Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    A2-D8 is offline Training Camp

Re: Three-safety formation?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "A2-D8" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "A2-D8" wrote:
    I think the LB who struggled in coverage at times last year was Greenway, he simply lookes like a young player.
    Leber seems to be the less atheletic of the LB's but his head for the game makes up for that.

I went to college at the University of South Dakota which is located in Leber's home town.
    He's a legend there, along with his 2 older brothers.
    I worked at a bar with his best bud from high school so I have met Leber a few times......very nice guy, down to earth, midwest guy.

Also very smart which is evident on the field.

Thanks for the insight my friend.

My take on Chad is that he did a pretty good job (all things considered) as a first year starter (2nd year in the league) and those struggles will be somewhat non existant this year much the same way as I anticipate TJ, Cook, McCauley, Gordon etc will struggle less because of the on field experience they got last year coupled with some indepth film study during this offseason.

Ben, on the other hand will be able to make some minor adjustments but he is about as good as he will ever get, which by the way, is good enough in certain situations.
    Agreed on all counts.
    This LB crew has only one year togehter under its belt and they still played well.
    Greenway should only get better.
    Add Allen and therefore the ability to cover instead of blitz as a LB, and this D will be fun to watch.
    You just made a late night move on the ole spreadsheet as well.

Great post my friend.

;D
    Sweet!!
    Starting to really enjoy PP.O.
    Love some good Vikiings talk.
    Anyway........ I think whatever Nickel package suits the situation (O-personnnel, down and distance, etc...) we will have a number of answers.
    A standard nickel with McCauley playing for Leber, the "Leber hybrid" package used last year, or the "big nickel," it will be very difficult for an offence to plan a solid scheme against our multi-wide (3 or more WR) defense.
    Keep in mind we still have Charles Gordon and added Benny Sapp, plus there is talk that Tyrell Johnson can possibly play some CB..............We have not even scratched the surface of the possibility of say....Jared Allen dropping into zone on a zone blitz.
    Leslie Frasier and his amazing scheming.
    This is going to be great!
    "I don't believe it."

"That is why you fail."

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"A2-D8" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "A2-D8" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "A2-D8" wrote:
    I think the LB who struggled in coverage at times last year was Greenway, he simply lookes like a young player.
    Leber seems to be the less atheletic of the LB's but his head for the game makes up for that.

I went to college at the University of South Dakota which is located in Leber's home town.
    I worked at a bar with his best bud from high school so I have met Leber a few times......very nice guy, down to earth, midwest guy.

My take on Chad is that he did a pretty good job (all things considered) as a first year starter (2nd year in the league) and those struggles will be somewhat non existant this year much the same way as I anticipate TJ, Cook, McCauley, Gordon etc will struggle less because of the on field experience they got last year coupled with some indepth film study during this offseason.

Ben, on the other hand will be able to make some minor adjustments but he is about as good as he will ever get, which by the way, is good enough in certain situations.
    Agreed on all counts.
    This LB crew has only one year togehter under its belt and they still played well.
    Add Allen and therefore the ability to cover instead of blitz as a LB, and this D will be fun to watch.

Great post my friend.

;D
    Sweet!!
    Love some good Vikiings talk
    Anyway........ I think whatever Nickel package suits the situation (O-personnnel, down and distance, etc...) we will have a number of answers.
    A standard nickel with McCauley playing for Leber, the "Leber hybrid" package used last year, or the "big nickel," it will be very difficult for an offence to plan a solid scheme against our multi-wide (3 or more WR) defense.
    Keep in mind we still have Charles Gordon and added Benny Sapp, plus there is talk that Tyrell Johnson can possibly play some CB..............We have not even scratched the surface of the possibility of say....Jared Allen dropping into zone on a zone blitz.

You still have a few naysayers on here who can't see the picture but they are fun to pick on as they really think they can make an arguement that the sky is falling.

I would list them but you will figure them out on your own I am sure.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "A2-D8" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "A2-D8" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=A2-D8 link=topic=44720.msg775800#msg775800 date=1210142435]

e

Agreed on all counts.

Great post my friend.
    ;D
    Sweet!!
    You still hav a few naysayers on here who can't see the picture but they are fun to pick on as they really think they can make an arguement that the sky is falling.

;D
    [/quote]

Yes Mar, I see you're getting in line with the rank in file in calling anybody who disagrees at all nay sayers and chicken littles.
    ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "A2-D8" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "A2-D8" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=44720.msg775802#msg775802 date=1210142642]
    [quote author=A2-D8 link=topic=44720.msg775800#msg775800 date=1210142435]

e

Agreed on all counts.

Great post my friend.

;D
    Sweet!!

You still hav a few naysayers on here who can't see the picture but they are fun to pick on as they really think they can make an arguement that the sky is falling.

;D
    [/quote]

Yes Mar, I see you're getting in line with the rank in file in calling anybody who disagrees at all nay sayers and chicken littles.

;D
    [/quote]
    Hell I'm not in line I am leading the fricken pack.

By the way, I love the big fat Koolaid guy.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

digital420 is online now Team Alumni

honestly the only reason i can see us going to a 3 safety formation is to employ the,
    StopSign defence.
    it would allow for 2 much open center space for quick dumps. but not allow yac, or anything over 3-5 yrds.

could be good for a 4th qtr drive killing time eating D. esp if we get coverage sacs from it.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I guess I could see us using Big Nickle instead of a prevent defense, or maybe it is just a way of saying we have the ability to rotate 2 different players in at nickleback. However, during the run I would rather see an LB in there, and during the pass McCauley is a better option right now. Against pass catching TEs it might work, but Johnson is only 4 pounds heavier than McCauley.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    I guess I could see us using Big Nickle instead of a prevent defense, or maybe it is just a way of saying we have the ability to rotate 2 different players in at nickleback. However, during the run I would rather see an LB in there, and during the pass McCauley is a better option right now. Against pass catching TEs it might work, but Johnson is only 4 pounds heavier than McCauley.

Really? In the prevent you want as much cover skills, and speed on the field as possible, typically 4 corners at the line, one LB, and 3 safeties deep.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Really? In the prevent you want as much cover skills, and speed on the field as possible, typically 4 corners at the line, one LB, and 3 safeties deep.
    Yeah, that is the typical definition of a prevent defense, but I think the scheme is broken. It has no ability to stop underneath routes, nobody who can match up against an effective TE, and no ability to put pressure on the passer.

As long as you play your DBs 5-7 yards off of the line of scrimmage, I think a formation like the Big Nickle is just as effective. You have two LBs who can take away underneath routes, an extra safety to put on that TE, and still have 4 linemen to try to get to the QB. The zone responsibilities would not be
    exactly like a cover 2, but personnel-wise I think it works.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

The prevent should be renamed, "I know you're going to score, so I'm just going to try and slow you down some"

Seriously, that defense hasn't worked for years.
    Even with a 2 TD lead, you're just one elusive, YAC reciever away from losing the game.
    Ex, Steve Smith or Devin Hester.
    D'oh!

I like the idea of an updated version.
    Three S back, or "Umbrella," defense (was that you KevinK?) doesn't seem all bad to me.
    It still gives you 4 rushing lineman, 2 cover corners outside, and 2 LBs playing the short to mid routes inside...in addition to your deep 3.
    The outside Ss would be expected to step up in the event the WR's routes brought the CBs out of their outside zones.
    I would say the MS would be expected to stay back (last line) until he's sure he's diagnosed the play.

Then you could always have one or both of your DE's play outside/drop back some to stuff a screen if you saw it coming too.

I actually think all our LBs are underrated.
    Well, except Greenway, but I expect him to grow with experience.
    I two years of being a Viking Leber has managed 115 tkls, 8 sacks, 2 INTs, 5 FFs, 9 passDs, and a TD.
    Not too bad in my book.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302071
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345