Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    bfld is offline Rookie

Re: Tice Press Conference: 12/26

For those who think Tice is so great, what team do you think will pick him up as HC after we let him go?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"bfld" wrote:
    For those who think Tice is so great, what team do you think will pick him up as HC after we let him go?
    I like him.

But honestly, here is the list of teams that would pick him up:

Gift is offline Coordinator

"bfld" wrote:
    Other teams wouldnt take him but what makes us different from other teams in this matter is that he is already here. He has already set up his program, developed a repore with players, shown he can win with this team with a weak supporting crew & he has also shown the ability to turn a sinking ship around. Why put so much into a guy and dump him because we didnt make the playoffs after starting 2-5.

The question is do we have a better chance letting his system continue or bringing in someone new a starting over completely. I, myself like this team and like what we were doing. I think our chances are better if we ride out our anger and give the man the tools he needs to push this team into the playoffs next year.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I would accept it if Wilf kept Tice for a couple more years...BUT only if he brought in a new OC AND a new DC...also I would want to see him keep on Rhome as QB coach and Foge as a defensive consultant (probably working with the LBs, especially the MLB on how to make the correct calls on the defensive side of the ball during the game). Keep Loney as the OL coach as he has good rapport with our young linemen...I still think that Marcus will turn out to be a solid RG or maybe RT in a year or so (maybe even next year)...he also got pretty good production out of Herrera. Tillman is probably pretty safe as the ST coach for the next couple of years.

But Wilf needs to show commitment to winning by spending the necessary amount of money to hire the best coaching staff available...and if that means that he has to bid for a more elite coach that is currently or soon to be on the market, then he needs to do so...he can't get too hung up on any loyalty to Tice...or to someone like Fassel. The bottom line is that for our team to improve, Wilf needs to look at all the options...and then spend the money to bring in the best coaches across the board...remember, there is NO salary cap on coaches' salaries!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

And there is the rub.

Everyone who likes Tice is just as wrong as all the people who liked Moss....but those in the opposition can't offer a better candidate, they just don't like ______.

I'm not married to the idea of Tice staying, and if Wilf drops him, I'm not going to lose sleep over it...but neither am I willing to drop the guy out of hand just because we didn't win.

I didn't make excuses for Denny because Denny brought most of his woes on himself...Tice got handed most of his. But, the end result is none of us has the final say. And, none of us knows what Zygi is planning...and likely won't for a few weeks yet.

All I'm saying is that I don't see anyone out there - as of right now - who strikes me as a better - realistic - candidate. And I'm still waiting for someone to step up with one.

Caine

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

I want Tice back. Ok now please Del Rio don't get upset, this isn't an attack on you, but how elite an NFL team our we, if we don't have one championship to prove it. I mean I love the Vikings too, but I think sometimes our team is flawed because of the personnel we play. I think Tice is trying to change that idea here. Here is a couple concerns I think he is addressing.

The first one is the idea of speedy D lineman. We have for as long as I can remember played/drafted fast defensive lineman who can jump gaps, yet consistently get pushed off the ball by big offensive lineman on grass. Well this year we are shifting that idea of thinking. Both Williams are a drastic step away from that concept. We finally had guys who could stop the running despite the climate or conditions. I think Tice and Cotrell had a lot to do with this.

My second point is that the vikings for a long time have always had a pass first run second perspective. We got close to changing this under Denny Green when we had Robert Smith, but we still relied on the pass to win us games. Now that works well in the dome where we have climate control conditions, but it doesn't work well when you play at least two of your division games in possible cold weather in Green Bay or Chicago.

Tice is trying to change this, he is commited to having us be a running team. I think this would be an awesome idea, because again conditions don't dictate offense as much. Secondly I think this actually plays into his strength too. I don't think the Vikings have ever had a better offensive line coach then Tice, and his development of Birk is a good example.

I expect this change to continue and we will transform ourselves much like we did in the early 90's under Green. Hopefully it will continue and be proven correct and provides us a super bowl championship.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

scottstudwell is offline Waterboy

the guy blew out his knee while coaching on the sidleines this year. picked himself up and keep on coaching. he's a tuff S.O.B. that deserves another shot just because of the way he handled that kind of adversity!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456