Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Tidbit on Smoot.

Fred Smoot

One thing I’ve noticed in my time covering this team is the amount of hate directed toward CB Fred Smoot I just can’t quite figure it out.
    Is he Deion Sanders? Clearly he’s not, despite possessing an ego roughly the same size. But is it really fair to hold him to that standard? I don’t think so.

People point to him playing so far off receivers and having balls caught in front of him. Understand that he’s only doing what the defensive coaches are telling him to do and keeping teams from making the big play over the top. Only two teams in the NFL have given up fewer TD passes than the Vikings, a direct result of how well Smoot and the rest of the secondary is executing their assignments.

Rule changes in the NFL do not allow for a “shut down” corner to exist anymore so it’s unfair to put those sorts of expectations on Smoot. People need to get over the fact that he has a big contract and a mouth to match and be happy with the fact that a repeat of last year’s Steve Smith game seems highly unlikely with the way Smoot is playing right now. You don’t have to like him as a person, but to trash him for not giving up touchdowns seems a bit backwards to me.

http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/local/story.aspx?content_id=C80E22AB-6ACF-49F3-A741-0B8FEFF2F8B2

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Tidbit on Smoot.

If he was like Champ Bailey, he wouldn't have to leave such a cushion. I'd like to believe that and give smoot some slack, but I'm not really fond of smoot anyway.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"DPep11" wrote:
    If he was like Champ Bailey, he wouldn't have to leave such a cushion. I'd like to believe that and give smoot some slack, but I'm not really fond of smoot anyway.
    I'm a fan of the "mug and jam" corner.
    Slam'em at the line and keep pounding them in the five yard zone.
    Messes up the pattern and the timing.
    But it's hard for Smoot to do that if he's ten yards off the receiver.
    Of course, if you're lined up against Shockey, Big Jimmy, etc., that could be difficult...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"DPep11" wrote:
    But Smoot isn't like Champ Bailey, and he never will be. And expecting him to be that good is completely unfair.

Although I'm not all the crazy about him either, I do think he takes a lot of shit that he doesn't deserve from fans. He was never brought in here to be the next Champ Bailey, and anyone who thought that is retarded.

But you look at the secondary now, and compare it to the secondary we had a few years ago, and we've had a HUGE improvement. Of course, a lot of that is also Winfield and Sharper, but Smoot isn't the kind of sieve that we used to have.

Is he overpaid? Yes.
    Does he still contribute to the team? Yes.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

I have seen lots of people bash smoot.. he's taken sooooo much flack and everyone I talk to back home has nothing but disgruntled things to say bout him.

so far our D has proven they are something of a force to deal with.

O's that we've kept under 20 points.. (and that's every O we've faced) have scored 30's and 40's on other teams. so.. if u ask me.. seems everyone is playing thair position.. and making the plays they need to be making. I don't see smoot winning over the state of mn.. but i hpe i see some more faith in the players we have..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    "DPep11" wrote:
    But Smoot isn't like Champ Bailey, and he never will be. And expecting him to be that good is completely unfair.

Although I'm not all the crazy about him either, I do think he takes a lot of pooh that he doesn't deserve from fans. He was never brought in here to be the next Champ Bailey, and anyone who thought that is Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd.

But you look at the secondary now, and compare it to the secondary we had a few years ago, and we've had a HUGE improvement. Of course, a lot of that is also Winfield and Sharper, but Smoot isn't the kind of sieve that we used to have.

Is he overpaid? Yes.
    Nice post.

The guy is not worth the $$$ we paid him.
    And to make matters worse, he ran his mouth a whole lot last year.

If he did not run his mouth and had a lower salary, he would be average.
    Its not like he is out there giving 100% on every play.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Once again, the cushion being so soft must be what the coaching scheme is calling for. Smoots not playing that far off intentionally. So I don't see why people are bashing him for it.

Some people give me the impression that they think Smoot is saying, "Screw you coach, I'm playing 10 yards off my guy regardless of what you say".

Sorry, but if Tomlin doesn't want him playing that far off the ball, he would have corrected the situation or benched Smoot already.

If you pay attention, you'll see Winfield playing that far off the receivers as well.

It's a zone defense & I've seen Winfield get passes caught underneath him as well, but he tackles them immediately.

There in lies the biggest problem with Smoot, besides being way overpaid.

His inability to tackle the receiver & lack of intensity to go after the ball carrier after the catch & tackle him, is what makes him a mediocre DB & why I think that he is.

As with any player that's fans despise on the team, fans will look for anything & everything to pin blame or fault on that player & turn their heads to other players they like, who do similar things.

I believe it was the Bears game where I watched Winfield give up at least two 3rd & long passes. If I recall correctly, one was like 3rd & 17. He tackled his player immediately, which Smoot would have a tough time doing, but the chains moved nevertheless.

Not one thread was started about that, but I'll bet if Smoot was the cover guy on those plays, there would have been multiple threads started about it before the game even ended.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "DPep11" wrote:

Although I'm not all the crazy about him either, I do think he takes a lot of pooh that he doesn't deserve from fans. He was never brought in here to be the next Champ Bailey, and anyone who thought that is Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd.

Is he overpaid? Yes.
    Nice post.

How can you say he isn't out there trying hard on every play???
    I have never seen him take a play off or not try to make a tackle.
    He is willing to throw his body at just about anyone in order to make a tackle, even though it may be a poorly executed tackle.
    Winfield has just as many balls caught on him as smoot does but everybody turns a blind eye to this because they like his hitting style
    (myself included).
    I do agree that smoot could be a better tackler but he is superior to winfield when it comes to coverage.
    He has better speed and turns his hips better than any corner on the team.
    And at his contract, he souldn't be compared to roland "champ" bailey anyway.
    I think his contract is somewhere around the 50 to 60 million dollar range.

Del Rio Guest

"thepacksux" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "DPep11" wrote:

Is he overpaid? Yes.
    Nice post.

How can you say he isn't out there trying hard on every play???
    I have never seen him take a play off or not try to make a tackle.
    He is willing to throw his body at just about anyone in order to make a tackle, even though it may be a poorly executed tackle.
    Winfield has just as many balls caught on him as smoot does but everybody turns a blind eye to this because they like his hitting style
    (myself included).
    I do agree that smoot could be a better tackler but he is superior to winfield when it comes to coverage.
    He has better speed and turns his hips better than any corner on the team.
    And at his contract, he souldn't be compared to roland "champ" bailey anyway.
    I think his contract is somewhere around the 50 to 60 million dollar range.
    This is not pee wee football. Effort does not equal succeess. He does throw his body around and it gets him hurt. He misses tackles all the time.

There is something to be said for effort no doubt but at this level results pay off more then effort if he tries his hardest and still cant get the job done then he needs to move on.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

I wasn't trying to defend his tackling skills, merely the fact that he is not out there pulling a moss and taking plays off.
    I don't think he will be leaving the team anytime too soon.
    He made a very nice tackle on schleshinger on third down in the lions game that was perfectly executed.
    He also whiffed on one against hakim during the lions third quarter drive that resulted in a touchdown.
    The difference between him and winfield is that he is much less likely to give up a longer route.
    You dont see very many teams throwing 15 yd passes on him.
    However, they do throw deep against winfield.

Dont think i dont like winfield because of my comparisons, he is definitely one of my fav players on the team.
    I am merely trying to say that smoot is still better than a lot of the corners in the league and we could definitely be worse off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast