Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiebreaker!

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

Tiebreaker!

With this win we helped ourselfes a whole lot in out playoff chase.Just think if the bears win the divsion (thats right i said if) then we would be stuck in the wild card chase, where we now hold a tiebreaker against both seattle and the panthers not to mention washington (although they probably wont make it to january)

I should note another thing the vikings have not allowed a 100 yard rusher in a league high 18 straight games!

EDIT:yeah here is how i c it
    new orleans 5-1 will win the south leaving the falcons 4-2 and the pamthers 4-3 to fight for a wild card
    philly will win the east with the cowboys and giants (both 3-2) with the wild card
    Seattle will win the west (cuz they have an easier schedule than the rams)
    but the rams might not even be at .500 3 weeks from now (just look at their schedule)
    Minnesota still has a chance to win the division (imo) after seeing a 1-5 cardinals team dominte grossman i think other teams can do the same.
    If we dont win the division though it will leave us in the hunt with

giants
    cowboys
    falcons
    panthers

we have the tie breaker over the panthers
    giants 3-1 comference record
    cowboys 1-1 conference record
    falcons 2-2 conference record

remember though that these teams play in very tough divisions and will probably lose to each of their division opponents at least once wich will drag their conference record down

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Tiebreaker!

What about the Cowboys? I think the Eagle will take thier division.. We will have to beat them out.. How many wild card spots are there? This is some pretty gnarly news tho!

One Love

there are two wild card spots and tyhey are decided first by how many wins you have and second by how many wins you have in your own conference.For example if the viking had won
    either the baltimore or the pitsburd steelers last year and finished at 10-6 then we still wpuld not have made the wildcard because washington had a better nfc conference record.So far the vikings have won 3 conference games and lost 1 (chicago) so to put it in perspective if we finish the season tied with seattke washington or the panthers in the wild card chase then we would hold the tiebreaker and we would make it into the playoffs

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Things are looking good so far, but there is still a lot of football to be played... I'm just going to enjoy the win for now!

I admit it is a little early to think of the playoffs but after new england we play only two teams with a winning record chicago and st loius here is what our schedule look sso far

New england 4-2
    San Francisco 2-4
    Green Bay 2-4
    Miami 1-6
    Arizona 1-5
    chicago 6-0
    Detroit 1-5
    NY Jets 3-3
    Green Bay 2-4
    St Louis 4-2

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

NE is definitely going to be a HUGE game, but we can not discount a very bad GB game either.
    No bad how badly the team sucks, they are divisional games and don't really follow the guidelines of any other sucky team.
    Chicago at home.... I hate to say it but I don't think we can win that one.
    And the Jets are better than their record.
    I have complete faith in our boys, I just don't want to look too far ahead!

You did make good points though!!

Purple Kool Aid is offline Training Camp

I know this is nit-picking, but if we end up tied with Car, Sea, Was for wild card we are in based on head to head (as that is the primary tie breaker if applicable).
    If we are tied with Dal, Stl or anybody else for that matter our 3-1 NFC record is what would come into play.

I understand that the spirit of the post is that we are in very good playoff position right now with huge head to head wins as well as a very good conference record.
    Winning yesterday really took the edge off of next week's New England game.
    While I believe that we have the guns to win the game, if we lose it won't be a huge blow as we will stay in the thick of WC scenarios and an AFC loss isn't that damaging.

There is every reason to believe that over the next 5 games we could go 4-1 with 3 home games and only 1 team with more than 2 wins on the schedule.
    5-0 is what we all want, but 4-1 puts us at 8-3 which is exactly where we need to be to stay within striking distance should Chicago fall back and likely in the driver's seat for WC.
    http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Purple" wrote:
    I know this is nit-picking, but if we end up tied with Car, Sea, Was for wild card we are in based on head to head (as that is the primary tie breaker if applicable).
    If we are tied with Dal, Stl or anybody else for that matter our 3-1 NFC record is what would come into play.

I understand that the spirit of the post is that we are in very good playoff position right now with huge head to head wins as well as a very good conference record.
    Winning yesterday really took the edge off of next week's New England game.
    While I believe that we have the guns to win the game, if we lose it won't be a huge blow as we will stay in the thick of WC scenarios and an AFC loss isn't that damaging.

There is every reason to believe that over the next 5 games we could go 4-1 with 3 home games and only 1 team with more than 2 wins on the schedule.
    5-0 is what we all want, but 4-1 puts us at 8-3 which is exactly where we need to be to stay within striking distance should Chicago fall back and likely in the driver's seat for WC.
    Washington is DONE IMO!
    Carolina and Seattle will definitely be in the mix...and there will probably be TWO teams to worry about in the NFC South (whomever doesn't win the division out of Atlanta and New Orleans).
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

It is great that everyone is looking ahead.
    I for one agree with a previous poster, lets enjoy this win and get ready for NE.

Additionally, as we saw the past two weeks (Arizona/Bears - Houston/Jax - Tampa/Philly) that good teams can be beaten or embarresed by bad teams.

I for one believe that the Bears will come back to us and that our next meeting will be just, if not more, important than the first.
    Our team keeps getting better, our coaches keep getting more comfortable in thier new positions and like yesterday, injuries will happen that will render teams better off or worse.

Lets hope things keep going along like it has so far and at the end of the season the Bears are worried about the Wild Card.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Kool Aid is offline Training Camp

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Washington is DONE IMO!
    Carolina and Seattle will definitely be in the mix...and there will probably be TWO teams to worry about in the NFC South (whomever doesn't win the division out of Atlanta and New Orleans).
    Yes, Cajun, I'm aware that a 2-5 team will not be in the playoffs.
    http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast