Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Time to extend Allen

Scout.com: Holler: Time to extend Allen

Extend him now, use the money you save to resign either Griff or Rob this year and that will only leave you one other to get a deal done with.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

+1

We can't afford to lose Allen. In terms of his leadership and on-field play. The sooner this gets done the better.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I want them to trade his ass for a 1st and a second that we can use to trade up in the first next year and draft either our franchise MLB or Johnny Football if Ponder craps out.

He is getting up there in age but still has value to a team making a push.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    He is getting up there in age but still has value to a team making a push.
    In other words he has no value to us because we are not making a push???? hmmmmmmm

WWBGD

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    In other words he has no value to us because we are not making a push???? hmmmmmmm

No, not at all. Heck, I love him as a player but i love the team and the youth movement they are undertaking and to me the thought of getting some high draft picks for him from a team who thinks they are a player away from a SB might be more beneficial to the team in the long run.

Think of these scenarios-

One- We keep him this year and then next year when his contract is up he leaves in FA and we get nothing in return. Unless we franchise or throw a tender on him.

Two- We keep him and resign a 32 year old DE to a 18-20 Million dollar a year(or whatever the market is) contract to ensure he retires a Viking. That is going to mean we let some other players like Robison and griffin walk away.

Three- We trade him and get a 1 and a 2 pick that we then bundle with our first to move up and get Manziel at QB and EG steps up into the LDE spot at a 10 or so Million a year savings that we can use to bolster the defense.

It's just a thought, not like I don't like him or that I want hi gone, I just look at the options.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

Extend him now, use the money you save to resign either Griff or Rob this year and that will only leave you one other to get a deal done with.
    + it will keep a leader longer, and provide more room to sign three #1's to five year Rookie Contracts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

How does resigning him now save money? Are you saying that we could lower his cap number for this year, or that we have more leverage now than we will after the season when he's a free agent so we can save money in future years?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    + it will keep a leader longer, and provide more room to sign three #1's to five year Rookie Contracts.
    By my last count (really something I read) we had about $7Mill. That included enough to pay the rookies.

What we didn't have was enough to sign and FA (LBr) or cut extensions for players this year that should be getting extended so that they don't hit the FA market next year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    How does resigning him now save money? Are you saying that we could lower his cap number for this year, or that we have more leverage now than we will after the season when he's a free agent so we can save money in future years?
    Yes, typically what they do is take a players who only has one year left (at big money) and give him an extension for multiple years gauranteed and spread that money out over that time frame with a signing bonus.

In this case, takes 17Mill (or what ever it is) down to say 8 or 10. In the end, the player still gets his money, plus the signing bonus (or whatever else they can work in) plus a long term commitment (which is the big thing) and the team lowers the hit that year so they can use it else were.