Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Three quarterbacks are brought in to work out today

Three quarterbacks are brought in to work out today

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 3, 2005 at 9:02 PM

Three free-agent quarterbacks will work out today at Winter Park as the Vikings consider whether to add more depth to their roster in the wake of starter Daunte Culpepper's season-ending knee injury.

Veterans Rohan Davey, Doug Johnson and Preston Parsons all are scheduled to perform for coaches and members of the personnel department. The Vikings plan to enter Sunday's game against Detroit with only Brad Johnson and Shaun Hill on their roster, and none of the three free agents are expected to be signed today.

If the Vikings do add a No. 3 quarterback, it likely wouldn't happen until next week.

Davey spent three seasons with New England and was released by Arizona this season. Johnson, recently released by Cleveland, has played for Atlanta and Tennessee. Parsons has been with Arizona and Houston.

Rookies with roles

Injuries and ineffectiveness from others have catapulted rookies Ciatrick Fason and Erasmus James into more regular playing time.

Fason, whose appearances have been limited to special teams, is expected to be the Vikings' short-yardage running back against the Lions; veteran Moe Williams missed a second consecutive day of practice because of muscle spasms in his back and a sore knee.

"I've been ready," Fason said. "Just being a rookie, you've got to wait for your opportunity."

The Vikings will rotate several players into Williams' role in third-down passing situations, Fason included. His blitz-pickup skills "have improved dramatically," coach Mike Tice said, and Fason encouraged coaches to trust him.

"Once you get on the field and you don't give up sacks," he said, "it's not a topic anymore. . . . Trust me, when I get in a game to pass protect, [opponents] won't have a sack."

James, meanwhile, figures to get extensive action at defensive end when the Vikings use their 4-3 scheme. He could start. Active for six games this season, James has two tackles and four quarterback hurries.

"Of course I'm going to be frustrated if I'm not playing," he said. "But that's just something I've got to deal with. I've got to overcome that and keep working. Each week, I'm getting better."

Etc.

• Receiver Marcus Robinson did not participate in the 11-on-11 portion of practice Thursday, resting the sprained left knee he suffered in practice Wednesday. He said the knee was "just sore" and Tice said he expected Robinson to be available Sunday.

• Thursday afternoon's practice included a sizeable brawl started by a hard sideline hit on running back Michael Bennett by cornerback Laroni Gallishaw.

• Receiver Koren Robinson and safety Darren Sharper both took snaps Thursday morning during the Vikings' walkthrough practice. Robinson is expected to be the team's emergency No. 3 quarterback Sunday.

• The Vikings will resume their standard pregame introduction policy Sunday against the Lions after scrapping it for the Oct. 23 game against Green Bay. The Vikings offense and Lions defense will be introduced.

• Cornerback Ken Irvin missed practice Thursday to attend a funeral.

• The betting line opened with the Vikings as 1 ½-point underdogs for Sunday's game. According to Las Vegas Sports Consultants, whose records date to 1973, the only other time the Lions have been favored for a game in Minnesota was in 1981. A 3-point favorite that day, Detroit lost 26-24 at Metropolitan Stadium.

Staff Writer Judd Zulgad contributed to this report.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Three quarterbacks are brought in to work out today

Thursday afternoon's practice included a sizeable brawl started by a hard sideline hit on running back Michael Bennett by cornerback Laroni Gallishaw.

Get this guy into the game!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"Fason, whose appearances have been limited to special teams, is expected to be the Vikings' short-yardage running back against the Lions; veteran Moe Williams missed a second consecutive day of practice because of muscle spasms in his back and a sore knee. "

FINALLY! i've been dying to see this kid hit the field. I for one love and want reggie bush on this team, but I'm so damn curious to see what fason can do!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

yess to Fason. i also cannot wait to see if this guy can play in the nfl or not. hopefully he bust a 50+ yarder and works his way into the lineup a little more often. and that would give us something more to talk about, and we all know how much we love to talk.

"Receiver Koren Robinson and safety Darren Sharper both took snaps Thursday morning during the Vikings' walkthrough practice. Robinson is expected to be the team's emergency No. 3 quarterback Sunday."
    - now that is comedy. how horrible would it be to see him play as qb?
    We're bringing purple back.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    "Fason, whose appearances have been limited to special teams, is expected to be the Vikings' short-yardage running back against the Lions; veteran Moe Williams missed a second consecutive day of practice because of muscle spasms in his back and a sore knee. "

FINALLY! i've been dying to see this kid hit the field. I for one love and want reggie bush on this team, but I'm so gol 'darnit curious to see what fason can do!
    I would like to see this guy play more too. He looks like a solid back to me with a lot of promise. Unfortunately, with current line play of the Vikes, none of the RB's have been able to perform. Especially if Bennett is expected to be shipped out next year and Moe at the end of his run, would be good to know what we've got with Fason.

James too, this guy is a disruptor, I would like to see some decent playing time from him as well and no better time to do it then against the lions.

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

Davey looked great in Europe, I hope we sign him!

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

rohan davey... what a sweet name

Go vikes!!

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

I am excited to see fason and james. Maybe they will bring the spark we need to spank the lions...
    I BLEED PURPLE!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Bring on Rohan and then when we get Pep back we can cut Hill and make him the #3 and develop him into a #2. That would be a great move IMO.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Doug Johnson > Rohan Davey and Preston Parsons

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast