Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tie doesn't exactly thrill everyone

[size=13pt]Tie doesn't exactly thrill everyone[/size]

Brad Childress enjoyed getting extra time to evaluate his team, but his veterans didn't appreciate playing an extra period.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: September 01, 2006 – 12:24 AM

IRVING, TEXAS - This was a game only a coach could love.
    While Brad Childress came away from the Vikings' 10-10 preseason tie with Dallas feeling he had gotten a valuable extra look at his team, his players didn't really relish a fifth quarter of football on a hot, muggy night in suburban Dallas.

"Man, you never know, football is unpredictable," Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield said. "But I thought for sure after they scored they would go for two."

They didn't.

The Cowboys kicked the extra point to tie the score with 17 seconds left in the fourth quarter. Winfield also probably thought the game would end twice in overtime, but free-agent kicker Mike Vanderjagt missed wide right from 33 and 32 yards, drawing a chorus of boos.

The fact the game kept going was just fine with Childress, whose team has 11 days off before opening the regular season Sept. 11 in Washington. Childress did reward his players with the next three days off.

"You got a chance to get a last impression of a bunch of guys," Childress said, referring to the fact the roster must be cut to the 53-man limit by Saturday. "Now beyond their wildest dreams they didn't expect to play an extra quarter. That's great for them. People may not have wanted to hang around, but those guys relish those reps and the more that you get the more they can get on tape."

It was the third preseason tie in Vikings history; the team also played to a 6-6 tie with Detroit in 1966 and a 14-14 tie at San Diego in 1975. The last time the Vikings were involved in a regular-season tie game was in November 1978, when they played to a 10-10 draw at Green Bay.

While the second- and third-teamers were around for the second half and overtime, Childress had his starters play most if not all of the first half. Usually starters see limited playing time in the final preseason game.

"It was great simulation of the heat were going to face in Washington on a September night," said Childress of the 94-degree game-time temperature. "Our starters played for a half. They need to take a little inventory and see when they got to come out and be able to play another half, where their conditioning level is. I have an idea, and I think they do too now."

Winfield, who finished with eight tackles, knew what was coming even if he was bit more tired than usual after the final exhibition game.

"Coach told us early in the week that we were going to play two quarters," he said. "Usually the first team may play a series or two. But he's the head coach, he's the boss, he's doing it his way, so all we have to do is follow."

The first-team defense continued to play well and gave up only three first-half points, stopping a Dallas drive deep in Vikings territory when linebacker E.J. Henderson intercepted a second-quarter pass by Drew Bledsoe after end Kenechi Udeze hit the quarterback's arm. The Vikings finished the preseason with eight interceptions, including three Thursday.

"To have eight INTs in the preseason, obviously they are doing some things in the back end and also from a pressure standpoint," Childress said.

Receiver Terrell Owens' hamstring felt well enough for him to make his Cowboys debut, but he did not start and had only one catch for 6 yards in limited time.

The Vikings' lone touchdown came in the second quarter when Brad Johnson connected with Marcus Robinson on 24-yard pass. One play earlier receiver Troy Williamson had beaten cornerback Anthony Henry to haul in Johnson's 40-yard pass at the Dallas 24-yard line.

Johnson completed 11 of 13 passes for 135 yards in the half and had a rating of 135.6. Running back Chester Taylor caught a team-leading four passes for 36 yards.

But, once again, the Vikings running game failed to produce. Taylor, who signed a four-year, $14.1 million free-agent contract during the offseason to leave Baltimore and assume a starting job, rushed for 14 yards on eight carries He finished the preseason with 95 rushing yards on 37 carries, a less-than-impressive 2.6 average.

And, of course, that means absolutely nothing as of this morning. "I'm looking forward to the season," said Johnson, who was probably speaking for all his teammates, too.

Judd Zulgad • [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Tie doesn't exactly thrill everyone

[size=13pt]Vikings' 'D' outshines T.O.'s debut[/size]

Final exhibition game ends in tie after Vanderjagt's two misses

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

IRVING, Texas — Even the Dallas Cowboys debut of receiver Terrell Owens couldn't upstage another dominating performance by the Vikings' starting defense.

Led again by their defensive line, the Vikings kept the Cowboys' offense out of the end zone, limiting the home team to a first-half field goal. But the Vikings' backups were outscored by their Cowboys counterparts, and Dallas kicker Mike Vanderjagt missed two field-goal attempts inside of 35 yards in overtime to produce a 10-10 tie Thursday night.

The coaches had differing perspectives on the result.

The Vikings' Brad Childress was calm and generally positive, while Cowboys coach Bill Parcells clearly was distraught.

"We can't do the things we did tonight and expect to win," Parcells said. "We had two turnovers in the red zone. Two point-blank field goals for the win and couldn't make those."

Against a team that prides itself on running the football, the Vikings limited the Cowboys to 12 yards on 12 carries in the first half. Starting running back Julius Jones had minus-2 yards on eight carries, with a long run of 1 yard.

The Vikings weren't much better, with Chester Taylor gaining just 14 yards on eight carries, and the club gaining just 22 yards by halftime. Both coaches credited the opposing defensive line.

"They have a pretty good front," Parcells said. "We had some problems, but so did they."

Although the Cowboys had some success through the air, the Vikings' defense held up at key points, including picking off a pass early in the third quarter. The play looked similar to others this preseason: Defensive end Kenechi Udeze pressured Drew Bledsoe and got his arm on the quarterback as he was about to pass the ball. Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson intercepted the tipped pass at the Vikings' 4-yard line and returned it 7 yards.

Bledsoe was sharp, making sound decisions. But he was clearly rushed by the Vikings' pass rush, even though they didn't muster a sack. Bledsoe finished 9 of 11 for 69 yards.

Owens made his debut in the second quarter but did not catch a pass until Tony Romo replaced Bledsoe. Owens caught just one pass for 6 yards.

"It felt good to run around and be with the guys, just to get my hands on the ball," said Owens, who has been hobbled with a hamstring injury all preseason. "We had some opportunities, but we didn't connect. It's a long season."

Late in the second quarter, with the Cowboys threatening, Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin sent his starting defensive line back into the game.

With the Cowboys inside Minnesota's 10-yard line, the defensive line applied pressure, and the Cowboys had to settle for a 22-yard field goal. The Vikings led 7-3 at halftime, thanks to a very nice drive from the starting offense.

Although he was on the sideline, Vikings center Matt Birk did not start because of flu-like symptoms. Otherwise, the starting offense played, and they played well during key stretches, including arguably their best drive of the preseason. The Vikings started from their 2-yard line because of a nice punt from Matt McBriar. But the Vikings chipped away, with key catches from Chester Taylor. On third and 10 from the Vikings' 15, Taylor cut hard and juked Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman. He then got just enough to make the first down.

On the second play of the second quarter, Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson connected with Troy Williamson on a 40-yard fly pattern down the left sideline. On the next play, Johnson found a slanting Marcus Robinson for a 24-yard touchdown.

"We didn't let the field position become a disadvantage," Johnson said.

"I think we faced... some of the best defenses in the league," Johnson said earlier. "So I think we are prepared (for the regular season)."

As expected, the Vikings did not play veteran quarterback Mike McMahon, whose future seemed sealed after the club traded defensive tackle C.J. Mosley and what is believed to be a seventh-round draft pick to the New York Jets for quarterback Brooks Bollinger.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys did not score a touchdown until late in the fourth quarter, when Romo completed a 2-yard pass to running back Tyson Thompson with 17 seconds remaining.

The game went to overtime, and the Vikings won the toss. But rookie running back Wendell Mathis dropped a third-down pass from quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan. The Vikings then punted. With Romo leading the offense, Thompson ran through a gaping hole in the middle for a 22-yard gain against the Vikings' last-string defense. Thompson then chipped in with a 13-yard run that took the Cowboys to the Vikings' 13-yard line. After a kneel down by Romo, Vanderjagt had a chance to win the game, but he missed a 33-yarder.

Vanderjagt later missed a 32-yarder as well, with six seconds left.

"To be honest," he said, "I have no excuses. They were both horrible kicks."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

What's beginning to bother me is the lack of a good punt and kickoff return game. Especially punt returns. Last night Carter (who I really like) only got 6 yards on 2 punt returns. Three years per punt. I didn't see the game except what what shown on NFL.com, but that seems pretty miserable.
    Frankly, I am more concerned about that than I am the running game which still stinks, but not as much, and I don't think Childress is showing all his blocking schemes. There doesn't seem to be much panic on the part of the Vikings on the running game so there may be a lot more there then the average fan is seeing.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The tie was just fine by me...it was a PRESEASON game fer crissakes!!!!

Besides, our STARTERS outplayed their STARTERS...so it's all good! (and yeah, I know T-HO didn't play much, but so what)
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

looks like vanderchoke hasnt gotten over the indy-pitsburgh game!
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I would have liked to see T-Jack play the rest of the game, and not have let JT O'Dullivan play at all.
    It is obvious that JT is going to be cut (you just traded for a new backup QB), so why not let T-Jack get more time on the field and hopefully it is the last time he sees any significant time on the field for the rest of the year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

i belive you mean jt getting cut. i almost had a heart attack when you said TJ getting cut. thought i missed a few games where he did really bad or something.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

I thought the first team offense played well, but the D played way too loose. Yeah they stopped them when it mattered but getting off the field and being fresh for the whole game is just as important. I was at the game and surprised at how many Vikes fans are in Dallas. My voice is half gone from yelling so much last night

Prophet Guest

Anytime T-Ho is held to almost nothing it is a good day.

oakmage is offline Starter

"mr.woo" wrote:
    looks like vanderchoke hasnt gotten over the indy-pitsburgh game!
    Maybe he just need a few beer to get him going ;D, of course he could just be Karma coming back ot haunt him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast