Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: Time for Vikings & Peterson to Figure Out Peterson

Marrdro wrote:
    swardsooner wrote:
    I know I'm a one-note ninny about Adrian, but the most fun watching him play at OU was his dominance in the fourth quarter...His biggest runs, his absolutely consistent ripping up of the defense came late in games. I've never seen a game so well set up for him as last Thursday night's...Minnesota has YET to see AD at his best. Crappy coaching.
    Crappy audibles.
    I'm with ya there... for AD to be at his best, he needs to wear down a D... our entire O line needs to... but if LNAD sees a 2 yard gain coming from the called play and "thinks" he can get a 4 yard gain by audibling... he does... time and time again. Seriously, you hear of friction between Chilly and LNAD because plays are getting changed... you really think those changed plays are taking the ball out of LNAD's hands and giving it to AD? Ummm, no... Chilly isn't limiting AD... LNAD is limiting AD.

LNAD had a great year last year, unbelievable by most accounts... but he still plays with his ego and at times his ego writes checks his arm can't cash. That was the case on Thursday IMO. The Vikings had a solid game plan and showed it in the first half... than LNAD started to think he knew better and whoops... "hey, if they catch it on the bounce it's still good right?"
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

swardsooner wrote:
    I know I'm a one-note ninny about Adrian, but the most fun watching him play at OU was his dominance in the fourth quarter...His biggest runs, his absolutely consistent ripping up of the defense came late in games. I've never seen a game so well set up for him as last Thursday night's...Minnesota has YET to see AD at his best. Crappy coaching.

Why do you think he's called All Day...
    Well - except for that whole SINGLE-GAME RUSHING RECORD thing.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

I would have liked to see a couple more touches by AD as well as anyone, but I will point out this one little detail.

We ran 20 total plays in the second half. Peterson was the target on 7 of them (6 runs, one pass). That's more than a third of the total plays run.

Just saying...

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Traveling_Vike wrote:
    I would have liked to see a couple more touches by AD as well as anyone, but I will point out this one little detail.

We ran 20 total plays in the second half. Peterson was the target on 7 of them (6 runs, one pass). That's more than a third of the total plays run.

Just saying...
    Love the numbers my friend. Thanks.

Quick question though.

If the goal is to get AD more involved as an everydown back, wouldn't you think that would mean that he would be in on (as the target/primary threat) at least half of those plays?

If we ran him 6 times and dumped it off to him 6 times (vice 6 r/1 p) as you mentioned, I would think the outcome would have been a bit different.

Of course, the wildcard in all of that is what would've the Aints shifted to. More of a 4-3 with a LB bitzing more instead of the 3-8 we saw alot of?

Even if they did shift more towards the front end, it would have helped the WR's (what few we saw on the field) get into the open zones as there would have been less back there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BleedinPandG wrote:
    I'm with ya there... for AD to be at his best, he needs to wear down a D... our entire O line needs to... but if LNAD sees a 2 yard gain coming from the called play and "thinks" he can get a 4 yard gain by audibling... he does... time and time again. Seriously, you hear of friction between Chilly and LNAD because plays are getting changed... you really think those changed plays are taking the ball out of LNAD's hands and giving it to AD? Ummm, no... Chilly isn't limiting AD... LNAD is limiting AD.

LNAD had a great year last year, unbelievable by most accounts... but he still plays with his ego and at times his ego writes checks his arm can't cash. That was the case on Thursday IMO. The Vikings had a solid game plan and showed it in the first half... than LNAD started to think he knew better and whoops... "hey, if they catch it on the bounce it's still good right?"
    Glad to see you haven't given up all together my friend.

The more voices of reason we get back on here the better the site will be..... :laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Peterson in my opinion is easy to figure out. He needs consistent touches, late in the game.

He needs consistent touches, early in the game.

RB by committee in the middle of the game.

All great players need to get into the flow of the game early, and continue to finish strong. Great RB's love to carry the ball 20-25 easily, and Petersons career average is 19.8 (3 Full Season, not including this year)

So, deciding to check some numbers, I checked the first 3 seasons of Emmitt Smith, and he averaged 20.4 carries. His career is 19.5 (take out AZ and it is 20.1).

So, I guess as I have typed this, I may be starting to 2nd guess myself based on numbers. I thought AP would be less than where he is.

My heart tells me we don't give him the ball enough, but the numbers show is is statistically even with Smith.

NDVikingFan66 wrote:
    Peterson in my opinion is easy to figure out. He needs consistent touches, late in the game.

All great players need to get into the flow of the game early, and continue to finish strong. Great RB's love to carry the ball 20-25 easily, and Petersons career average is 19.8 (3 Full Season, not including this year)

So, deciding to check some numbers, I checked the first 3 seasons of Emmitt Smith, and he averaged 20.4 carries. His career is 19.5 (take out AZ and it is 20.1).

So, I guess as I have typed this, I may be starting to 2nd guess myself based on numbers. I thought AP would be less than where he is.

My heart tells me we don't give him the ball enough, but the numbers show is is statistically even with Smith.
    Again, some good stuff in there. I like the comparison to Emmitt but I think AD is a bit of an anomoly......

For me, it gets back to the whole "All Day" concept. The AD thing came because of his ability to run all day, but I think you need to add in the new aspect of Catch All Day.

We saw indications of this in preseason as well as during the Aint's game. He did well picking up the blitz as well as getting out into the open zones as a pass target option for the Noodle.

They need to increase his reps, for sure, but lighten the work load on him by making him a pass catcher instead of a runner on all plays.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Marrdro wrote:
    NDVikingFan66 wrote:

Again, some good stuff in there. I like the comparison to Emmitt but I think AD is a bit of an anomoly......

For me, it gets back to the whole "All Day" concept. The AD thing came because of his ability to run all day, but I think you need to add in the new aspect of Catch All Day.

We saw indications of this in preseason as well as during the Aint's game. He did well picking up the blitz as well as getting out into the open zones as a pass target option for the Noodle.

They need to increase his reps, for sure, but lighten the work load on him by making him a pass catcher instead of a runner on all plays.
    He is brutalizing on runners, and I think that has to wear down the D. We need to pound the ball consistenly (where is Toby) and make teams pay. If we can establish the run, I think that opens our passing game.

I did like seeing AP getting out to the open area and being the checkdown. How great an option is it to have AD as your checkdown?

NDVikingFan66 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    NDVikingFan66 wrote:

He is brutalizing on runners, and I think that has to wear down the D. We need to pound the ball consistenly (where is Toby) and make teams pay. If we can establish the run, I think that opens our passing game.

I did like seeing AP getting out to the open area and being the checkdown. How great an option is it to have AD as your checkdown?
    He was out for a knee or something. I need to go see if I can find out if he is practicing this week.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Marrdro wrote:
    Glad to see you haven't given up all together my friend.

The more voices of reason we get back on here the better the site will be..... :laugh:
    Just been a bad year... Selling two houses... buying two houses... moving the family 3 times... just been crazy and can't say my head has always been in the best state of mind to come here and read a lot of the nonsense that seems to overtake the various threads the majority of the time.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast