singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tice will crack down on tardiness, rule breakers

Howry may not be suited up & Withrow will not start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tice will crack down on tardiness, rule breakers
    Kevin Seifert
    Last update: October 13, 2005 at 9:57 PM

Like every other NFL team, the Vikings must formulate a list of eight inactive players before each game. Typically those decisions are based on injuries and specific schematic game plans. On Sunday, the Vikings' list might be related to other reasons.

On the heels of this week's investigation into an alleged sex party aboard two boats on Lake Minnetonka, coach Mike Tice has ratcheted up discipline on other internal matters. Specifically, Tice has threatened to deactivate any player who is late to a meeting or breaks any of a number of other team rules.

Tice has not commented on the approach but he alluded to it during his daily news conference Thursday at Winter Park. When asked a question about the configuration of his active roster for Sunday's game at Chicago, Tice said: "It all depends on how the week plays out and also that everybody shows up on time. If somebody doesn't show up on time, then I get a free spot. Then I can use that spot."

At least a promise

Did Tice guarantee a win Sunday?

That was the question the Vikings coach faced Thursday, a day after his weekly radio show with Dan Barreiro on KFAN-1130. During their Wednesday night broadcast, Tice said: "We're going to win the game this week."

"Is that a guarantee?" Barreiro asked.

"We're going to win the game this week," Tice repeated.

Thursday, Tice said: "We better win this Sunday. We spent two long weeks getting ready for it. The goal is for us to win. If we do the things we need to do, first starting with not turning the ball over, then we should be able to make enough plays on both sides of the ball and special teams to come out on top."

Injury update

The Vikings removed safety Darren Sharper (knee) from their injury report after he took part in their entire practice for the second consecutive day. Running back Moe Williams (knee) participated in a portion of practice and appears on track to play Sunday. .

Defensive end Lance Johnstone (strained pectoral muscle) made it through the entire practice, but defensive tackle Spencer Johnson (knee) sat out practice and it remains highly unlikely that he will be available to play.

Meanwhile, Chicago held offensive linemen Ruben Brown (chest), John Tait (ankle) and running back Thomas Jones (knee) out of practice for the second consecutive day.

Etc.

•Tice said Koren Robinson will return kickoffs Sunday, but it is unclear if Keenan Howry, will be in uniform to return punts.

•Center Cory Withrow has been told he will not start Sunday, meaning backup Melvin Fowler will get his first start.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Tice will crack down on tardiness, rule breakers

thats what we like to hear tice!! go tom coughlin on 'em thats what we need. less a players coach and more a coach coach. WE WILL WIN!

Go vikes!!

DaScRuM is offline Rookie

IMO, too little, too late. My hunch is Viking fans will see a new coaching staff next year. And not only that, depending on how many involved, Wilf will try to restore the integrety of the team-----in other words, we may see quite a few new names on next year's roster.

As a longtime Vikings fan, I would be 100% behind Wilf. And it would be a great move to get back on track of getting out of that stinkin' Dome!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"DaScRuM" wrote:
    in other words, we may see quite a few new names on next year's roster.

As a longtime Vikings fan, I would be 100% behind Wilf. And it would be a great move to get back on track of getting out of that stinkin' Dome!!!
    We could, but not likely IMO. Were talking about misdemeanors at the worst. The latest I've posted is that the crew has been talking primarily about two incidents were photo's were taken. One involving a man & a female & another involving two females & toys.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

I don't think it is ever too late.

I question him putting in Fowler, but maybe he actually outplayed him in practice. Maybe Daunte went up to Tice and said his hands fit better in Fowlers crack then Withrow's who knows.

Changes are being made, and that may be good. Then again the players said they were confused by the constant change so. Hopefully they keep things the same for a few weeks after a major change to give it time.

The last thing I want to see is a shuffling of players every week. On the outside it may sound good, but in my experience it is a sign of panic, and it does more damage then good.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Yes! Tice making some changes.. Let's hope they help.. Atleast he's trying to do something to help the team.. Let's win on sunday!

scott72 is offline Rookie

Wow guaranteeing a win huh? I've never understood why players and coached do this. As if the Bears weren't motivated before, wow, they'll be fired up to play you guys now... :roll: I understand trying to fire up your team, but do it behind closed doors, this does nothing but motivate the other team.
    Go Pack go!!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

We're going to win this sunday!!! :lol:

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

What is the guarantee anyway? If the Vikes lose does Tice quit? A very stupid thing to say!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

It's actually pretty smart IMO. He has nothing to lose.

If he says WE WILL WIN THIS GAME. Then that is just a part of us against the world outlook. If we lose no one says a word the world thinks we suck.

If we win the team will get an even bigger boost in confidence. They will feel their coach has confidence in them. There is nothing better in the world then your opponent knowing what you are going to do and STILL not being able to stop you. It's find and dandy to say psssst. hey guys come here *whisper* we're going to win........in the lockerroom.

When you look your opponent in the eye and say we will win, we are better, you will lose. And you do win it's huge.

I like the move. I understand why some don't though.