Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tice softens shot at staff second-guesses

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 24, 2005 at 10:14 PM

Tice softens shot at staff second-guesses

"Everybody wants to win, and everybody wants to do well," Tice said. "And then when you do, you get emotional. One thing you never want to do is get sensitive, and maybe I was a little sensitive [Sunday] because I took a shot at a couple of my own guys. I hope those guys will forgive me because I know they have my back."

After Sunday's 23-20 victory over Green Bay, Tice suggested that "vice presidents should vice president their departments and let us do our jobs on the field." Tice apparently was alluding to the late-game scene in the box of Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings vice president of football operations.

Assistant coaches in the adjoining booth could hear people in Brzezinski's box, which included owner Zygi Wilf, loudly calling for Tice to take his final timeout with about a minute remaining and the Packers lining up for a game-tying field goal. Tice chose not to use the timeout, saving it instead for the drive that got the Vikings in position for the game-winning 56-yard field goal by Paul Edinger.

Wilf did not respond to a request for comment Monday. Brzezinski has declined comment.

Trust your instincts

Safety Darren Sharper produced four pages of handwritten notes on his former team, the Packers, last week. Did they help?

"I didn't really go off my notes," he said. "I didn't trust them. There were a couple of routes I could have jumped, but I was afraid they might have tried to switch some things up on me, but they didn't. It was a little bit of cat and mouse. I didn't jump too many things, but I could have if I would have believed the things I had seen in the past."

Sharper finished the game with four tackles but did not get his hands on any of Brett Favre's 36 passes.

Empty feeling

The Vikings went with an empty backfield about 10 times in Sunday's game, the first time they have used the look this season.

"It was to give us some easy reads for the quarterback and also enabled [quarterback Daunte Culpepper], because he's healthy, to be able to run with the football and just kind of spread them out a little bit more," offensive coordinator Steve Loney said.

The Vikings' first touchdown Sunday, a 27-yard pass from Culpepper to Marcus Robinson, came out of the empty look.

Etc.

• Linebacker Dontarrious Thomas, whom the Vikings use in their nickel defense, hopes to return Sunday after missing the Green Bay game because of a bruised right shoulder. "I think it is realistic," to return, he said. "The one thing we were worried about is my strength and it's coming along really good."

• Receiver Nate Burleson, who caught three passes Sunday after missing three games because of a sprained left knee, said he received treatment Monday and felt "pretty good."

• The Vikings plan to bring in former Chicago offensive tackle Marc Colombo for a workout today. Colombo, the Bears' first-round pick in 2002, was released in September.

• The misdemeanor domestic assault trial of defensive tackle Kevin Williams is scheduled to begin this week.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Tice softens shot at staff second-guesses

"singersp" wrote:
    • The Vikings plan to bring in former Chicago offensive tackle Marc Colombo for a workout today. Colombo, the Bears' first-round pick in 2002, was released in September.
    Does anyone know anything about this guy?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

"Drafts Marc Columbo with our first round pick. Considered a second round prospect by draft experts. The same draft experts who appear correct in their analysis that Columbo needed to add strength in order to compete at the NFL level. Columbo was not durable enough to last more than five starts in the NFL. What might have been?"

The Bears released their left tackle and were scrambling for a replacement that is the only reason the guy was drafted in the first round. He has had work outs with Dallas last week they weren't impressed.

Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

i'm surprised rob berzeznki did what he did. i'm a huge fan of what he has done it the past, but this surprises me...
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Marc Columbo eh? Maybe he can replace Rosey before the end of the season.. That would be sweet

Lando is offline Rookie

Former Bears OL Marc Colombo - Vikes workout!

The Vikes are bringing in former Bears offensive lineman Marc Colombo for a workout today. Is this guy any good?

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Former Bears OL Marc Colombo - Vikes workout!

From what I have heard, he isn't that good. Seems like he was rushed into the NFL and was drafted much too high.

We are like the team for draft picks that didn't work out now.

shawn is offline Rookie

Former first round pick by the bears. Looks like he was the fourth or fifth rated O-lineman the year we drafted Bryant Mckinnie and didnt work out.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Here is scouting service report on him.
    He is big guy 6-7, and 320 pounds. But he has had a lot of knee problems, and has not panned out as of yet. Maybe he can stay healthy, and get his career back on track! He is worth taking a chance on!

If he can get past the knee injury, and put some muscle on. With some playing time maybe we get a good player with no risk!!!

Ht: 6-7.5 Wt: 320
    Position: OT
    Date of Birth: 10/8/1978
    Experience: 4
    College: Boston College

Biography:
    2005 - Chicago:
    1999 first round pick (29th overall) has battled a knee injury he sustained as a rookie. Returned after nearly two years of rehabilitation from a dislocated left patella (kneecap) to play in the final eight games of the 2004 season. Will compete for a backup role in 2005. Has appeared in 18 career games, including 7 starts. Has blocked 2 career field goal attempts.
    2004: Started year on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List while rehabilitating his injured left knee... Elevated to active roster in Week 10 and participated in 8 games, starting 2 at LT... GAMES PLAYED-STARTED: 8-2

2003: Spent the entire season rehabilitating his injured left knee.

2002: Participated in the first 10 games of season, ascending to starting LT spot for his final 5 contests before missing the final 6 games due to his left knee injury.

COLLEGE: Allowed no sacks in 20 games started over his final 2 years of career at Boston College (1998-2001). Helped pave way for a 1,000-yard rusher in each of his 4 seasons. Played both RT and LT as a senior, earning All-Big East Conference first-team honors by The NFL Draft Report despite missing team's final 4 games with a knee injury. Part of O-line that generated 4,361 yards and featured 1,000-yard rusher William Green; started first 2 games at RT before moving to LT for 6 games. Initially moved into starting lineup as a junior, starting all 12 games at RT for NCAA's 21st-ranked rushing team (201.0 ypg) and Big East's third-ranked offense (414.9 total ypg) on an Oline that surrendered only 6 sacks. Played in 7 games as a sophomore, including the Insight.com Bowl. Participated in 6 games as a true freshman, mostly on special teams. Majored in sociology.

PERSONAL: Earned Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Brockton Enterprise and Taunton Gazette All- Scholastic honors at offensive tackle as a senior. Also registered 75 tackles and 5 sacks as a senior defensive lineman. Also excelled in basketball and baseball, earning Brockton Enterprise and Taunton Gazette All-Scholastic honors as a senior. Involved in community service activities at St. Basil's Church and Bridgewater State College. Son of Gayle Arrigni and Edward Colombo. Off the- field interests include playing the acoustic guitar.

2003 - Chicago:
    Pro
    Showed promise as a rookie tackle by working his way into the starting lineup at left tackle before mid-season, but had season ended prematurely due to a left knee injury… Originally drafted in the first round (29th overall) by Chicago in 2002.

College
    Did not allow a quarterback sack in twenty games as a starter… Played both right and left tackle and took over leadership on the Eagles offensive line which lost three starters prior to his senior season… Helped pave the way for 1,000-yard rushers in each of his four seasons.

2002 - Chicago:
    Pro
    Selected in the 1st round (29th overall) of the 2002 draft.

College
    Did not allow a quarterback sack in twenty games as a starter… Played both right and left tackle and took over leadership on the Eagles offensive line which lost three starters prior to his senior season… Helped pave the way for 1,000-yard rushers in each of his four seasons.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Here is a profile of him when he was in the draft.

Prospect Profile

Marc Colombo
    Position: Offensive Tackle
    College: Boston College
    Height: 6-8
    Weight: 313
    Hometown: Bridgewater, Mass.

Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Tough, very aggressive player who was the unquestioned team leader … Has that sudden burst out of his stance needed to gain instant leverage on the defender … Shows great leg drive and hand extension, delivering a crunching hand jolt to get under the defender's pads and sustain … Drives forward with force, consistently moving the pile … Demonstrates excellent arm extension, walling off his man while keeping his feet flat and his base narrow … His quickness and leg drive allow him to engulf linebackers as he fires out to the second level … Follows through with his hand punch to insure the defender will not make the play … Shows the lateral agility and slide to be very effective leading on sweeps … Quick in his retreat, showing proper wingspan form to pick up the blitz … Works well with the guards to pick up the stunts … Has an almost "Hunter Hearst Helmsley" attitude with the way he wrestles defenders to the ground … Has the recognition skills to easily pick up the moving targets off the edge …
    Negatives: There are few flaws in his game, but he could be a devastating blocker if he can add and maintain at least 25 pounds on his frame … Opens his hips a little too much when attempting to anchor … Tends to lean into defenders late in the game (stamina), staying too upright in his stance … Must increase his short area power in order to handle the larger NFL linemen … Needs to increase his lower body strength.

CAREER NOTES
    Athletic offensive lineman who took over leadership on a line that lost three starters to graduation prior to 2001 … Two-year starter with the versatility and skills to play either tackle position … Did not allow a quarterback sack in twenty games as a starter.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast