Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tice

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Tice

Well I guess you could say they have gone from terrible to bad. However at the beginning of the season we were winning games. Something we are not doing now. I think any good high school coach can look at film of our D and figure out a way to beat it. I think players have improved but the scheme has not.

WWBGD

Del Rio Guest

Tice

Any coach can look at any D on film and lay down a plan to beat it, but as anything else it's up to the players to execute.

With all the missed tackles and dropped interceptions I would say that it is more of a "football," basics then a scheme thing. And since these boys are professionals I have to chalk it up to poor recruiting or just getting used to the NFL.

Most of our games have been so close that small mistakes in hind sight have clearly killed us. Small mistakes that are taught at the pee wee level. Perhaps the coaches aren't preaching the basics. Maybe because they are so concerned about being buddy buddy they don't feel comfortable confronting a player that is continually making petty mistakes or missing tackles?

RK.

Tice

Perhaps the coaches aren't preaching the basics. Maybe because they are so concerned about being buddy buddy they don't feel comfortable confronting a player that is continually making petty mistakes or missing tackles?
    Could be, who knows. IMO our problems are mostly coaching and not players. When teams are driving 80yrds in the closing min of the game week after week that is a scheme problem. You want to beat the vikes just go to the hurry up offense. Our guys are standing too far off the line of scrimmage and just letting offenses take a run at them. And its worse when they go to the full prevent D. That is a scheme and coaching problem. Trying to cover someone who is running flat out by the time they get to you is damn hard even for a Dion Sanders let alone rookies. That is Cottrell's fault because obviously he isn't correcting it if it were just players lining up wrong. They have been lining up that way all year long by design. Either he thinks the team is so bad that they can't play bump and run or he just thinks sitting back in a prevent zone can win football games.

WWBGD

Del Rio Guest

Tice

I guess he must really be sold on his scheme and they are not. When a team is confident and playing well as a team and doing the basic things like tackling and getting to the ball then they should win no matter what. We have been in every game so far this year with the exception of one.

And the players were not doing the basics. They were in position but they weren't making the play. All the D coach can do is put them in a position to make the play he can't make the tackle for them.

It's almost if the team is feeling sorry for themselves. And are playing depressed.

Anyway's not trying to say you are wrong we all have opinions but this was like the 100th Mike Tice Thread LOL

ksvikesfan is offline Rookie

Tice

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I disagree, but to each his own. If you honestly think another scheme and another cordinator will magically fix this situation that's just a little bit crazy. All I see them lacking is leadership and direction on the field.

Tice is here another year so I think your gonna have to watch some basketball or just live with it for now

QQ

I have to agree with you here. You can look at the Chiefs last year who tried to fix their defense by just bringing in a new coordinator, a great one at that. Now they're worse than they were the year before. Good players instincts can make a bad scheme work.

I think with upgrades at CB and MLB we could be average. But if we want to be good we'll probably also need a new safety, another OLB and probably another DE as well.

RK.

Tice

Anyway's not trying to say you are wrong we all have opinions but this was like the 100th Mike Tice Thread LOL
    LOL I know. I am not really arguing with you. I am just so pissed off we are where we are again this season after a good draft. I really had hopes that the D would be improved enough to hold teams to 20pts a game. Oh well... :roll: Maybe another year and another draft and some FA signings. :?

WWBGD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123