Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is Tice the Worst Coach in the NFC North?

Tice is ok for a coach. look at belechick he sucked even more before he was a great coach.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Interesting.

Most of you know my contempt for Tice, which I will freely admit will taint my evaluation. But I do think he's a doofus to the extreme, and why he is still coaching you guys is beyond me.

You guys have had incredible starts the past two years, then watched it fritter away. That's coaching. It's all motivation and momentum. Honestly, had you traded Moss away a year or so ago, and brought in a real coach, you guys MAY have already been to a Super Bowl.

Sherman is also a bit of a doofus, but like it or not, he's got one of the best records of any Packer coach in history. Trouble is, he chooses to fritter things away as soon as we start the playoffs.

Mariucci...I love the guy, from the UP, but face it...what has he really done yet? He inherited a good SF team, then watched it melt away. He has added talent after talent to the team in Detroit, but still hasn't made much more than a ripple. By comparison, Parcells took a loser and made it a winner fast in Dallas.

Lovie...I'm not high on him either. Maybe it is the "baby step" approach, but he made it out that the end-all, be-all was to beat the Packers. They did, then fell apart. I think your goals as a coach should be a little more expansive.

Honestly...I don't think the North is exactly loaded with great coaches.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

ACinMN is offline Waterboy

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    You guys have had incredible starts the past two years, then watched it fritter away. That's coaching. It's all motivation and momentum.
    Not totally. Some of it was that dumb ass Onterrio Smith being suspended. Some of it was Mewelde Moore getting hurt. Some of it was other key injuries (Matt Birk). Some of it was one of the worst defenses in the league.

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Honestly, had you traded Moss away a year or so ago, and brought in a real coach, you guys MAY have already been to a Super Bowl.
    No, the Viking defense has not been the Viking defense since before Denny in 92. No defense at all = no title.

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Mariucci...I love the guy, from the UP, but face it...what has he really done yet? He inherited a good SF team, then watched it melt away. He has added talent after talent to the team in Detroit, but still hasn't made much more than a ripple.
    I agree with you here. He really hasn't done anything. Detroit still sucks. SF never improved under him, they just carried on.

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    By comparison, Parcells took a loser and made it a winner fast in Dallas.
    For a year. And a lot of those games were close ones at that. They sucked last year...under his coaching. They were a pretender, like the Wild a couple of years ago. They won, but they were not a strong team.

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Honestly...I don't think the North is exactly loaded with great coaches.
    I'll agree with you here too. I don't think coaches today get the same consideration of past coaches though. They are more like NBA coaches. They manage the salary cap.

I can't imagine Bud Grant, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, or even Dan Reeves with short term contracts, players that leave as soon as they develop, or the instant gratification that fans need now. Those coaches all made their name on long term player development, good low round picks, and solid game plans. You simply aren't going to see coaches with the lifetime winning percentages of those guys anymore. Bill Belichek might be there right now, but when he approaches their 15-20 year head coaching careers, then we can compare their all time records.

DEVIKINGFAN! is offline Pro-Bowler

BREAKING NEWS!!!
    BUD GRANT HAS AGREED TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT!!!
    Ow nevermind.. Its Friday, Training camp has started and I'm drinkin lots of beer......

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn t thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

clien is offline Waterboy

probably is the worst coach in the nfc north, but he aint a bad coach, he's one of the best player coaches in league imo..who else interacts w/ their players like tice?

btw im new to the site--very cool, definitly one of the top sports sites on the web(lakers have a pretty cool one too) but his one takes the cake

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"clien" wrote:
    probably is the worst coach in the nfc north, but he aint a bad coach, he's one of the best player coaches in league imo..who else interacts w/ their players like tice?

btw im new to the site--very cool, definitly one of the top sports sites on the web(lakers have a pretty cool one too) but his one takes the cake

Hey right on buddy! Welcome to the forums.. Go to the free beer section and claim ur brew.. I agree Tice is great at interacting with the players

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Tice is the best coach in the NFC North.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Justin311 is offline Rookie

While there's no doubt Tice ain't the sharpest pencil in the box (rimshot) i thought the time he came out for practice in his old uniform was quite funny and something the players could laugh at. Grant he is not, he's nothing like Burnsy, he's probably somewhere between Denny Green and Les Steckel (ugly visual please don't try it) and he may have learned a bit under Denny but he got the job because Red didn't wanna pay anyone else a lot of money to come in. I think Ziggy will give him this year and thats it. If the new stadium gets approved in the next year and Tice does less than a playoff berth this season I am willing to bet Tice will be fired.

That being said I truly hope this year is better than last year.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Tice is a great guy, he may not be the best coach in the world, but honestly the head coach is not as important as we all think.

Before everyone goes insane, read what I have to write.

There are so many specialty and position coaches that all the head coach has left to do is interact with the players, and Tice is great at that. Offensive coordinators do call most of the plays, tice is really like the middle man to get it from OC to QB.
    Defensive coordinators call the defense, almost always. Offensive line coach, WR coach, RB coach, special teams coach, LB coach, DB coach, D line coach, the list goes on and on.

So with all of these coaches doing their jobs, Mike Tice doesn't really have all that much to do. and the fact that he is not as involved in calling the plays and what not as other coaches is because he was never an offensive or defensive coordinator.

So him being a players coach, and having a good supporting cast, and some veteran leadership is all we need.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567