Thread: Tice

CrazyAtMSU is offline Training Camp

Tice

hello everyone, i'm new to the board. I've been browsing for a while now and i read someones signature to "stop browsing, start posting" and so thats what i did. I'm a student here at Minnesota State and I have been thinking about something this whole week

Its seems to me that Mike Tice, along with his coaching staff, do a poor job of making adjustments during the course of the game. The game plan always seems to be effective for a majority of the game, then other teams make adjustments and just pound us. Chicago started blitzing us in the second half like crazy and we didn't seem to have an answer for it. I did see the vikings go to 5 wide outs to spread out the defense but that was ineffective. This last week against the Texans we got bombed in the later part of the game. Our offense, despite scoring 14 points, didn't look nearly as potent as it had in the first half. We had one big play to Moss for seven but other than that, it wasn't the viking offense we saw in the first half.

just a thought...

PhxFan is offline Pro-Bowler

Tice

Welcome aboard
    I see what your saying also...don't know the answer, but it is frustrating.
    If I knew the answer, I'd have a big coaching contract too!!

Tice

I agree that a lot of our errors are coaching errors. The coaching mistakes with this team go back to Denny Green completely screwing up the 98 NFC Champ game vs. the Falcons by taking our offense out of what made us successful the whole year. I think this time, the coaching problem is more with the D though. We play like a scared defense sometimes, like we are supposed to be bad. We need to be more agressive(which Tice and Co. say we will be) especially with blitzes...and we do need to adjust on the go. I think, and hope, that our defense will get better with time, as the players adjust to each other more. I mean, we have had a totally new nickel back, 2 linebackers out, Mixon out for a little, and now we have Martin and Hovan alternating, so they really haven't had a chance to come together all the way yet. I think we are making progress, and Cotrell and Tice seem to be noting the fact that we need to be more agressive, so thats good. We'll see how it goes I guess - im not too concerned YET.

By the way, welcome to PP Crazy!

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Tice

Welcome to the board, CrazyatMSU! You make a good point in your initial posting...and I am glad that you stopped browsing and started posting...the decision making is very poor and sometimes it is not the fact that the Vikings are not adjusting, but the fact that we get a lead and try to sit on it, forgetting what got us the lead in the first half...we try to run a ball control offense with the lead instead of just piling on the points...hell, if we keep scoring TDs every time we get the ball, the other team can only hope to score just to keep up...with the capabilities of our offense, I would be just as happy with high-scoring shootouts as I would with defensive shutouts...besides the more our offense drives for TDs, the less time our defense has to be on the field...a WIN-WIN situation in my humble opinion!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Tice

Tice does make decsions. He decides to put Vik's fans on the edge of their seat inviting a heart attack.
    Seriously, I think we need to stick with what works. Our running game was chewing up the clock in the first half, then it seemed like we abandoned it in the second half. I'll give you my thoughts about the Defense after the Saints game.

Welsome to the board!

CrazyAtMSU is offline Training Camp

Tice

I also noticed that the vikings "ball control" offense abandoned the run in the second half. I can't see how that makes ANY sense what-so-ever. Its a common knowledge that teams run the ball to take time off the clock. i just can't understand the reasoning behind that

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Tice

As far as the running game, they stopped us on the first down and made us throw on 2nd and long.

They stacked the line. I suppose we could run on 2nd and 3rd down but then we would all be complaining that we ran the ball too much.

The Falcons game, man that wasn't Denny's fault. We were so banged up on defense and had no depth to fill in. We got tired and couldn't shut down there offense. Denny may have been able to let it rip but that would have been like saying he had no confidence in the D. Also, by letting it rip we keep putting the D back out on the field tired and injured to fail. His only option that game was to try and run to use the clock. He knew the D wouldn't last. The offense needed to come through and they couldn't run it.

J.Randal was only 50% for that game. We were already 2 LBs down. I think we even had to play Talley on the line, WE WERE HURTING BAD!

Thank God we have more depth this year, or we would be crying on Sunday this year.

We were in a position to win. FG wide. Lots of people were crying at that game. It is still tough to stomach. Please don't bring that game up again if at all possible.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Tice

HEY!! Hello, and welcome, CrazyatMSU! TMQ says, dance with the one that 'brung ya. I think he is correct. We pass WAY too much, especially when the chips are down in the second half. Happened in the Eagles game too. Injuries and all aside, we should still be able to run. *grin* Even our fourth string back...how many teams can say that? Especially in the second half. As far as the D, hmmmmm, seems to me new DC's don't do well their first year. Cottrell is doing great, considering its his first year HERE. I bet he gets things going for us. Make that I HOPE he gets things going here. Gonna be fun to see what our D does against the Colts. Especially if even moderatly healthy.