Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Tice Interview on running game

Today, in the St. Paul Pioneer Press there is an interview with coach Mike Tice. Among other things I found this quote interesting...(Tice speaking is the "A".):
    Q: How do you think the departure of Randy Moss will affect your team on the field?

A: I'll say this. We'll never replace the offensive production that the player gave us, with any one person. But we have some players on our team that can make plays, so we're not going to change styles as much as people are writing that we will.
    We're still going to be a vertical threat, play-action team, with three wides, four wides. I think everybody thinks we're going to line up with four tight ends and run the ball down people's throats. But I don't see that happening at all, to be quite frank with you.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Tice Interview on running game

Honesty is lovely.

I appreciate his statement.

When the new offensive cord came on board there was a lot of talk about our offense becoming a more run oriented team. Even Tice himself agreed that that was the direction they were leaning to.

The Vikings lack of activity this offseason for a running back told me they are not serious about the run game. They will rely heavily on a few big runs that will open up the play action. So they probably expect a large gain about 1 out of 5 runs 7+ yards.

The only purpose the run game plays on this team is to open up the play action. I can say that I am sure that is one of the reasons Culpepper is always under pressure. Defensive lineman love to know it's going to be a pass. That is why he was sacked so many times, and why he was pressured more then any other QB.

This whole offense rests on Peppers shoulders, if he goes down we are hurting.

Vrehna is offline Rookie

Its a good statement, but at the same time, some might take it as if Tice was saying that he doesn't have any faith in our running game...

Which really isn't the case I know, but it makes me wonder about how our run game is going to be this season.

Del Rio Guest

It's going to be like it was last season. 15-20 runs a game. Multiple backs.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Personally, I do think they will try for some balance this year. Jimmy K., our starting Pro Bowl center, and RT are hopefully healthy. I look at that PC as an ooops, I was toooo honest before, now I have to cover my butt. Rember how they were suppose to be taking a reciever in the draft, then, all of a sudden were rumored to be taking a RB in the draft?

Del Rio Guest

I will be extreemly surprised if they run the ball more. I don't believe it is out of necessity but out of poor design. Luckily for us we don't have to wait very much longer to find out.

Vrehna is offline Rookie

I think our running game is going to be way more solid than it was last year, even with the loss of O. Smith. Last year we had no outside running game thanks to the injury of Jimmy K. and lets face it, the only O. lineman that stayed healthy the entire year was Dixon (Maybe I'm exagerating). If we can have a healthy line this year (Birk recovers from surgery and all), and Jimmy K. and Wiggens can remember how to run block, we should have a productive running season this year.

(I'd mention how keeping Bennett healthy is important as well, but don't we talk about that enough here all ready? :smile: )

Del Rio Guest

Offensive lineman are never healthy lol. Lineman are the only players on the team that get hit every single play.

But I agree we did take some pretty devastating hits injury wise last year. Like I said though the lack of running the past few years IMO is more by design then it is necessity.

I agree having Sasser back is a huge improvement.

Vrehna is offline Rookie

It all has to do with what the opposing defense thinks we are going to do. Without Jimmy, other teams knew that we did not have much of an outside running game, so if we were gonna run, it would be up the middle. Opposing OLBs would stay in the middle before the snap, and would be right there if we ran it.

After a while, that wouldn't even be necessary. We always passed it.

Del Rio Guest

I attribute a lot of our lack of ability to run to the outside to the pulling lineman being young and inexperienced forced to play because of injury. That being said the run game has just been mundane for three years. It is designed for explosive runs for big gains.

In my opinion that is a poor run game by design. It's only purpose was to try and attempt to get Randy Moss 1 extra second of seperation. If it didn't then that was one less DB to worry about.

It hasn't been used to consistently move the ball for quite some time. There was a misconception earlier this year that we would be a more run oriented team. That the new O.Cord would make us a more run oriented team. We would run more traps, more counters and ultimately utilize every gap on the line.

They made absolutely no changes so far to promote that. This interview confirms to me that the run will still be weak as it has for three years, that it will be a smoke screen for Culpepper and the WR core. While I personaly don't like that style of play at least he is being honest.

As far as him trying to hide his intentions I doubt it. Teams can watch each other practice a few times a year, and they have video up to their ass of what a team is going to do. It all comes down to who does it better.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast