Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Tice's Clock Management Theory

Last year Tice explained that he used ball control offense in an effort to keep his defense off the field. I may be wrong, but I think most of us agreed that that game plan was flawed, and led to several losses last year. It's great if you can score every time you get the ball, but generally you turn the ball over at least a couple of times per game, punt a couple of times, and that leaves you maybe a couple of scores with your other possessions..., a low scoring game right? Well at least for the Vikings. The problem was the defense last year was terrible. Because the defense was so bad I would argue that you open up the offense, get a lead, then use ball control late in the game.

Today's article in Viking Update talks about Parcell's, and how he builds with Defense first, THEN uses ball control offense..., it said:

"Much like in Parcells days as head coach of the New York Giants back in the late 80's and early 90's, Parcells brought in veteran running back O.J. Anderson to pair up with Joe Morris, all in an attempt to control the clock. Winning with defense was the motto with those Giants teams, expect more of the same with George and Jones."

I suppose this theory is open to debate, but it's hard to argue against a coach as successful as Parcells. ... Thoughts? ...

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Is this anything like his draft day clock management theory? If so, I think you're screwed on game day, too.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Los you're so good at pointing out the obvious, that the rest of us just seem to miss.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Tice's Clock Management Theory

"SKOL" wrote:
    Last year Tice explained that he used ball control offense in an effort to keep his defense off the field. I may be wrong, but I think most of us agreed that that game plan was flawed, and led to several losses last year. It's great if you can score every time you get the ball, but generally you turn the ball over at least a couple of times per game, punt a couple of times, and that leaves you maybe a couple of scores with your other possessions..., a low scoring game right? Well at least for the Vikings. The problem was the defense last year was terrible. Because the defense was so bad I would argue that you open up the offense, get a lead, then use ball control late in the game.

Today's article in Viking Update talks about Parcell's, and how he builds with Defense first, THEN uses ball control offense..., it said:

"Much like in Parcells days as head coach of the New York Giants back in the late 80's and early 90's, Parcells brought in veteran running back O.J. Anderson to pair up with Joe Morris, all in an attempt to control the clock. Winning with defense was the motto with those Giants teams, expect more of the same with George and Jones."

I suppose this theory is open to debate, but it's hard to argue against a coach as successful as Parcells. ... Thoughts? ...

I agree. It was this stupid ball control offense that kept all of the crappy teams in the games last year, allowing them to pull out victories against us. This year, we have a better D and should be able to rely on them a ot more though, so maybe he will change his thinking some to adapt to our new D.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I don't think it was all ball control offense. Doug Flutie was a problem, Daunte's turnovers vs Oakland, missed opportunities vs AZ. That same offense helped us to a 6-0 start too.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I don't think it was all ball control offense. Doug Flutie was a problem, Daunte's turnovers vs Oakland, missed opportunities vs AZ. That same offense helped us to a 6-0 start too.

It was the ball control/conservative play calling that made it easy for crappy teams to beat us. Tice did say that he was gonna be more aggressive on offense this year, against every team no matter how good they were. He said he wished he did that last year.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Ball control/ conservative offense is good, bu only when combined with opening it up every now and then. Alot of our wins game from establishing a good running game early on, the throwing the ball deep a couple times for TDs. Alot of our losses came from running the ball ALL THE TIME.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Chicago Mike is offline Waterboy

Clock management? Interesting.

I look at the game plans, and we, IMHO,

A. Played DOWN to the competion. "Lunch Pail" game in Chgo was a PRIME ex. Played their style, NOT ours.

B. Different game plans, home & away. Actually seemed like different
    teams.
    Played not too lose, rather than, to win, on the rd.

Sure, once Denver exposed our D, ESPECIALLY at the edges, we
    needed to adj.

But going into a shell, or not opening up the O, was as much poor
    game planning, as anything.

Tice should feel more confident with our upgrades on D, but I think
    he's learned that we SHOULD be the DICTATORS.
    The o could've carried us last yr., IF he would have just, LET IT!

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Unless Tice and the Vikings get to the Super Bowl this year, I'll say what I've said since he was first offered the head-coaching job...FIRE MIKE TICE.

As you all know I did not get to see or have time to hear any of the season last year :crybaby: lets say I was preoccupied 8) but from what I have been able to find out it is like VKG4LFE says alot of missed opportunities and situations that caused the team play respectable but not up to what we all believe and know should have happened ale: the O line to carry the team as far as it did and my hats off to them :salute: TICE did what he could with what he had and as no one is perfect droped the ball a few times with miss called plays at critical times unfortunately Sh8t Happens :blackeye: thank goodness this is football and not life we all get another chance, ccasion5: hopefully TICE learned from those mistakes and things will be better this year. / .. :-k I want to believe he more than any of us knows what he needs to do and it seems is making it so. we can see it by the build up of a new D line which looks very promising :naka: the way he has talk to the press and all of us it would seem he is turning the VIKES into not only the #1 rate Offensive team but also the #1 rated Defensive team it should have been last year =D> , from what i hear the preseason is right on track and everyone is working together to make our team, the fans, the states, NFL Champainon this year. :salute: .. and my hats off to them for getting ready to open a major can of whoopa$$ :violent3: on anybody who steps on their gridiron (the dome) again one of the areas that has been talk about before is the away games and our ablities to control the other side on their own turf with a good D working to get the ball to the O as quickly as possible no matter where they are that to can be done and if they suceed :headbang: we all will be fighting to find tickets to ALLSTATE in Jacksonville this year.

Injuries not included

what am i saying :scratch: let see where we go the first few games it will show us if TICE is TALKING the TALK or Taking a walk :happy9:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast