Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tice, Johnson sometimes differ on passing philosophy

[size=18px]Vikings: Tice, Johnson sometimes differ on passing philosophy[/size]

Vikings coach Mike Tice and quarterback Brad Johnson sometimes differ on passing philosophy.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 23, 2005 at 11:17 PM

While Vikings coach Mike Tice would like to see Brad Johnson throw more downfield passes than he did in the first half of Monday night's 20-17 victory at Green Bay, the quarterback appears comfortable taking whatever opposing defenses give him.

And that could mean deep, medium or, gasp, the high-percentage, short passes that are often associated with the West Coast offense.

"East Coast, West Coast, Gulf Coast," Johnson said Wednesday. "Plays and systems and schemes are all very similar. We are still running plays from [former NFL coach and vertical-passing guru] Don Coryell. The whole league is. That doesn't matter, the plays were there. Sometimes you just need a little extra something special to happen."

Johnson remarks came a day after Tice voiced his displeasure with what he saw in the opening half Monday.

"We need to make sure that as players, coaches and the quarterback, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel and bring some things in from the outside that aren't us," he said. "... To try to all of a sudden become a West Coast offense, I think doesn't suit us. I have never liked it. I am quite frankly not a big proponent of the short passing game. If you want to get 3 yards then hand it off."

Johnson clearly had gotten wind of Tice's final line. At one point Wednesday the veteran added this to a statement about how things went Monday.

"It wasn't 3-yard dump-offs either, I will be very firm about that."

There was no question the Vikings did utilize the short-passing game in Monday's first half. Johnson had 10 completions for only 82 yards and his longest were a trio of 11-yarders. The Vikings also rushed 10 times for 48 yards as they went into halftime having failed to score an offensive touchdown for eight consecutive quarters.

That streak ended in the third quarter as the Vikings rushed for 112 yards on 27 carries in the second half. Johnson, meanwhile, had two fewer completions than in the opening half but they went for 114 yards and included a 35-yarder to Koren Robinson that set up Paul Edinger's winning 27-yard field goal as time ran out.

"I think in the second half we went back to more of the run and play-action," Tice said. "Those are the type of things we do well. It showed that that is us and that is what we do."

Johnson and offensive coordinator Steve Loney, however, maintained that down-the-field opportunities existed in the first two quarters and the quarterback exercised his judgment when looking at the situation.

"I thought we had about eight shots," Johnson said. "I thought we were as vertical as I'll be. ... I felt good with the plays we were running."

Said Loney: "I think what happened with a couple of the dump-offs at the end of the first half was [Green Bay] understood that we had to get the ball down the field. Brad didn't feel those things were open and so he was hitting his check-down. ... I think Brad reads things out and at times he understands that he's got to get the ball out of his hands. Sometimes if he does that, check-downs are the answer. But when you look at that first half we had shots down the field and our [pass] protection on these particular plays weren't as good."

Although Johnson is 3-0 since taking over as the Vikings' starting quarterback, he is guiding a unit that is in search of an identity. Johnson, 37, does not have the arm strength of the injured Daunte Culpepper, and he doesn't have a big-play receiver like the departed Randy Moss.

What he does have is the veteran experience to realize that putting up impressive numbers won't mean a thing if you lose.

"It doesn't matter how many points we score or how many points they score as long as we have one more point than them," said Johnson, who guided Tampa Bay to a Super Bowl title in the 2002 season. "I don't care. I have been down that road too much, offensive team, defensive team. ... The only thing that matters is trying to find a way to win by at least one more point and that's the only thing I am concerned about."

Tice agrees on this point, as long as the offense stays away from that dreaded West Coast look.

"Times have changed," he said in reference to the fact the days of the Vikings scoring 35 or 40 points are gone. "As long as we are winning, that doesn't bother me at all."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

SamDawg84 Guest

Re: Tice, Johnson sometimes differ on passing philosophy

im confused. it people say johnson is 37 but on madden it says he is 36? and wat does tice know about throwing the ball? he was a tight end

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"SamDawg84" wrote:
    im confused. it people say johnson is 37 but on madden it says he is 36? and wat does tice know about throwing the ball? he was a tight end
    "As a 2-year starter at QB at Maryland, Tice completed 71-of-140 passes for 928 yards with five touchdowns as a senior in ‘80. He threw for 896 yards and 5 touchdowns as a junior. When Tice was a senior his backup was future NFL All-Pro Boomer Esiason."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Tice should really learn that throwing the ball deep every play doesn't work. I think Johnson should be head coach.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "SamDawg84" wrote:
    "As a 2-year starter at QB at Maryland, Tice completed 71-of-140 passes for 928 yards with five touchdowns as a senior in ‘80. He threw for 896 yards and 5 touchdowns as a junior. When Tice was a senior his backup was future NFL All-Pro Boomer Esiason."
    haha Tice really played quarterback? That would be funny as hell to see him playing qb, he would be bigger then Daunte.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

i'm perfectly happy with the short passes, yah the deep ball gets all the attention and is exciting but i'm rather keep their defense on the field longer and play the T.O.P game and drive the entire field in 10 plays as opposed to 3 plays.

Thanks Josdin

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Once again Tice and Loney show why they need to be fired. Leave BJ alone he knows what he is doing. I guess he isn't forceing enough balls for INT's to suit Tice and Loney. :roll: Not to mention who is it exactly the they think is beating the deep coverage in time for him to throw the ball before getting sacked? Gawd what idiots. :roll:

WWBGD

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

i loved what we did in the second half. there was alot of control. it seemed like we had the momentum and everything was in our favor.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

BJ would be a great coach. He sure has a great football mind - ever listen to one of his press conferences? Sounds like there is no defense he has not faced.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Whatever gets us a win is all I care about. If he throws 1 pass for 7 yards and we win then good. Sure its not the prettiest stats and might not be on "prime cut" on NFL prime time. but in the NFL you gotta get a win however you can. I for one think johnson is playing very good and very smart football.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast