see the athletic ability. You can see the big arm, but what you don't see is the decisions that he's making, the poise that he shows, protecting the ball, getting the ball where it's supposed to go, not getting overwhelmed with the system."

Is Jackson better than they thought?

"I wouldn't say that," Bevell said. "Obviously when we picked him that high, we had high expectations for him. I would say the mental part has been great in terms of how he's been able to pick it up, and I don't know what type of expectations we would've had for that. He's doing really well."

Wilf optimistic

Zygi Wilf, the Vikings owner, said he is very upbeat about the team.

"I think they are being put together by the right people, the right coaching staff, the right personnel people," Wilf said. "I think I have the right team now in place, and right now it's a matter of getting the chemistry and teamwork together. I think we're on the right track. We made a lot of offseason decisions which will be, for the long term, very beneficial for the club."

Wilf made it clear he is in it for the long haul.

"I'm not doing it just to go after one winning season," he said. "I want to be a consistent winner. I want to be challenged. I want every other team, when they play us, to respect us and fear us, for who we are as a team. It's for many years to come."

Wilf said coach Brad Childress is everything he expected him to be.

"From the standpoint of staff and coaching, he embodies everything that I thought about as a coach; that he would work together with his other coaches and put together a coaching staff," Wilf said. "I like everything that he's done.

"I'm very happy with it going into the future. We're going to be judged by our season, but I'm optimistic about the direction we're going. It might not happen overnight, but the direction we're going is the right way this team has to go. I know that. I see it, and I see how it's working out."

The Vikings have not had sellouts this year, with tickets still available for most games. You hear people complain that without Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss the team doesn't have the top draws that it had in the past.

"No, I'm not concerned. I'm expecting great things from this team," Wilf said. "I think the fans will embrace what we're doing and what we're going to be accomplishing. I think it's just a matter of time before we will see results."

Tornado scare

slick willy Ames, who runs Ames Construction, might have picked the wrong time to entertain the entire Gophers football team, the coaches and a group of boosters at his ranch in Jordan on Thursday night. The party of 200 or more included University of Minnesota President Bob Bruininks, some members of the Board of Regents and other influential state citizens.

There was the entire Gophers party just 30 miles from the St. Peter area, where tornadoes were being reported.

Fortunately, though the weather got pretty rough on the Ames ranch, there were no tornado warnings. But it was a pretty scary situation for a while.

Jottings

Someone very familiar with Daunte Culpepper was in Charlotte, N.C., on Thursday night, where the Dolphins lost 19-10 to the Panthers. He reported that Culpepper looked as good as he had before his serious knee injury.

Culpepper scrambled for 8 yards on his first running play and completed 14 of 19 passes for 130 yards, and it looks as if he will be close to 100 percent for the season opener.

The word is that the $5.5 million contract that Koren Robinson signed for this year was not guaranteed and included a number of behavior clauses.

Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on WCCO AM-830 at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Podcast twice on www.startribune.com/sidcast. • [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Sat, Aug. 26, 2006

[size=14pt]Jackson still in spotlight[/size]Jackson still in spotlight
    Rookie QB again outperforms McMahon

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Mike McMahon was the first quarterback off the bench for the Vikings on Friday night in probably his last, best chance to make up ground in the race for the No. 2 job.

But rookie Tarvaris Jackson once again stole the show.

Jackson completed just 2 of 4 passes for 80 yards in two series of work in the Vikings' 30-7 exhibition win over the Baltimore Ravens, but one went to rookie wide receiver Jason Carter for a 77-yard touchdown.

That was enough to give Jackson the edge on McMahon, who had a 30-yard completion to Carter but finished just 2 of 5 for 36 yards in the two thirdquarter series he played.

Coach Brad Childress dodged a postgame question about his backup quarterbacks, but the Metrodome crowd of 63,257 made its preference known, booing McMahon's entrance and first incompletion and erupting in cheers when Jackson entered with 42 seconds left in the third quarter.

"This was my first time really hearing it," Jackson said of the reception. "It makes you feel good."

It was another feel-good night for Jackson, who might have been angling for an endorsement deal with his answer to a question about the chemistry between him and Carter.

"Yeah, 7-11," Jackson said in a reference to their jersey numbers. "He's making a habit of those plays. I've just got to get him the football, and he can take care of the rest."

Carter also provided McMahon with his only highlight with that 30-yard catch on the veteran quarterback's first series.

That drive ended with McMahon taking a 9-yard sack, and he was 0 for 3 on the Vikings' next possession, missing high on a third-down pass to an open Carter that forced Minnesota to settle for a 38-yard Ryan Longwell field goal and a 13-0 lead.

"If we hit it, it would have been six," McMahon said of his third-down miss. "I was just slightly off. I kind of rushed it."

McMahon said he thought his performance was a step up from the previous week in Pittsburgh but that he still has a lot of room for improvement.

As for the crowd reaction, he said he didn't hear it.

"That's going to happen," he said. "Any time you have a performance like last week and you come out and throw an incompletion, it's to be expected. You just block it out."

Almost lost in all the attention on the No. 2 quarterback race was another efficient performance by starter Brad Johnson, who completed 9 of 15 passes for 95 yards in exactly one half of work.

If not for a couple of drops by receiver Travis Taylor, both on third down, Johnson's passing numbers would have been even better.

He also nearly had receiver Marcus Robinson for a 32-yard touchdown, but officials correctly ruled Robinson's right foot came down out of bounds

"We wanted to start off fast, and I thought we did that, came away with one field goal," Johnson said. "I felt like we dominated the first quarter. I thought we did some good things. I think we've gotten better. We've still got a long ways to go, but I feel like it was a good night for us."

Johnson has completed 23 of 32 passes (72 percent) for 198 yards and one touchdown with no interceptions this preseason.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast