Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

TICE QUOTES from Mon PC's

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Oh, I was wondering what it was about. I had only heard innuendo (not like the stuff on the other threads) about it.
    Judging by the way you used the word innuendo I see you have been peeping in on those other posts yet you never joined in....

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

"little redhead" wrote:
    "LosAngelis" wrote:
    Oh, I was wondering what it was about. I had only heard innuendo (not like the stuff on the other threads) about it.
    Judging by the way you used the word innuendo I see you have been peeping in on those other posts yet you never joined in....
    [size=7px][/size]

Los is a voyeur???
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

"purplehorn" wrote:
    "little redhead" wrote:
    "LosAngelis" wrote:
    [size=7px][/size]

Los is a voyeur???
    That was my thought he just likes to watch or maybe he didn't think he could keep up with those other boys on this site.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Voyeur...I like the sound of that...:-)

I'm just way too much of a gentleman to post anything innuedoey.

(is that a word?)
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    :-) Nothing like a coach alienating your fans, hey, skogs?
    Last year during the suberbowl here in Houston, I walked up to Tice and tried to introduce myself as a Vikings fan and he totally blew me off.

I could understand if he was being harassed by a lot of fans and was tired of it at the time but it upset me a bit that he did what he did. To his credit, I could tell he was drunk. It was right outside of the lobby bar where I ran into him.

It was at the Downtown Hilton in Houston. Plenty of Coaches, Players and former players around.

mvikes84 is offline Starter

Thanks for the Tice interview snowinapril. Very informative.

You are welcome, I will continue to do so.

[size=24px]Wednesday November 17th 2004
    [/size]
    Tice: Well we're certainly excited that we get to play another game this week on Sunday. We have another division opponent coming in, NFC North, Detroit Lions, who certainly have upgraded the talent level on their roster. At least to this point, (they have) the two best inside players we've seen on defense. They're very, very good players, and it looks like they're making more of an effort to get the running game going and run the ball more. Roy Williams might be the best rookie in the league. He's a little bit hobbled by an ankle, but he certainly has tremendous skills, tremendous skills. So this will be a great challenge for us. We're really thankful that we're home in front of our fans. We really need them, our fans this week, to get behind the kids, get behind the guys, and we need to carry over our practices to the game on Sunday. (We need to) do a better job of that. We'll upgrade Randy (Moss) to doubtful. He just went through a 20-minute workout and looked really good. He's coming along right on schedule. I'm very pleased with that. We'll continue to work on the endurance in that muscle.

Q: Any change on Randy's timetable?
    A: No, I think it's exactly how it's been the whole time. It was told to me four to six weeks, six weeks before he's 100% healthy. It looks like we're right on that, and I think he's doing a good job of rehabbing. I think the training staff has done an excellent job of getting him back this quickly. We're right on it.

Q: He won't play at all this week?
    A: Well we'll upgrade him to doubtful, so you can read into that any way you want. Maybe they'll get ready to play against him, and maybe they won't.

Q: Talk about the opportunity you have against Joey Harrington.
    A: He started out great, but if you look at his numbers he hasn't thrown a lot of interceptions. He's taken more sacks than he did last year. Last year he took very few sacks and threw a lot of picks, and looking at him on film I think he swapped them out. I think he's holding on to the ball a little bit, taking the sack, to not throw the ball into coverage. So he's kind of swapped out. Last year he took very few sacks, got the ball out, but threw more picks. This year he's taken more sacks, not thrown the picks. But if they got the running game going, like any quarterback that would help him out some. Hopefully they don't get the running game going against us. But he played very well early in the season, has struggled a little bit lately, but he's a number three pick in the draft. He's got a lot of talent. If you look at the Giant game he was about flawless in that game, and he beat the Giants, something we didn't do.

Q: Has Nate Burleson become an unlikely playmaker?
    A: No, you have to remember going back to his senior year in college, and I'm probably wrong, but somewhere around 147, 149, 144 passes he caught his senior year in college, so he showed, at least at that level, that he was productive. He caught a lot of passes in college, and as somebody said when we drafted him, it doesn't matter if he caught 140-some balls at Division III because 140-some balls, that's a lot of catches at any level. So we knew he had some playmaker ability. Our coaches and scouts had some familiarity with him. One of our coaches recruited him coming out of high school. He has an excellent family. His brother was a super basketball player here with the Gophers, so we knew he had some athleticism, a 40+ inch vertical jump. We're just pleased that he's progressed so quickly. When we did a study a few years ago, the biggest jump for wide receivers drafted is between the first and the second year, and he certainly has made that jump.

Q: What's the biggest issue with your defense?
    A: Well finding out a way first of all to get them to relax a little bit. I showed the last three plays to the entire team today on the three-and-out when we stopped them. Brian Russell, who supposedly isn't any good in space, made a tackle in space on a player for a 1-yard loss. On second down a guy that has struggled some the last couple weeks E.J. Henderson ran through the guard and made a tackle in the backfield for a 2-yard loss, and then on third down we had seven or eight guys in on the tackle on the screen to go three-and-out. It was about as flawless a defense as you can play. Why did we play flawless defense the last series to tie the game? I don't know. What's the answer for that? We're trying to figure that out. We'll look at how we're meeting. We'll look at how many breaks were taking. We'll look at how we practice with the cards and the scripts. We'll look at all those little tweaks. Is it time to change the length of practice time to rest? No, I think that's not going to accomplish anything. I think we have to figure out why we're not carrying stuff over from practice to the game, make a few little tweaks in some of the scripts possibly, in some of the cards, a couple personnel tweaks, maybe the amount of playing time for certain guys. We'll look at the productivity. The guys that are producing need to play more. The guys that aren't need to play less, and the guys just need to relax and go play. That second-to-last series guys just went and played, and they went out and made three great plays. But then you come back the next series after the fumble and all that, and we have two players that don't run the coverage exactly correct and they're able to throw a corner route in there. Why? We have to figure that out. That's our job as coaches to figure that out and get the players to carry that over to the field on Sunday.

Q: Do you feel like your offense has to score 35-40 points to win?
    A: The goal of our offense is to score one more point than they score. That's always the goal, and that always has to be the goal. If it's 4-3, it's 4-3. If it's 35-34, it's 35-34. We left a play on the field. I pointed it out in the meeting, as great a game as Nate Burleson had, 11 catches, 140-something yards, if he catches that slant in there and scores a touchdown, then we don't have to go for it on 3rd-and-2 to try make a first down. We obviously weren't hitting the fades. We threw about five of them. We couldn't hit those things, so as great a game as he played, we left an opportunity on the field. Not to pick on Nate, and obviously that kind of stuff doesn't bother Nate. Nate wants to do everything perfectly, so he's a perfect guy to use as an example. He's not going to go in the tank. But we left an opportunity there.

Q: Talk about Eddie Drummond.
    A: He's good; he's this year's Dante Hall, two punt returns for touchdowns last week to get them back in the game, put it into overtime. We have to be very disciplined. We have to run, and we'll have to make some personnel changes. Even on that last kickoff we had because of some players that were not suited up that had not been performing well and injuries to say a Raonall Smith, we've had to call other players into duty on some of those teams. (They) may be not as athletic and as fast, which causes you to not be as efficient in coverage. I felt, ironically, the two returns (Green Bay) had were on two of (Jose Cortez's) better kicks, and they were acceptable kicks; a 4.0 hangtime to the 10 is a very acceptable kick in the National Football League, especially on a cold, cold evening. A 3.89 or 3.75 is not acceptable, but that wasn't the case. It was a decent kick. But we have to make the plays, and against this kid we have to be about perfect, so it's a great challenge for our special teams. That's good; that's good that they're challenged. I think it's excellent. We were challenged by Dante Hall last year, and we fared pretty well.

Q: Does that mean you'll concentrate on it more this week?
    A: We concentrate on it a lot. We meet a lot. We meet 45 minutes every day. We practice a half hour before (regular practice). We give special teams a lot of time. It's the same thing that we're facing right now on defense, and it just shows you how a week will change. Two weeks ago the special teams made a lot of plays. Last week they didn't make a play when we had to make a play. That's football. Each week it's another correction.

Q: Do you have guys that can take some of the morale responsibility off your shoulders?
    A: Well I certainly don't want to walk around like Dr. Phil. I get to go see my Dr. Phil today, Dan Barreiro, so Danny will take care of me and I'll be fine. But I don't walk around with an air pump. If I see the air pump, I'm shoving it and using it to pump guys up. It must be the phrase of the week. I think we've got enough veteran leadership to carry us through hard times. There hasn't been a society that has built toughness in times of peace, and we're certainly not in times of peace right now. So we need to be resilient and show some mental toughness and some character and forge our way through this tough time and this dump and make sure we get through and get through it better and get through it as a better football team and a team with more character and more mental toughness and more resiliency. In the end that carries you. It really does, if we handle it the right way.

Q: How do you walk the line of finding positive things from losses while concentrating on the bottom line of winning?
    A: I think this is the stage as coaches we just need to teach. Unfortunately, when you teach you have to point out some negative things, and the players have got to accept coaching, and coaches have to accept coaching. If we didn't do the job then we have to be able to correct ourselves. We all have to get better, starting with me and all the way down through the coaching staff through the players through the equipment manager. We have to get better. That's really the only way to look at it.

Q: Is Raonall Smith any closer?
    A: He had a great day yesterday, and then he woke up this morning with a headache again. He goes in Monday for another test in Pittsburgh. Hopefully at that point he'll be cleared. I said to Smitty, "We're all saying right now we need Raonall Smith," and that hasn't been the case for two years. That's a good thing for Smitty. We'd love to have him back because he's a playmaker, and he would help us immensely, especially on special teams. He's out for this week.

Q: Is Mewelde Moore any closer?
    A: Yeah, Mewelde's closer. I think Mewelde has that baseball mentality. He thinks there's a 15-disabled list. I hope he doesn't think that he has to be 100% before he comes back because he needs to understand as a young player they're not going to be 100%. I remember watching Roger Staubach one time, and they asked him, "When do you feel bad?" He said, "The first day of practice." They said, "When do you feel good again," and he said, "Around Memorial Day." You just don't feel good. So he's close; he's coming, and he's hungry. He wants to get back. I wish we had him this week. He would help us in the return game, but we don't. I don't think we will anyway.

Q: Any fond memories of watching Thanksgiving football?
    A: No, I've played in the Thanksgiving Day game in Dallas and coached in two, and I don't know, you'll have to check because most of the time I'm wrong, but I think I'm 3-0. That's my fondest memory.

[size=18px]Monday November 22nd, 2004[/size]

Tice: Good afternoon. It's about time. Well we made more plays than we have been making the last couple of weeks, so we were able to finish this one with a ‘W' as opposed to the other way, so that's really in the final analysis of things all that matters. Are there things we have to get better at? Absolutely, and that's part of this deal. Every week there's something that either has to get fixed throughout the process or the course of the game or things that have to get fixed throughout the course of the week, some of which can be answered on the practice field, some of which have to be answered by who's playing certain roles, personnel-wise, special teams, defense, offensive line, tight end, running back, so you have to look at all those things. At this point, I think, we're very pleased that we had an excellent second half, I felt, in basically all phases, offense, defense, and special teams. It's the first time in quite a while that we were able to put together a half where all three phases stepped up to the plate and did what was necessary to win the game, a game that we had to win frankly. (We're) 6-4, still tied with Green Bay. Three of our last six are against division opponents, so that's excellent. Things will take care of themselves. We don't have to plan ahead. We just have to finish out the season...and the way the schedule's lined up will take care of itself. Injury update, I'm sure everyone wants to know about Randy (Moss). He just worked out at 11:00. He looked extremely good. 100%? No, but he did really well. The key is to see how he comes in tomorrow morning because we pushed him pretty hard today, so we want to see how he is tomorrow morning. So we'll continue to list him as doubtful for now, and hopefully as the week progresses we'll be able to fix that and turn it into questionable, probable, we'll see. But he did a lot today, and the key is to see how he is tomorrow morning because we pushed it pretty good. The strength in there is excellent. The strength is excellent. I think the endurance is the key. Jacksonville, one of my great friends in the whole world, Jack Del Rio, is coming in. There's nothing better, and I'm sure Jack will say the same thing, there's nothing better than to beat one of your friends in anything, whether it's cards or basketball or Tiddlywinks or whatever. It's just exciting to play against a great friend. We were teammates here in the early ‘90s. We've known each other for a long time, and that's just going to be an exciting week for us and for them too probably. Everybody have a great Thanksgiving if I don't see some of you because we all have a lot to be thankful for.

Q: How is Nat Dorsey?
    A: He's going to get an MRI, and it doesn't appear to be serious as far as out any length of time. The initial indications are it's strained, which could mean he could be back this week or it could mean he could be back the following week. It doesn't appear to be anything significant at this point, but with that said, Adam Goldberg went in and did a nice job. Except for the first play there on the one-inch yard line, he played pretty well. He played pretty solid for us, so we're very pleased with that. We're on to our third right tackle of the season, or fourth if you count Adam Haayer, so that's exciting stuff.

Q: Is the momentum in the season turning your way now?
    A: I think the biggest key though, even without the Randy situation, is the way we finish the game. We've finished in the two areas where we've had some ups and downs and frankly defensively struggled as of late. Special-teams has been up and down. One week it looked like we had it all fixed. It's how the special teams and the defense finished the game. The offense has been finishing the games pretty well, but the defense finished well. The sack at the end, the interception, making plays when we had to make plays, that's exciting to see. Making adjustments at halftime and settling guys down, guys going out and making the plays they had a chance to make, making the tackles, not missing the tackles. Special-teams-wise, we had to have a big kick and we had it, a great punt. Great initial pursuit or shot, we call it taking a shot, that Ralph Brown did, #33, to force the ball carrier laterally and back a little bit and then to finish up on the play by other players, namely Ben Nelson, local boy (from) St. Cloud State. It was good to see us finish that way, and that in and by itself, I think Tom Powers asked me the other day, "How do you get confidence back in the defense?" I really think the only way is to succeed and have success. They had some relative success yesterday, maybe not against the best offense that we've faced this year, but at this point the success is the key for them to gain confidence, so hopefully we can gain some confidence from that.

Q: How is Mewelde Moore?
    A: I don't know. I'm just, I'm miffed. When will I bring him back? We'll bring him back when he feels like he can go out and practice and play. I even saw him this morning and said, "How we doing?" He gave me the ("I'm not sure,") so (that) is not a good thing. I don't know. It's taking him a long time to come back, but high ankle sprains, in his defense, are weird injuries. Just when you think this is a mild high ankle sprain, you're looking at five weeks. If he were healthy he'd be back, and we'd find a role for him, even if it was returning kicks and taking some of those hits off of Kelly (Campbell) and Nate (Burleson). We spoke about that last week I think. But at this point it doesn't appear he's going to be any farther along this week. Why is that? I don't know. Each one of us heals differently. We all heal differently. We all deal with pain differently.

Q: Were you pleased your veterans seemed to take charge yesterday?
    A: Yeah, I am because for two years I've said to the team, and I really believe this in my heart, there are some people that say (this is) Mike Tice's team. This really is not my team. The team belongs to the players, and until the players take over the team, we won't win the championship. I've felt that all along. I really believe that. I believe that all the good teams I've been associated with, and there are a bunch, have great veteran leadership, and until that veteran leadership steps up and makes the players do the right things, I just think you're going to be an average team. I think we showed some of that yesterday, and that's encouraging. That's encouraging.

Q: Will you use more no huddle?
    A: We've used a lot of it this year. We've used some of it where you guys haven't noticed we've used some of it, where we come out in a no-huddle mode and then we got a penalty so now we're out of the no-huddle mode, or we come out in the no-huddle mode and we have some relative success on first and second down. We like to huddle up most of the time on third down. The calls are a little bit more intricate on third down; there's a lot more verbiage, so it's really hard to do that from a no-huddle mode. We don't make the first down so we punt, so we're out of the no-huddle mode. We have tried it quite a bit. We've been very successful with it over the last couple of weeks, most notably Green Bay and yesterday. It gives us some rhythm. The negative of it is if it's no-huddle and it's a very long drive, it takes a lot out of the offensive linemen. Dave Dixon came off for a play. I thought he got hurt (and asked), "What happened?" (He said), "I need a breath," which I was in shock, but he was spent. That's the negative of it. I remember doing the no-huddle last year, and Randy was exhausted, totally exhausted in the no-huddle. When we try to use it, we like it, but you can't use it extensively throughout the course of the game. You have to pick your spots, but we have had some success with it, especially as of late.

Q: Is it fair to say Bryant McKinnie has been struggling a bit over the last couple of weeks?
    A: I would say he doesn't play as well on the road, and I would say that he has improved this season. I don't think he's the player yet that we think he can be. I think that's about as fair an assessment as I can make.

Q: Did you see the Green Bay game last night?
    A: I did. I was actually at the (Sports Wrap) show, peeking out of the corner of my eye, and when they intercepted the ball I thought they had a chance, but then I looked up and Favre was running for 17 yards. So much for that chance.

Q: Talk about the slow starts you've been having.
    A: Yeah, we address that almost every day, about starting fast. We talked about this maybe five weeks ago, where as in this league whether people like it or not, it is so tough to come from behind and win. There was a statistic I shared with our beat writers about teams that are leading at halftime win like 86% of the games, some wacky number. I don't recall the actual stat right now. But it's very, very hard in this league, whether we like it or not, to come from behind and win. We want to start fast, and I think if you talk to any coach, we're all talking about starting fast. In fact I heard three or four coaches on interviews last night talk about starting fast. It's really hard to not start fast on the road and win. That's why it's even more encouraging to see how we finished those last two games on the road with those crap starts, with the fumble, the poor punt, with Green Bay throwing a 50-yard bomb to score a touchdown. But the one thing we have done better the last two weeks, we've scored on our first drive offensively, and that's something we were not doing. At one point we had only 13 points in the first quarter. So we've scored on our last two first drives of the game. That part is encouraging. It's something we emphasize and talk about all the time. I even made a little nudge we get into the locker room a little bit sooner after warm-ups, and I'll continue to look at anything that can help. But it's just a matter of relaxing and going out and playing. That play yesterday put us all in a shock mode.

Q: You seem to finish strong in the second half though. What's going on in the locker room at halftime?
    A: No panic. That's what I've seen as the difference. No panic. Coaches teaching, trying to make good adjustments and explaining to the players why certain things happen so there is no panic. If a player makes a mistake and coaches don't explain why the mistake was made, I think that's when players get really, really tentative because they feel like, "I don't know if I can do this," but then you explain, "Well if you would have hit this gap a little tighter or done this," it settles the players down some. I'm seeing a lot of that. I'm not seeing the ranting and raving and throwing things and breaking blackboards, and I think that's helping the team settle down some.

Q: Is that no panic a result of veterans taking charge?
    A: Well I think it's also some reality. I think the players see it in the same way the coaches are seeing it. "Gosh, we're in a position to make some plays. We just have to make the plays." Football's a great sport because it's a constant chess match. It's a constant fix, and you're always fixing something. Whether it's in the course of the game or the course of the week, there's always something that has to be fixed. It's never two games in a row alike. One week earlier you're running the ball great, the next week you can't get a yard. One week guys are covering guys tightly, and the next week they can't stay with a guy with one leg. There's always something that has to be fixed, and that's the nature of the game. That, to me, is exciting. That's what's exciting about it.

PhxFan is offline Pro-Bowler

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "LosAngelis" wrote:
    :-) Nothing like a coach alienating your fans, hey, skogs?
    Last year during the suberbowl here in Houston, I walked up to Tice and tried to introduce myself as a Vikings fan and he totally blew me off.

I could understand if he was being harassed by a lot of fans and was tired of it at the time but it upset me a bit that he did what he did. To his credit, I could tell he was drunk. It was right outside of the lobby bar where I ran into him.

It was at the Downtown Hilton in Houston. Plenty of Coaches, Players and former players around.
    I'm sure some of the hounding by fans constantly gets old, and some fans do need to be considerate.
    When the SB was hosted here in Phoenix, the players and staff were as gracious to everyone (as much as they could be) signing things, getting involved around events in town, even the retired greats that were here. A friend of mine even got two footballs signed by Staubach.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast