Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

tice is a idiot for kickers

nodack is a.....

TheMaineViking is offline Training Camp

no tice is an idiot for preseason games. how he could allow those guys to stay in as long as they did against hte niners is beyond me. now we lose bennett for maybe the first two or three games of the season. smith suspended as well...hate to complain but is frustrates me that our two top backs are not available for maybe the first month of the season. what bad luck....
    Les Steckel, More Bud

Blog Entries

well, if you think Tice is an idiot for keeping them in that long, then a majority of coaches are idiots. There are reasons to do so.

Unless all of you think we should just bench the players after 3 series every preseason game, cause then, you know, they will be so ready for the season. *dripping with sarcasm*

TheMaineViking is offline Training Camp

um...no. most coaches did not keep their starters in the preseason games that long. and do you really think keeping them into the second half was going to make that big a difference in how prepared they are for the season? in all three preseason games the starters have shown they are very prepared. it was a bad call by tice, plain and simple.
    Les Steckel, More Bud

Blog Entries

Umm, yeah. A lot of coaches, in game three, extend their starters the longest they do, and the game four is scrub time. Check around before condemning a well known practice. Its been in article after article about it. There is a reason for it.

Then again, maybe we should abolish preseason, right? Lets just start the season, sheesh. Protect them against everything no matter what! I say we put pads on the turf and wear tutus too. Maybe an ice cream social at half time.

Its a tough game and the injuries can happen on the first snap, or the 20th. No one knows, and long term readiness and strategy is more important. A well understood fact in the NFL.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"TheMaineViking" wrote:
    um...no. most coaches did not keep their starters in the preseason games that long. and do you really think keeping them into the second half was going to make that big a difference in how prepared they are for the season? in all three preseason games the starters have shown they are very prepared. it was a bad call by tice, plain and simple.

Some coaches kept their starters into the 4th quarter. Bud Grant used to have the starters play all the 3rd quarter in the third preseason game, was Bud and idiot?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"webmaster" wrote:
    Umm, yeah. A lot of coaches, in game three, extend their starters the longest they do, and the game four is scrub time. Check around before condemning a well known practice. Its been in article after article about it. There is a reason for it.

Then again, maybe we should abolish preseason, right? Lets just start the season, sheesh. Protect them against everything no matter what! I say we put pads on the turf and wear tutus too. Maybe an ice cream social at half time.

Its a tough game and the injuries can happen on the first snap, or the 20th. No one knows, and long term readiness and strategy is more important. A well understood fact in the NFL.

So do you think that most coaches would put their starters in, in the 3rd quarter, if their team gained 330 yards in the first half and held the opponents to 60? HELL NO! We dominated the first half and there was no reason for them to beout there in the 3rd, PERIOD. They didn'thave anything to prove against the 49ers 2nd team D.

Yes injuries can happen on any play, so wouldn't that mean that the more snaps you play, the more likely you are to get injured? So then why not cut down on that chance, especially when it looked like we were playing a highschool football team in the 1st half.

I fail to see what that one drive in the 2nd half did for our 1st team offense? Why did they not play more in the 3rd quarter? Can't use injury as an excuse here, because you won't let us use it as an excuse for them not to be out there at all in the 2nd half.

Given the situation of the game, STUPID STUPID STUPID move by tice and now we have to pay for that stupid move.

Each game is different and should be treated different, so to compare what other coaches do, to this game, isn't right. How many times do teams outgain their opponent by 270 yards in the 1st half?

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "TheMaineViking" wrote:

Some coaches kept their starters into the 4th quarter. Bud Grant used to have the starters play all the 3rd quarter in the third preseason game, was Bud and idiot?

First of all, is football today, the same as it was when grant was a coach? No. The game isn't the same today, so it really isn't fair to compare the 2.

Second, did you ever see a game where bud grant left his starters in the game, in the 2nd half, when his team outgained the other team 330 to 60 in the 1st half? I will go out on a limb here and say that answer is no.

Not a very good comparison here. Find me a coach that left his starters in during the 3rd quarter, when his team outgained the other team by 270, or even 200 yards, and that will be a good comparison.

Since I am always quick to point out when tice does something stupid, which is fairly often, I can also admit when he does something correctly. He finally did the right thing and got rid of elling. I will commend the guy for that move, but again i still will not trust the guy this year, when we are in a close playoff game.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Did you watch that carolina/new england game? A lot of starters were in for a long ass time, a lot longer then we had our starters in the game.

Injuries are part of the game, get used to it.

YOu think we had it bad, ask the eagles or the dolphins for example.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast