Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tice, knee get in the game

Posted on Mon, Nov. 14, 2005

[size=18px]Tice, knee get in the game[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN AND DON SEEHOLZER

Pioneer Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Vikings coach Mike Tice has jokingly said he wishes he still could play sometimes.

The game came to him Sunday at Giants Stadium, and he suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee.

In the first quarter, during a punt by the New York Giants, Tice was toppled on the sideline. Vikings rookie cornerback Laroni Gallishaw shoved Giants receiver Jamaar Taylor near the Vikings' sideline, knocking the 6-foot-8 Tice to the ground.

"Fourteen years in the league, I never hurt my knee," said Tice, formerly a tight end with the Vikings, Seattle and Washington. "To get wiped out on a punt return, that is kind of embarrassing. I guess I was turned and yelling at somebody."

Vikings trainer Chuck Barta jokingly said Tice is probable for the next game.

Tice was attended to by Barta after the play, and he limped afterward. In fact, when safety Darren Sharper returned an interception 92 yards for a touchdown on the first play of the second quarter, Tice limped along the sideline in excitement.

At halftime, Tice was evaluated and fitted with a sleeve on his left knee. He will be re-evaluated this morning.

"I'll tell you what, I'll do it every week for a victory," Tice said.

That was not the extent of Tice's involvement in the game Sunday. In the third quarter, he was penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct for protesting a pass interference call on receiver Travis Taylor in the end zone. Tice walked toward an official and threw a pen in protest, believing that Taylor scored a 27-yard touchdown. The officials, however, ruled that Taylor shoved Giants cornerback Curtis Deloatch.

Tice also was visibly frustrated later in the quarter when the officials overturned a fumble by quarterback Eli Manning that Vikings defensive end Darrion Scott recovered and returned 23 yards. But after reviewing the play, referee Terry McAulay ruled the pass incomplete.

"There weren't many calls our way all day, but that's life," Tice said. "But we overcame that."

Less Moore: Concerned that Mewelde Moore was too worried about his sprained right wrist, Tice limited his starting running back to punt returns. Moore returned a punt 71 yards for a touchdown, but he did not play a snap on offense.

Michael Bennett, who rushed for 106 yards last week against Detroit, started and played nearly the entire game. But he gained just 19 yards on 16 carries, with a long run of 8 yards.

Bennett also caught six passes for 11 yards.

Bennett could not get much against the Giants' ninth-ranked run defense.

"They came out very physical up front," Bennett said. "We knew that coming in.

"I never got frustrated. We were waiting and waiting and hoping we could make the big play sooner or later. We weren't able to execute too much. But we were able to execute enough at the end."

Bennett, though, did commit the offense's only turnover. But the Giants turned the ball back over on the ensuing series.

"I had the ball low. Then when I came up, I bumped it out myself," Bennett said.

Offensive punts: Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson made a note to himself last week that field position would be important Sunday, and he felt confident in rookie punter Chris Kluwe.

"If we have to punt, I feel we got the best punter in the league, so let's back them up and play that game with them," Johnson said. "Sometimes it doesn't look good on your numbers, it doesn't look good on the game on TV. But as long as you come away with the win, that's the most important thing."

One for the road: The victory ended a couple of streaks for the Vikings, who had dropped three straight to the Giants and were 0-4 on the road this season.

It also improved their record in outdoor games to 4-24 since the start of the 2001 season and gave owner Zygi Wilf a 1-0 record against the team for which he grew up rooting.

"I am happy for Zygi," Tice said. "I didn't plan on losing any games to Texas teams for Red (McCombs) and I don't plan on losing to New Jersey teams for Zygi."

Record book: Sharper was the first player to intercept three passes against the Giants since Washington's Vernon Dean picked off three Phil Simms passes on Sept. 16, 1984.

Before Robinson, the last player to return a kickoff for a touchdown against the Giants was Vikings running back Moe Williams, who took one back 85 yards on Dec. 26, 1999.

Williams was inactive Sunday because of knee and back injuries.

Team player: As happy as Koren Robinson was about his 86-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to open the second half, he said his first love is still catching passes.

"I'd be lying to you if I stood up here and said otherwise," he said. "I'm a receiver first, but I'm just playing a role. If they want me to play left guard, I'll play left guard."

Robinson gained 44 yards on his one reception and expressed gratitude to the Vikings one more time for taking a chance on signing him after his four troubled seasons in Seattle

"It just feels good," he said. "I'm thankful to be here. I didn't think I was going to get a chance to do this again."

Injury report: Cory Withrow played the second half at center in place of Melvin Fowler, who aggravated a strained oblique muscle during pregame warm-ups.

"As the game went on, it just got to be more and more painful," offensive coordinator Steve Loney said. "So we made the move to Cory."

Barta said Fowler originally suffered the injury a week earlier but is expected to come around quickly.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Tice, knee get in the game

Does anyone know the particulars of what Tice did to get that unsportsman like conduct flag thrown against him on the pass interference call in the endzone?

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

he came onto the field and argued the call of offensive pass interference.

Thanks Josdin

He must have swore at the officials or something.

SamDawg84 Guest

In the article it says he threw his pen too

Del Rio Guest

The article you just posted said "Tice walked toward an official and threw a pen in protest"
    That's a no no.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    The article you just posted said "Tice walked toward an official and threw a pen in protest"
    That's a no no.
    My mistake. I didn't read the entire article before posting it. In the morning, I usually skim over it to see if it's post worthy & get it posted before I go to work.

Prophet Guest

gotta hurt

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Big guys fall hard. He must be a hurtin unit today.

The article doesn't say where he threw the pen. If he didn't throw it AT the ref, I don't see how it is a penalty.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Del Rio Guest

LMAO!

Look at Marcus Robinson (I think that is him)

He's like ooooooooooooooooooooooo *grimace* lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast