Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prophet Guest

Re: Tie doesn't exactly thrill everyone

Vikings finish preseason strong
    Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

Vikings vs. Cowboys Gamebook

The Minnesota Vikings (2-1-1) and Dallas Cowboy (3-0-1) ended their preseasons in unusual fashion on Thursday night at Texas Stadium. Dallas scored the tying touchdown with just 17 seconds remaining in the game and then missed two chip-shot field goals in overtime. Neither team scored in the 15-minute extra period and the game ended in a 10-10 tie.

A bend-but-don't-break defense steadied the Vikings throughout the game, while quarterback Brad Johnson (11-13, 135yds 1TD) completed a very sharp preseason against a tough Cowboys defense. During the preseason, Johnson's totals were: 34 of 45 for 333 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Dallas had six drives of 35+ yards result in no scores, including drives of 69 and 58 yards that each ended in interceptions. A resilient Vikings defense, led in tackles for the fourth consecutive game by Heath Farwell, denied the Cowboys a score until the last play of the first half and didn't allow a second score until just 17 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Willie Offord recorded his second interception of the preseason during the overtime period.

Minnesota scored on their second drive of the game, the most impressive drive of the entire preseason. Johnson led the Vikings on a nine-play, 98 yard drive the was capped off when Marcus Johnson hauled in a 24-yard touchdown pass on a deep slant route, giving the Vikings a 7-0 lead. That play came immediately after Johnson and second-year receiver Troy Williamson hooked up for 40 yards on a deep fly pattern down the left sideline. Johnson was four of four on the drive and hooked up with three different receivers.

Chester Taylor showed some versatility out of the backfield, tallying four catches for 36 yards and rushing the ball eight times for 14 yards. In total, Vikings quarterbacks completed passes to 11 different receivers. Taylor led the team in receptions with four while tight end Richard Angulo recorded three catches.

Backup quarterback Tony Romo came in and immediately led the Cowboys on a long scoring drive Romo went six for nine on the drive, completing passes to four different receivers, including Terrell Owens. The Cowboys drove from their own 20 yardline to the Vikings four yardline before Mike Vaderjagt came on to split the uprights as time expired in the first half to make the score 7-3 in favor of the Vikings.

Before that drive, Dallas first-string offense was virtually shout down by a stout Vikings defense. Quarterback Drew Bledsoe was nine of 11, but threw for just 69 yards and was intercepted by linebacker E.J. Henderson deep in Vikings territory. Starting running back Julius Jones was held to -2 yards rushing on eight carries and Owens caught just one ball for six yards.

Tarvaris Jackson began the second half for the Vikings and finished the game four of six for 29 yards. J.T. O'Sullivan took over in the fourth quarter and led the team on an impressive 13-play, 58-yard drive that ate up nearly seven and a half minutes of the game clock. On the drive, O'Sullivan completed two third-down passes to Chris Jones and Ryan Hoag. Longwell eventually capped-off the drive with a 24-yard field goal to give the Vikings a 10-3 advantage with just over six minutes remaining in the fourth quarter.

On the ensuing drive, Romo again marched the Cowboys deep into Minnesota territory after starting the drive on their own 20 yardline. Romo was eight for 11 on the drive and was able to get his team in the endzone with just 17 seconds remaining on a short pass play to running back Tyson Thompson. Before the score, the Vikings stopped the Cowboys on four consecutive plays inside the ten yardline, including three plays inside the two yardline. The touchdown and consequential extra point tied the game at 10-10 and sent the two teams into overtime.

Minnesota won the overtime coin toss and elected to receive. O'Sullivan and the Vikings were unable to garner a first down on their first drive and were forced to punt. The Cowboys, with Romo still in the game, drove down to the Vikings 15 yardline on five plays. Vanderjagt came on to win the game but missed a 35-yard field goal wide right and the game was extended.

Minnesota again was unable to muster any offense and was forced to punt after just five plays. Romo drove the Cowboys down the Vikings 39 yardline before he was intercepted by Offord, ending another Cowboys drive inside Vikings territory. After a sack and two incompletions, the Vikings again had to bring on Chris Kluwe and punt the ball away. Kluwe punted the ball eights times on the night, averaging 47.4 yards per kick and registering a long of 55 yards.

With just 3:15 remaining in the game, Romo, who would finish the game going 30-of-45 for 349 yards and two interceptions, led the Cowboys on another long drive deep into Vikings territory. Romo led the Cowboys on an eight play drive that set up Vanderjagt for another short field goal to end the game. Vanderjagt again missed a field goal, this one a 32-yard attempt, with just two seconds remaining. The Vikings ran one play before the overtime period ended, rendering the final preseason game for both teams without a winner.

Thus far in the 2006 preseason no other game has ended in a tie. The Cowboys next game will be the season-opener at Jacksonville (9/10) at 4:15PM ET. The Vikings open up their season on Monday Night Football (9/11) when they travel to FedEx Field in Washington D.C. to take on the Redskins at 7:00PM ET.

Notes:

The Vikings acquired quarterback Brooks Bollinger before the game, sending defensive tackle C.J. Mosley and an undisclosed draft pick in exchange for the former Wisconsin Badger.

Defensive back Dovonte Edwards, who started in place of injured Fred Smoot, hurt his right arm early in the game and didn't return.

The Vikings defense tallied eight total interceptions in the preseason.

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo signed a contract extension before the game.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

The Vikings killed them, Dallas is lucky its preseason.I mean they bairley tied the game with thier second string QB.Pathetic.

The Cowgirls have always been one team I hate.Along with thier UGLY jerseys.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Who cares what the final score was?
    Our #1 beat their #1 although it was pretty close IMO.
    What does concern me is our backups aren't that good.
    Our backups have lost every single game when it comes to outplaying the other team.
    That does concern me because it shows lack of depth.

I will say this.
    I think Griffith covered TO well the few plays he was given the opportunity.
    I was impressed there.
    Griffith may get more playing time now that D-Vo broke his arm.
    Hey I like that nickname for Devonte Edwards.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

At this point of the pre-season I'd be more concerned as a Dallas fan with the coach wanting to take my team into OT and the extra playing time - even if it was for the second/third string players.
    I'd say that Childress is possibly more relaxed about the state of the team than most of the media and some fans. So far I expect that we have only seen a fraction of what his WCO scheme, even the 'poor' running game has a lot more to come. The 'D' has been excellent so far and I believe that this year could finally see us have a respectable defence at long last.
    The only downsides so far have been the punt and return games, these can be worked on and I reckon that once we have a settled roster following the cuts then the return unit personnel will be more settled and produce better results.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

[quote]Backup quarterback Tony Romo came in and immediately led the Cowboys on a long scoring drive Romo went six for nine on the drive, completing passes to four different receivers, including Terrell Owens. The Cowboys drove from their own 20 yardline to the Vikings four yardline before Mike Vaderjagt came on to split the uprights as time expired in the first half to make the score 7-3 in favor of the Vikings.

Before that drive, Dallas first-string offense was virtually shout down by a stout Vikings defense. Quarterback Drew Bledsoe was nine of 11, but threw for just 69 yards and was intercepted by linebacker E.J. Henderson deep in Vikings territory. Starting running back Julius Jones was held to -2 yards rushing on eight carries and Owens caught just one ball for six yards.[/b]

One thing the guy doesn't mention is that on this drive we went to our 2nd string D and they kept in their 1st string O to work with Romo.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    What's beginning to bother me is the lack of a good punt and kickoff return game. Especially punt returns. Last night Carter (who I really like) only got 6 yards on 2 punt returns. Three years per punt. I didn't see the game except what what shown on NFL.com, but that seems pretty miserable.
    Frankly, I am more concerned about that than I am the running game which still stinks, but not as much, and I don't think Childress is showing all his blocking schemes. There doesn't seem to be much panic on the part of the Vikings on the running game so there may be a lot more there then the average fan is seeing.
    Three years per punt?
    ???

That's a pretty steep sentence for two lousey punt returns.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12