Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tice, Bennett, and Culpepper

Okay, first of all, Tice has got to go. I'm sorry but enough is enough. We have talent on this team, and somehow it just doesn't get put together...which is the head coaches job ultimately. Next, Culpepper is over rated. A lot of people think Culpepper is so great. But he has had the best wide receiver in the game to throw to previously. Now he doesn't and the results are obvious. I mean now they have a better defense but Randy is gone and look at the results. Here's a link to look at his turnovers....

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133263

The guy has had 150 turnovers so far in his career versus 163 touchdowns. That's not that great. True he has good athletic ability, but he doesn't have a real accurate arm, he doesn't make very good decisions, he lacks mental toughness, and doesn't have good pocket presence. You look at quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady for instance. They may not have Culpepper's athletic ability, but they get the job done better than he does, is the bottom line. As for Bennett, yikes, this is a big reason why Tice needs to hit the road. He STILL is starting Bennett?? He's not reliable, typically getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage or doesn't gain much, or losses yards. Once in awhile he'll have a decent run, usually on a screen pass out in the flats. He should be a 3rd down back, or a pass-situtation back and have him come out of the backfield for a dump off pass. He's just not a main starting back. Onterrio was, but he likes pot too much. I think we either need to let Me Moore have a shot at it....or draft a good starter in the draft next year. Bennett just doesn't cut it, even when he is healthy, which is another problem, he rarely is. That's my 10 cents.
    "We are Lions!!" - Achilles (from the movie Troy )

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Tice, Bennett, and Culpepper

"DefensivePlaymaker" wrote:
    Okay, first of all, Tice has got to go. I'm sorry but enough is enough. We have talent on this team, and somehow it just doesn't get put together...which is the head coaches job ultimately. Next, Culpepper is over rated. A lot of people think Culpepper is so great. But he has had the best wide receiver in the game to throw to previously. Now he doesn't and the results are obvious. I mean now they have a better defense but Randy is gone and look at the results. Here's a link to look at his turnovers....

The guy has had 150 turnovers so far in his career versus 163 touchdowns. That's not that great. True he has good athletic ability, but he doesn't have a real accurate arm, he doesn't make very good decisions, he lacks mental toughness, and doesn't have good pocket presence. You look at quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady for instance. They may not have Culpepper's athletic ability, but they get the job done better than he does, is the bottom line. As for Bennett, yikes, this is a big reason why Tice needs to hit the road. He STILL is starting Bennett?? He's not reliable, typically getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage or doesn't gain much, or losses yards. Once in awhile he'll have a decent run, usually on a screen pass out in the flats. He should be a 3rd down back, or a pass-situtation back and have him come out of the backfield for a dump off pass. He's just not a main starting back. Onterrio was, but he likes pot too much. I think we either need to let Me Moore have a shot at it....or draft a good starter in the draft next year. Bennett just doesn't cut it, even when he is healthy, which is another problem, he rarely is. That's my 10 cents.

So, your saying start Brad Johnson? And draft a different QB next year, right?

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I wonder what Ryan Leif is going for these days???

Shit, lets see if we can get Hershel Walker back too!
    That'll give us a new set of problems to bitch about!

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

"DefensivePlaymaker" wrote:

No sarcasm here...this is the post of the year. You nailed it.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

post of the year more like guy with his head fartherest up his butt that's coming back out his mouth, sorry man, but you discounted so much when it came to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, you think you are all wise but really you just throw names out there without analyzing the situations. First off Tom Brady has has one of the best coaching staffs all time, I don't think you can make an arguement that anyone Daunte has had has been nearly as good. Plus you seen Tom Brady play? Yea he shredded the raiders but congrats, shredded the raiders is like shreded our d in past seasons, but when you he played a good team he looked lost and liek he wasn't the unltimate winner, he is missing Charlie Weiss, offensive corridnators and quarterbacks have to be close and work well together, also it doesn't hurt that Brady had antwain smith break 1000 yds for him and Corey Dillion, whens the last time Daunte's had a back of that caliber. The one year we had a good running back robert smith we went far.
    For Peyton Manning, you have to be stupid to bring him to this. Lets see Peyton has Marvin Harrison who is probably the nfls most consistent wide reicer and definitely a top 3 wideout. And oh yea lets not forgot about edgerrian james one of the leagues best running backs. Also he's been in a much better situation. you can't compare edge and harrison get the nod over moss and bennett everyday. Peyton has a chanin mover.Culpepper has a straight line runner with speed who can't hit a hole to save his life hes good running to the outside and takinga db on one on but besides that he sucks. Marvin and Moss are pretty close in terms of state. Marvin is mr consistent and runs good routes and has excellent speed. Moss has great speed doesnt' run routes but has more talent.
    so next time look at Daunte's situation then make reasonable comaparions, Mike Bulger last season, no true feature back, crappy coaching, great wideouts, look what Daunte did last year in the same situation win a playoff game which is something bulger didn't. Culpepper is one of the most accurate qbs all time, and is the most accurate college qb of all time. last time i check his best reciever was kenny clark and not randy moss in college. so don't judge a players career and legacy aftert wo games. get a clue man, blabbing ur mouth only goes so far. think before you type

Prime Time 84 is offline Training Camp

"Vikes11KicksButt" wrote:
    post of the year more like guy with his head fartherest up his butt that's coming back out his mouth, sorry man, but you discounted so much when it came to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, you think you are all wise but really you just throw names out there without analyzing the situations. First off Tom Brady has has one of the best coaching staffs all time, I don't think you can make an arguement that anyone Daunte has had has been nearly as good. Plus you seen Tom Brady play? Yea he shredded the raiders but congrats, shredded the raiders is like shreded our d in past seasons, but when you he played a good team he looked lost and liek he wasn't the unltimate winner, he is missing Charlie Weiss, offensive corridnators and quarterbacks have to be close and work well together, also it doesn't hurt that Brady had antwain smith break 1000 yds for him and Corey Dillion, whens the last time Daunte's had a back of that caliber. The one year we had a good running back robert smith we went far.
    For Peyton Manning, you have to be stupid to bring him to this. Lets see Peyton has Marvin Harrison who is probably the nfls most consistent wide reicer and definitely a top 3 wideout. And oh yea lets not forgot about edgerrian james one of the leagues best running backs. Also he's been in a much better situation. you can't compare edge and harrison get the nod over moss and bennett everyday. Peyton has a chanin mover.Culpepper has a straight line runner with speed who can't hit a hole to save his life hes good running to the outside and takinga db on one on but besides that he sucks. Marvin and Moss are pretty close in terms of state. Marvin is mr consistent and runs good routes and has excellent speed. Moss has great speed doesnt' run routes but has more talent.
    so next time look at Daunte's situation then make reasonable comaparions, Mike Bulger last season, no true feature back, crappy coaching, great wideouts, look what Daunte did last year in the same situation win a playoff game which is something bulger didn't. Culpepper is one of the most accurate qbs all time, and is the most accurate college qb of all time. last time i check his best reciever was kenny clark and not randy moss in college. so don't judge a players career and legacy aftert wo games. get a clue man, blabbing ur mouth only goes so far. think before you type
    Wow. You're an embarrassement. Why don't you try capatalizing the first word of a sentence, writing paragraphs, or even coherent thoughts?

Daunte is a great quarterback, but he has been overhyped. I don't remember any game in recent memory when he was able to come from behind. He's too streaky. He'll have his awesome 5 TD weeks, but when we're playing a competitive game, he'll find a way to lose. I believe he is among the all-time fumbe leaders for quarterbacks, so that isn't good either. Daunte's play THIS year has been nothing short of miserable.

I don't even know why you make the comparison with "Mike" Bulger. Daunte has been given much more credit than him and is generally accepted to be the better quarterback. Having said that, Bulger makes gutty throws that I'm pretty sure Culpepper couldn't. He CAN come from behind as evidenced by St. Louis' shocking come back against Seattle last year. Sure, he's nowhere near as athletic, and yes, he throws a lot of interceptions. But that's because he takes chances. It may not be Daunte's fault, but he checks it down to running backs and tight ends for 3 yard gains far too much (which easily accounts for his "godly" completion percentage). The only time he would take a chance is throwing it up for Moss. Moss' catching radius is so large that tossing it to him doesn't take much accuracy at all.

Don't act like he hasn't had weapons around him either. How about Carter, Moss, Smith, and a great O-line in 2000? 2001 and 2002 I can somewhat agree that we were lacking in talent. However, we still finished near the top of the league in offense. But Culpepper's play was generally horrendous and plagued by bad decisions, fumbles, and interceptions. If nothing else, Culpepper proved in these years that he is not good enough to lead a poor offense. Still, in 2002, Culpepper did get good run production out of Michel Bennet (1,200 yrds), Then, in 2003, Culpepper had the best offense in the NFL. The best line, the fourth best running game, Jim Kleinsasser, and Randy Moss playing the best football of his career. Add to that an opportunistic defense that created turnovers, and it's no wonder he was an MVP canidate. The Vikings were also quite talented on offense in 2004. They weren't quite as balanced as '03, but it's not like Culpepper was a one man offense or anything. Regardless, he had a great year. Considering he had a pretty decent preseason this year, I expected big things, but at this rate, Culpepper is barely above average as a quarterback. He has no weapons this year. Burleson makes a great 2nd receiver, but one of the worst number 1 receivers in the league.

Oh, by the way, I have no idea how you can fault Tom Brady. He wins. He can come from behind. He leads. He makes the necessary throws and he manages the game. Once again, yes, Culpepper is a better athlete and has more potential, but Brady is a better quarterback. Talk about not having offensive weapons. Until recently, Culpepper was stocked with them and Brady was devoid of them. Throughout his career (until this year, really), Culpepper has had an awesome supporting cast (the best line in football until last year, 2 future hall of famer WRs, great TE's, and a good running game). Now our offensive talent from the Denny Green era is running dry because we've been drafting defense. The problem is that our defense still isn't good enough to win a championship, and now our offense can't carry them.

Peyton Manning is the undisputable best QB in football. You fail for trying to compare Culpepper to him. And his supporting cast has not been all that better, once again, until this year. Marvin Harrison is a great receiver who I like very much, and he makes some phenominal catches. However, I'm quite certain that he couldn't have made a lot of the catches Moss has made Culpepper look so good on over the years. Moss is faster, but more importantly, he's bigger, and can out leap people for the ball. Moss is only slightly above average in short to intermediate routes (in some cases, below average because he won't go across the middle--I wouldn't even want him to, it's a waste of his talents), but he is generally accepted as the best deep threat the game has ever seen. Ever seen highlights of the guy? Or ever seen how he could turn a little swing pass into a 60 yard catch and run *gleefully remembers the Thanksgiving day game against the Cowbodys in '98--a demonstration of what true speed is.

The only one blabbing is you. You're willing to belittle Culpepper's supporting cast just to make him sound better. It proves that you're just being ignorant. I can't believe you actually implied that Culpepper is better than Manning. Culpepper will never again in his career come close to matching what he did last year, yet last year's amazing play was still inferior to Manning's.

Del Rio Guest

First of all I liked the post.

Secondly:

"Culpepper will never again in his career come close to matching what he did last year"

I think he will. :grin:

Vikes11Kicksbutt: You are just full of frustration man, your favorite player is playing like crap. Stop taking it out on PPO. He will come around, you know he will.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

If Bennett gets 20 carries this week, HE WILL GET 100 YARDS!!

I have a feeling he's going to break a big one this week.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

Here is an article on Pep turning it around. Which is just what he will do this week.

Struggling Culpepper still confident in his ability

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
    September 22, 2005
    EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Daunte Culpepper made major strides the past two years, developing better poise on the field and a stronger awareness of the game that unquestionably helped him become one of the league's best quarterbacks.

Two weeks into this season, it looks as if Culpepper forgot everything he learned.

Dissecting Minnesota's offensive problems following two embarrassing performances in defeats to Tampa Bay and Cincinnati, Culpepper acknowledged this week he's been tentative at times and has thrown balls he shouldn't have in attempts to spark his stagnant offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

``That shows I'm not perfect. I've just got to keep battling through it,' said Culpepper, who has eight interceptions and only one touchdown, and that came rushing. He threw just 11 INTs against 39 TDs in 2004 while setting several franchise marks, a few NFL records and earning his third trip to the Pro Bowl.

The Vikings play New Orleans on Sunday, and badly need a victory.

``Daunte can take us all the way,' coach Mike Tice said, ``but there are also a lot of parts to the car that have to be working in sync -- and we've got to get that part corrected.'

To read the whole thing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApUYw82XCMHhpaGfmceNZK1DubYF?slug=ap-vikings-culpepper&prov=ap&type=lgns

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

It will be so interesting to read the comments on this board after the Vikings win next week and Bennett runs well and Pep throws well.
    Wonder what the big bitch will be then!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast