Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Tice Needs to Cut the Cord With Elling

I totally reserve the right to second guess the coach without being called a moron. Denny wasn't dumb either, but was second guessed all the time. The one thing he never dabbled with though, is youth at the kicking positions. Tice learned his lesson last year with the punter, it's just taking a little longer with the kicker. I would like to see Elling work out too, but we're into the second year of the experiment. We'll see what happens game one of the pre-season.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Elling

As was stated previously, obviously Tice knows a little more about kicking than we do, and he has that Doug Blevins guy in camp to help out. I'll say this, though: I think Tice can be loyal to a fault to the players, himself having been one. Let's just see where things go in preseason, and go from there. Even if we need a kicker going into week one (assuming Elling doesn't work out), it's not like a kicker would be hard to find - they're a dime-a-dozen, and just about anyone with any kind of experience can be a stop-gap. Does anyone remember Donald Igwebieke? YIKES!!!!!!!! That really dates me...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

You are correct when you say Tice knows his kicker better then we do. At this point however it doesn't matter what Mike Tice knows his kicker is capable of because what he is capable of and what he is doing now are two different things. Again today they are reporting he missed the majority of his field goal attempts in morning practice. We all know he is capable of making some field goals but it doesn't seem to be happening for him for one reason or another and if it continues where he is unable to make the majority of field goal attempts obviously something will have to be done but like it has been said we will have to wait it out and see how game time goes. Being the optimistic Vikings fan I can hope that Aaron will not have to kick a lot of field goals only extra points as our offense will score touch downs most of the time... ha ha ha....

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

I think that if it will be a real problem then Tice will replace him.

Besides, he only needs to be able to kick PAT's anyway
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

thats what I said if we are lucky that is all he will need to kick is the point afters.....a little optimistic perhaps but the season has not started yet so I am allowed to overly optimistic.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"little redhead" wrote:
    thats what I said if we are lucky that is all he will need to kick is the point afters.....a little optimistic perhaps but the season has not started yet so I am allowed to overly optimistic.

Also, now really isn't the time to release a kicker and try to find another one. Many teams have 2 good kickers on their team during preseason. If Tice was gonna find a different kicker, he would wait until teams start cutting some of their kickers. I am sure he has a list of kickers he likes, that are on a team with another good kicker. We need to trust Tice and what he is doing, since he knows more than we do.

ndakvikefan is offline Starter

muchluv where did you hear that he has olny struggled for the last 4 days???? I spend alot of time on the road in my job and listen to the fan almost all day and all I have heard from all of them is that Elling has struggled the whole time. .comtom said he was 3-7 in the scrimmages with K.C. and that was last week. They have been saying that he does have more length to his kick offs but his FG's have been very poor.
    Tice has told the coaches to leave him alone as to take some self imposed pressure off of himself and try to figure out his problem. Tice feels maybe they have been over coaching him. I hope it works out because there are not many veterans out there if any. I feel they should have used a late round draft pick and picked up a kicker.
    8f72d7a2bfbfd6a931c3ea8edbece812

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"ndakvikefan" wrote:
    muchluv where did you hear that he has olny struggled for the last 4 days???? I spend alot of time on the road in my job and listen to the fan almost all day and all I have heard from all of them is that Elling has struggled the whole time. .comtom said he was 3-7 in the scrimmages with K.C. and that was last week. They have been saying that he does have more length to his kick offs but his FG's have been very poor.
    Tice has told the coaches to leave him alone as to take some self imposed pressure off of himself and try to figure out his problem. Tice feels maybe they have been over coaching him. I hope it works out because there are not many veterans out there if any. I feel they should have used a late round draft pick and picked up a kicker.

That was on kfan.com. It obviously was some days ago, but so was my post that it he had only been struggling for 4 days. He is still struggling according to what Tice said on total access last night. He basically started to struggle either the day of scrimmage or day before. So it's been about a week now. Before then, all the talk was about how well he was doing thanks to blevins. Now all the talk is how he has been overcoached by blevins. I say just leave him along, let him kick himself out of the slump. Give him some preseason games, let him show if he can overcome it or not, and then if he can't look for good kickers cut by other teams.

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

they should do what i did in madden... dump him, and then create a nearly perfect kicker :cheers:

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

"cheesefree" wrote:
    I have to give Tice credit for sticking with Elling as long as he has, but he is missing FG's from 30 yards in camp and still can't hit anything beyond 40 :shock: They should bring in a veteran as quick as possible.
    [size=7px][/size]

I agree 100%. I know it takes a team, but we missed the playoffs
    last year because this :clown: cannot get it between the posts.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast