singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Tice: Bad Time To Play Lions

[size=18px]Tice: Bad Time To Play Lions [/size]

From Scout.com
    By Mike Fowler
    Lions Insider
    Date: Dec 1, 2005

With a Lions team that is seemingly in disarray on the horizon, Vikings coach Mike Tice isn't counting a victory in advance. Ironically, Tice thinks that Minnesota is catching Detroit at the worst time possible

ALLEN PARK - With a Lions team that is seemingly in disarray on the horizon, Vikings coach Mike Tice isn't counting a victory in advance. Ironically, Tice thinks that Minnesota is catching Detroit at the worst time possible.

"I am not going to go into [why playing the Lions now is difficult], but it is a pain in the (butt) having to get ready for the unexpected," said Tice. "I don't know what we are expecting. I am not going to tell you what we are expecting and I am not going to tell you what I am working. I will tell you it makes it harder on the coaches and players to prepare for the unexpected."

Tice narrowed it down though saying, he wasn't necessarily concerned about Jeff Garcia. "I don't think that (Jeff Garcia being a little more mobile) will play into any of our preparation."

He did say, though, what he thought of interim coach Dick Jauron going back to his style of emphasizing the run; and possibly seeing more of running back Kevin Jones. "I think he is an excellent back, I really do," admitted Tice. "We liked him coming out - I am sure they did, they drafted him pretty high. I think he is a very good back."

More than anything Tice hinted that the change in the coaching staff, which brought out a lot of emotion from several players who were fond of Mariucci, including Dre' Bly, could cause the Lions to play at a higher than normal intensity level.

"We have had trouble against Dré Bly," said Tice. "He has played very well against the Vikings."

For Jauron, he saw in practice this week some of the things that Tice mentioned, a little bit of an extra push.

"I don't want to say [the players were] nervous because they are professionals - but they were a little ill at ease, which makes them push which is good," said Jauron. "We got great effort (Tuesday) and hopefully we will continue to get it. As you move on, it becomes a little more routine and you have to try to keep them out of just looking at it as routine. We will keep working at that. It was a good practice."

The coach says that he will comply with Matt Millen's wishes to develop the young players, although initially, that will not include Joey Harrington. Jauron said the key thing is to make sure the best players are on the field on Sunday.

"We are going to play the guys that play the best on Sunday. [Those] that compete the best in practice and show the best and we will go from there. I don't know how you face a team if you don't do that."

Some observers felt that Mariucci sent a message to several players who didn't excel in practice by sitting them on Sunday, but Jauron said that can backfire.

"I don't know how you stand up and talk about trying to win a game unless you feel like you are playing the best people that give you a chance to win. I always don't believe that you can ever fool a team. They have a good idea about what is going on with everything and everybody."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Tice: Bad Time To Play Lions

Hmmm. Yes, preparing for the unexpected would be tougher. Every week is preparing for the unexpected though. The general feel is that Jauron will concentrate on the run. Good, sound, basic football should be enough to get the job done. Personally, I would throw some new twists in the game plan for the 'newbie' coach. On the defensive or offensive in play calling? This should be a good game.

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

I think that the coaching change makes a difference, unfortunately for the Lions you can not make a team in a week!! I am not saying that this game is a guaranteed victory, I just think that the Vikings are playing very well, so I expect a close game. I do not want to sound cocky our create any ill-advised over confidence in my feelings on the match-up I just feel that the Vikes match-up well for this weekends game!

Go Vikes!!

Cheers!

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Well this isn't Jauron's first run as Head Coach, he was the head coach for the bears for a couple years I believe. If this was our first time ever seeing him as a HC then I could see something to be nervous about. Also we're playing the Lions so I'm not worried. The Lions have all the talent in the world and have nothing to show for it.

Thanks Josdin

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Eh, I don't put much stock in that. I think the turmoil that the team is in is going to outweigh the "unexpectedness". With Jauron in his first week as coach and all of that stuff that Dre Bly said, I just don't see how they could focus that well.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I would hope that is what Tice does if the team isn't prepared the Lions could catch us.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i think this game is going to be a tad tougher than people think, yet alot easier than some mgiht think.
    We're bringing purple back.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Just gotta take that first burst of emotion they give us and snuff the fire out early. Stop the run and let Garcia throw some wablers out so we can get some turn overs and good field posistion. If our offense doesn't turn it over and can run the ball, we will be 7-5. Getting Better when it counts. Skol Vikes.