Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Tice Needs to Cut the Cord With Elling

I think you guys are overreacting (as are a lot of Viking fans).

#1, the 30 yarder he missed was into a stiff wind.

#2, he has hit FGs in camp outside 40 yards, and lest we forget, was 1-3 from beyond 50 last season.

#3, yes, his accuracy has only been an issue since this time last week (and no reports on his accuracy since around Tuesday)...so that is about a four day stretch. Allegedly, in minicamps and such, he was kicking very well.

Now, I'm not necessarily in love with the guy, and he might be showing a tendency to choke here. Then again, it could just be a brief rough stretch. As someone said earlier, there really isn't anyone available right now (short maybe of Gary Anderson, who has said he is retired for good) worth picking up. I say we give the guy at least two exhibition games (hopefully with some "pressure" situations to kick FGs in, regardless of distance) before we call for his head on a pike. There "might" be a half-decent kicker or two come available around the next-to-last or last cutdown. The little midget Orner could also be a possibility, though I have heard different stories about how he is looking in camp.

I sure don't want to lose any games this season because some guy can't hit a FG from 40 and in. Stuff beyond 45 is a crapshoot for many NFL kickers. Elling really didn't do as badly last year as some of you would make out; Tice simply showed less and less confidence in him as the year wore on.

Let's all wait a week or two before we panic.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

tonytigr29 is offline Waterboy

every game last year, after we scored, i would hold my breath as elling kicked the PAT... we should have a kicker that u can at least trust to kick the F-ing PAT... i know Tice is trying to bring up this young kicker, but he has to know when to take a step back and realize that elling sucks ass.
    edb2f5921511c5473783a6a4e1c2f506

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Elling's name doesn't make me cringe every single time I read it. Gary Anderson's name does. I do however hope they can figure out how to have us a good kicker for the season. For that matter, I just can't wait for the season. =).

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

What about this guy Dan Orner? I guess he's booted several 30 and 40 yard kicks several yards past the uprights in camp and also nailed a 46 yarder in the Arizona game.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:
    they should do what i did in madden... dump him, and then create a nearly perfect kicker :cheers:
    :thumbright:

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Heres some optimism for those who want elling to be around and why he couldnt make that 51 yarder.

And placekicker Aaron Elling converted field goals from 30 and 36 yards to quell anxiety about his training camp performance. Earlier, he had missed from 51 yards after holder Darren Bennett dropped the snap. Rookie Dan Orner drilled a 46-yard field goal in the fourth quarter.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    What about this guy Dan Orner? I guess he's booted several 30 and 40 yard kicks several yards past the uprights in camp and also nailed a 46 yarder in the Arizona game.

I think we would be going backwords if we kept orner instead of elling. Orner is a rookie and would go through the same growing pains that elling did last year. Remember that elling played great last preseason and also on Lambeau field in the opener, so orner doing good up to now means nothing. If we would go with a different kicker, I bet it would be a veteran. I still think tice will stay with elling.

rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:
    Heres some optimism for those who want elling to be around and why he couldnt make that 51 yarder.

And placekicker Aaron Elling converted field goals from 30 and 36 yards to quell anxiety about his training camp performance. Earlier, he had missed from 51 yards after holder Darren Bennett dropped the snap. Rookie Dan Orner drilled a 46-yard field goal in the fourth quarter.
    It looked like Darren Bennet dropping the snap may have threw off Elling's timing, but you never know. I think I'd prefer to have a veteran kicker though.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I'm all for staying with Elling. He looked really good in the Cards game. I mean he did well to adjust to Palmer's mishandeling of the snap, to get of a good kick, that was actually pretty close. And he looked good on the other kicks I saw too, despite it showing he was very nervous.

Some guys just can't handle life in the spotlight. Maybe Elling is one of those guys. However, I'm not one to say he can't do it. He has the skills and accuracey, and showed them. Consistency is what we are loooking for. I mentioned before I think the guy needs to see a shrink, and not a kicking expert.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

If I recall correctly Elling looked good last preseason, so keeping Orner based on a no-pressure situation like that is dumb.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast