i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Within 3 years I expect to see:

EJ
    Shank
    Sullivan
    Asher
    Tyrell Johnson

all to be gone. Of course, probably other guys who already struggle to keep a roster spot, but that's just my thought.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Within 3 years I expect to see:

EJ
    Shank
    Sullivan
    Asher
    Tyrell Johnson

all to be gone. Of course, probably other guys who already struggle to keep a roster spot, but that's just my thought.
    Add to that:

Sasser
    Hutch
    Winfield
    Griffin
    Kevin Williams
    Herrera

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    I disagree. I think Rick Spielman is a fine GM type. Not every move you make is going to be a winner, and I'm sure that the heads thought that starting a rookie QB from day one this season would be equivalent to throwing in the towel. This IS still a talented team, albeit one with several holes that desperately need filling.

We happen to have a lot of vets who are nearing the end of the line of their NFL careers (Kleinsasser, Hutchinson, Winfield, etc.), but the Vikings have done a pretty good job of bringing in youth over the past five years or so (Peterson, Harvin, Greenway, Griffen, Erin Henderson, Rudolph, etc.). We're just going to have to hope that for the most part, they now try to rebuild with youth rather than a bunch of veteran free agents (except possibly for a shutdown corner type).
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepat View Post
    albeit one with several holes that desperately need filling.

Umm. It is his job to build the roster so we don;t have those holes in it.

MossMems is offline Rookie
    I wish I knew how the Vikings system worked. After Childress left, wasnt it set up so the HC didnt have as much power? Is the VP of Player Personale the same as a GM? What is Studwell's role?

Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong...Don't AZ, St. Louis, Carolina, Miami, Jacksonville and Indianapolis all have GM's??

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    More important than hiring a GM is to remove Zygi and the rest of the Wilfs from Football decision making. No offense intended to Zygi, but he (and Mark, and Leonard) are NOT football guys. Them having an impact on football decisions has lead to poor hiring practices that have in turn lead to poor personel management, and questionable team building efforts.

A GM would effectively remove the Wilfs from Football decision making, and would give us (the fans) a singular point of failure to blame when things don't go well instead of this nebulous "Well, I think THIS guy was responsible for THIS decision, and THAT guy for that decision" we currently are forced to endure.

A GM would also open the door to the hiring of an established HC...which may or may not yield better results than we're currently experiencing.

Bottom line, I endorse the notion of hiring a GM, but I think it starts with firing Mark Wilf (No offense, Mark. You just don't belong making football decisions).

Caine

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Add to that:

Sasser
    Hutch
    Winfield

Griffin
    Kevin Williams
    Herrera
    Bolded ones are probably due to retirement more than simply moving on. Griffin is a good one I missed, he's not going to be back, same with probably Hererra.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong...Don't AZ, St. Louis, Carolina, Miami, Jacksonville and Indianapolis all have GM's??
    Correct me if I am wrong but haven't Arizona and Indy been to a SB in the past few years?

Obviously you also want a competent GM and not some schmoe off the street. But I have faith Ziggy will know better than to hire the first guy he interviews.
    Oh, wait a minute..............

Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but haven't Arizona and Indy been to a SB in the past few years?

Obviously you also want a competent GM and not some schmoe off the street. But I have faith Ziggy will know better than to hire the first guy he interviews.
    Oh, wait a minute..............

They sure have...quick question...Do you think we would've/would be contenders if Manning/Warner were our QB for the last 5-10 years? How are AZ/Indy without said QB's?

If we hire a GM and he's a lemon, it sets us back another 5+ years. If I knew we would get a Ron Wolfe or Ted Thompson type, then I would be all for it. Do you think Zigi is capable of finding and hiring a good competent GM? Good GM's are few and far between and usually only prove to handicap franchises for many years.

I personally don't think we are in all that bad of shape. We have a huge gaping hole at S, a smaller yet significant hole on the OL, a small hole at WR and I choose to believe that our biggest hole has been filled at QB finally *kneels and says a prayer*. If Ponder proves to be our franchise QB and we improve the OL and S in the off-season(draft/free agency), I believe we are SB contenders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12