Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Thumb"

"The Thumb"

Just for now, I'm a little tired of reading about how yesterday sucked so just for the fun of it read this.[:P] Just something I found on the net. Oh and by the way, when I typed in "favres thumb", in the search window, I got 13,234 pages of stuff.

Broken Thumb? Broken Record!
    Announcing Trio Mentions Favre's Broken Thumb a Miraculous 23,475 Times
    ESPN announcers Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann, and Paul Maguire set what is believed to be a new record for mentioning an athlete’s nagging injury during one NFL football broadcast. The trio mentioned Green Bay Packers’ quarterback Brett Favre’s broken thumb exactly 23,475 times during Sunday night’s ESPN telecast of the Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings game. “We didn’t even realize we were approaching the record,” said Theismann, “we were so amazed that Favre was doing what he was doing with that broken thumb. Hey, does that one count? Add that to the total, would you?”

Fans who did not know or had forgotten that Favre came into the game with a broken right thumb, were reminded of the fact before the telecast even started, on ESPN’s popular NFL Primetime highlight show, and the blatant overkill did not stop until moments after the Packers, led by Favre’s broken thumb, defeated the Vikings 30-27.

“They kept mentioning his broken thumb like a [expletive] broken record,” said Vikings fan Tommy Ryan, “I mean, come on. Do you have to mention it on every single play? I understand they hire these idiots [the announcers] because they supposedly know a lot about football, but seriously, enough is enough.” Ryan continued, “It’s not like it had that big of an effect on the outcome of the game. It wasn’t Favre’s [expletive] thumb that ran all over our [the Vikings] defense for over 200 yards.”

Ryan went on to say that he only caught “the first eleven or twelve thousand” times the broken thumb was mentioned before muting his TV for the entire second half. “By then, my head was ringing and I honestly would have killed myself if they mentioned that damn thumb again. It’s a toss-up for who’s dumber, those three [Patrick, Theismann, and McGuire] or the Next Joe Millionaire. And another thing – mix in a few synonyms, huh? Try ‘fractured’ or ‘cracked,’ or something. Good Lord.”

At one point, the trio mentioned Favre’s thumb an astounding 22 times in a 1 minute span late in the second quarter. The exchange went like this:

Patrick: “Favre breaks the huddle with a broken thumb and comes under center. He gives a quick broken thumb’s up to receiver Javon Walker and puts his broken thumb under center. There’s the snap. Broken thumb fake to Green, play action pass, rolling to his right with a broken thumb, Favre launches one toward the end-zone where it’s caught by Walker, who does not have a broken thumb, like Favre, he breaks a tackle and he's in for a touchdown! Goodness! What a great throw with a broken thumb!”

Theismann; “Mike, the beautiful thing about that play is Favre did all that with a broken thumb. Let’s take a look at the replay. On the play-action, Favre usually fakes the hand-off with his right hand, but since he has a broken thumb, he had to fake with his non-broken thumbed left hand, all the while holding the ball with his right, which has a broken thumb. Then, he has the presence of mind to fake the throw in the flat to Green, which is tough to do with a broken thumb, freezing the safety and allowing Walker to get open at the 5.”

"to win a game of this magnitude with a broken thumb is just incredible. The greatest thing about Favre is that he brings out the broken thumb in every one of his teammates - just a great broken-thumbed performance."
    Maguire: “And Walker does the rest from there, Joe. I’ll tell you what, that broken-thumbed throw was as good as any non-broken thumbed throw I’ve ever seen. And what improvation [sic] by Favre! You know that broken thumb is constantly on his mind, yet he’s able to come out and rifle a broken-thumbed laser to Walker. I’m surprised Walker didn’t break his thumb! Just watch on the replay here, you’ll see Favre celebrating. He just goes right up to Walker and hits him on the top of the helmet with his right hand – the one with the broken thumb! It’s almost like that broken thumb doesn’t even effect him. Then he’s so excited he pushes him with his broken-thumb hand and gives him a broken-thumbed high five! That’s just a great play by a great, broken-thumbed quarterback, guys.”

In another near-record, close ups of the broken thumb were shown 150 times, which narrowly missed the previous record, set during the 2001 season, when Kurt Warner attempted to play a game with a broken finger on his throwing hand. Favre was shown in many different poses with his broken thumb, including slow-motion shots of the thumb getting re-taped and Favre blowing on the thumb.

Favre admitted “the thumb didn’t even have that great of an effect. I just handed off to Ahman all day. When you’re getting yardage like that on the ground, the passing game just opens up. I was able to take advantage. I didn’t really get hit hard either, so the thumb was never an issue.”

Patrick, Theismann, and Maguire disagreed. “What a fiery competitor,” said Theismann of Favre, “as I said, to win a game of this magnitude with a broken thumb is just incredible. The greatest thing about Favre is that he brings out the broken thumb in every one of his teammates – just a great broken-thumbed performance.”

[Beer][Beer][Beer][Beer][Beer]

"The Thumb"

Bulldog67 is offline Starter

"The Thumb"

Bleed Purple or Die

"The Thumb"

superior230bartime is offline Pro-Bowler

"The Thumb"

purplepride.org: Home of Disillusioned Vikings Fans World-wide

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"The Thumb"

Bulldog67 is offline Starter