Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Tice and Daunte' Conference Call text on this weeks game.

Mike Tice and Daunte Culpepper Conference Calls - Wednesday, September 28, 2005:

Q: How important was it to capture that win at home last weekend?
    Tice: Well, of course, every win is so cherished because they're so hard to come by. And then to make some adjustments and be able to not turn the football over is key in this league and we didn't turn the football over in that game, which gave us an opportunity to win. We started the game faster. That was much, much better. We played faster on defense. It was great to see us improve and play a better style of football and get a little bit of confidence out of the game, but in the same breath, we came out of the game a little banged up.

Q: How is your team's injury situation?
    Tice: Well, Willie Offord, who played safety for us and who's our special teams captain is out for the year, so that hurts us pretty bad. The other injuries don't seem to be as bad as we first thought on Monday. Lance Johnstone's getting a second opinion today, but it's probably unlikely that he'll need surgery, so that's a good sign. I just met with Brian Williams. He'll only be out a couple weeks. So we'll be without a couple guys this week, but a couple guys like Darren Sharper seems to be getting better every day, E.J. Henderson's getting better every day. We get a couple guys back and lose a couple other guys. That's the nature of the season.

Q: It seems like running the football was something that helped you to victory against the Saints and how Mewelde Moore is doing for you in his second year?
    Tice: Well, we actually got the running game going early in the Cincinnati game; we averaged almost six yards a carry in the first half against Cincinnati, we just got so far behind that we weren't able to stay with it. Mewelde played very well for us last year when he did play when we had a suspension and then an injury and then Mewelde got his opportunity and played very well for us and then he got hurt. He hasn't been able to stay consistently on the field for us injury-wise, and this week got his chance because we haven't been able to get it going and wanted to get a little spark in there and I thought he did a good job for us.

Q: Do you think playing in the Metrodome makes it easier for you to play in a place like the Georgia Dome with the crowd noise?
    Tice: Well, it's never easy to play in an environment that is hostile, one in where the offensive linemen are trained to go on a snap count and the defensive linemen are trained to go on the ball, so the defensive linemen always have the advantage. You try to work on that. You try to concentrate - really, that's what it is, is a concentration thing - but it's tough. It's tough to hear the signals, it's tough, but everybody has to deal with it. You have to overcome it.

Q: Did Culpepper need a game like he had last week to build his confidence, or is he not fazed by much?
    Tice: Well, he's been in the league long enough to know he's not going to play every game great. We're off to a little bit of a slow start, some coaches in some different positions. We lacked a little bit of rhythm. We got things going a little better last week. He got in rhythm early. He's a great competitor. He was very determined to come out last week and do his fair share and of course, he did his fair share and a little bit more, but that's the nature of the young man. He's a very passionate player and very, very solid in terms of leading our football team, so we needed him to have success. It really helped energize our entire football team.

Q: Though nothing is like being a rookie again, is having coaches in different spots and a new offensive coordinator in particular making this like a rookie season for your offensive players again?
    Tice: I think every one of us who embarks on a new position professionally has some growing pains and I think that's what we experienced the first two weeks. Steve [Loney] moved up to the booth. I think that settled things down a bit. I feel he called a great game last week and I think that was a good thing we did, putting him up and also bringing Rich Olson the quarterbacks coach down, which helped Rich be able to communicate with Daunte a little more on the sideline between series.

Q: What about your receivers?
    Tice: Well, they're good. We're still working on the consistency in the passing game, making sure the players are on the same page all the time. WE haven't gotten to that end yet. Nate Burleson, our top receiver, is injured and he'll be back in a couple weeks. I think the group is coming along. I think it's a solid group. It's got some depth to it, has some speed to it and there are some playmakers. Travis [Taylor] has been the most consistent player we've had to this point and we're really pleased to have him.

Q: Has your offense changed this season with a new coordinator?
    Daunte Culpepper: Schematically nothing has changed. We still have the same plays and the same offensive mindset. But it's different with every coordinator. The rhythm of calling plays and things like that (are the only differences). But Coach (Steve) Loney was here under (former offensive coordinator Scott) Linehan so he's very familiar with the offense and how we do things. So in that aspect it's similar.

Q: To what do you attribute your early struggles?
    Culpepper: I think it's mainly just timing. We have a lot of new guys in important positions on this offense and it takes time to get into game mode and get the timing down. We understand that we are veterans and we understand that this is a long season. We want to get it right, and we want to get it right as soon as possible. We want to go out and play winning football.

Q: Can you say whether or not Week 1 and Week 2 were the lowest points in his career?
    Culpepper: I don't know. You have to go and check that out. Just losing two games in a row was low. If I lose two games in a row - or any game I lose - no matter what it is I didn't do enough to win. If I throw five touchdowns and we lose the game than what does that mean? Nothing. I went back and went over my mistakes and I'm moving on, simple as that.

Q: With Randy Moss gone, is the passing game less vertical?
    Culpepper: I think that's definitely wrong for anyone to think that. We have taken just as many shots as we would have if Randy was here. We're still going to play that way. That's how I play and that's how I will always play. I just have to make good decisions and keep our team in position to play.

Q: Could you describe the Falcons' defensive scheme?
    Culpepper: They are very aggressive. They blitz a lot and put pressure on offenses. They do a very good job of doing that and they are a very, very good football team. We have our work cut out for us and we just have to stay the course and prepare this week for them. Up front they are great and have great linebackers and have great guys in the secondary that cover guys very well. So they have a very, very solid football team and we have to just prepare to get ready for this week.

Q: Do the Falcons have a 'guy' on defense to look for?
    Culpepper: In this League every team has good players, but Rod Coleman definitely stands out. When you are watching film he's a guy that stands out. Same thing with Patrick Kerney, Keith Brooking, and DeAngelo Hall. Those guys definitely stand out. Overall, that defense is solid; very, very solid.

Q: Do you game plan against backup cornerbacks?
    Culpepper: I don't game plan against them because even though they are a backup that means nothing. These guys are professionals and are here for a reason: because they can play. I like to game plan against a defense, not a person. I look at a backup just like I do a starter. I have to do what I always do, make good decisions with the ball and plays to help my team win.

Q: Will you take more shots downfield because they have backup cornerbacks?
    Culpepper: We're going to take the same amount of shots we would if their starters were in there. Having a starter or not in there means nothing to me.

Q: What do you remember about playing in the Georgia Dome?
    Culpepper: It's very loud. The crowd gets into the game and it's a lot of fun. That's what the NFL is all about. It's about crazy fans, people having fun and playing good football. I'm very excited about coming there and playing.

Q: Does playing in the Metrodome help when you have to go on the road to play in a dome?
    Culpepper: Well, when you play in the Metrodome it's loud, and when you play in other domes it's loud too. But it's still football. The rules are the same, the fields are the same, and it all comes down to just playing winning football.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/gameday/article.jsp?id=8627

Prophet Guest

Re: Tice and Daunte' Conference Call text on this weeks game.

Q: How is your team's injury situation?
    Tice: Well, Willie Offord, who played safety for us and who's our special teams captain is out for the year, so that hurts us pretty bad. The other injuries don't seem to be as bad as we first thought on Monday. Lance Johnstone's getting a second opinion today, but it's probably unlikely that he'll need surgery, so that's a good sign. I just met with Brian Williams. He'll only be out a couple weeks. So we'll be without a couple guys this week, but a couple guys like Darren Sharper seems to be getting better every day, E.J. Henderson's getting better every day. We get a couple guys back and lose a couple other guys. That's the nature of the season.
    Here's the Sept. 29 update:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS September 29, 2005 18:29:21 PT

OFFICIAL INJURY REPORT

PROBABLE: RB Moe Williams (knee), WR Koren Robinson (head), LB Sam Cowart (knee), LB Dontarrious Thomas (hamstring)
    QUESTIONABLE: LB E.J. Henderson (ankle), FS Darren Sharper (knee)
    DOUBTFUL: DL Lance Johnstone (shoulder), DL Kenechi Udeze (knee)
    OUT: WR Nate Burleson (knee), CB Brian Williams (knee)
    INJURED RESERVE: C Matt Birk (hip), DL Steve Martin (ankle), FS Willie Offord (ACL)
    SUSPENDED: RB Onterrio Smith
    NFI: WR Aaron Hosack (undisclosed)

CURRENT UPDATES

OFFENSE
    -- RB Moe Williams (knee) did not practice Thursday, Sept. 29, but remains probable for Week 4. He is expected to practice some Friday, Sept. 30.
    -- WR Koren Robinson (migraine) is probable for Week 4, but was not able to practice Thursday, Sept. 29, due to a migraine. He is expected to return to practice Friday, Sept. 30, and play during Week 4.
    -- WR Nate Burleson (knee) remained out of practice Thursday, Sept. 29. As previously reported, he is out for Week 4.

DEFENSE
    -- DE Lance Johnstone (pectoral) did not practice Thursday, Sept. 29, and said he will not play during Week 4.
    -- DE Kenechi Udeze (knee) has been downgraded to doubtful for Week 4. He did not practice Thursday, Sept. 29, and is not likely to play.
    -- LB Dontarrious Thomas (hamstring) is probable for Week 4 and practiced in full Thursday, Sept. 29.
    -- LB E.J. Henderson (ankle) practiced in full Thursday, Sept. 29. He is questionable for Week 4.
    -- LB Sam Cowart (knee) practiced Thursday, Sept. 29. He is probable for Week 4.
    -- S Darren Sharper (knee) was very limited during practice Thursday, Sept. 29. He is going to give his injured knee a full test during practice Friday, Sept. 30. He is questionable for Week 4.
    -- CB Brian Williams (knee) is out for Week 4 with a second-degree sprained MCL. He will likely miss the next two-to-three weeks. CB Ralph Brown will be the nickel corner while Williams is out.

PREVIOUS UPDATES

DEFENSE
    -- LB Keith Newman (thumb) had a protective guard on his left thumb Monday, Sept. 26, after spraining a ligament against the New Orleans Saints Sunday, Sept. 25. Newman did not know when he suffered the injury but said he would be fine.
    -- S Willie Offord (knee) will miss the rest of the 2005 season with a knee injury sustained Sunday, Sept. 25. An MRI Monday, Sept. 26, revealed a torn ACL which will likely require surgery, trainer Chuck Barta said.

NOTES AND MISCELLANEOUS UPDATES
    -- 9/27 -- RB Mewelde Moore received both praise and some criticism from head coach Mike Tice Monday, Sept. 26. Tice believes that Moore needs work on his pass protection skills and other fundamentals, but also called Moore "a tough guy." Tice publicly questioned Moore's ability to play through pain in the past.

-- 9/26 -- The potential trade of Minnesota Vikings RB Michael Bennett to the Arizona Cardinals is not totally dead, despite earlier reports saying it was. The Cardinals want to evaluate the running back position after their Week 3 game.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

injuries man, dang...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

Here is Erasmus' chance to show Tice what he has...

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Tice and Daunte' Conference Call text on this weeks game

WR Koren Robinson (migraine) is probable for Week 4, but was not able to practice Thursday, Sept. 29, due to a migraine. He is expected to return to practice Friday, Sept. 30, and play during Week 4.
    hmmmm.... perhaps a little "hair of the dog" would have fixed him up.

Looks like most of these guys should be in good shape after the bye week. A lot of minor leg injuries on defense for a team going up against Vick and Dunn, hopefully they come out of it without anything more serious.

whiteboy is offline Pro-Bowler

the vikes will be alright this weekend, we'll hold our own. if we can contain him to the pocket, he'll show his true form and be very inaccurate, hopefully we'll get some picks.

slowlow is offline Rookie

dude....MOTHER LOAD OF INJURIES I HATE IT!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Haha, Tice starts every comment with, "Well, ..."
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I feel like the Panthers last year...such high hopes but so many injuries....Hopefully we'll have a good ending as thiers and a little better..!!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Prophet Guest

Vikings | M. Williams Misses Practice, Downgraded to Questionable
    Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:23:28 -0700

Minnesota Vikings RB Moe Williams (knee) did not practice Friday, Sept. 30, and has been downgraded from probable to questionable for the Week 4 game against the Atlanta Falcons Sunday, Oct. 2. Williams probably will not play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast