marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Three answers, one question

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth?tag=three%20answers%207

After the Vikings' 48-41 loss at Chicago, here are three (mostly) indisputable facts I feel relatively sure about:

1. Since I've been such a consistent campaigner on this issue, I feel obligated to point out the Vikings used tailbacks Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor on the field together multiple times Sunday. (My unofficial count was three, but I haven't gone back through the game yet.) On two of those plays, they scored a touchdown. One came on the 24-yard pass to tight end Visanthe Shiancoe. (Peterson was split to the left and quarterback Gus Frerotte faked a handoff to Taylor.) The other came on Taylor's 1-yard touchdown leap; he was lined up in a pro set next to Peterson. We're not saying. We're just saying.

2. The Vikings have some serious self-analysis ahead of them for their bye week, most notably on special teams. It's clear they don't trust their coverage teams against good returners, and possibly with good reason. They punt out of bounds and squib on kickoffs more than any team I've seen in a while. Injuries have forced them to shuffle personnel pretty consistently, but many teams have that problem. Here's the key stat: In seven games, the Vikings have given up five special teams touchdowns. That's about five too many.

3. Napoleon Harris will be the Vikings' starting middle linebacker when they resume play after the bye. Harris and Vinny Ciurciu split the position Sunday in Chicago, but there's little doubt the Vikings want Harris to be the guy. It makes sense for a lot of reasons and gives Harris one more chance at redemption. The best season of his career was probably 2006, when he was the Vikings' middle linebacker.

And here is one question I'm still asking:

Why did the Vikings run a bootleg play on fourth-and-1 with 4:12 remaining in the third quarter? Yes, it's always nice to have a run-pass option in such a critical situation, but did anyone think Frerotte would run it? The Bears didn't. They covered Peterson and receiver Bernard Berrian well, and Frerotte's pass landed at Berrian's feet. Frerotte said afterwards that he should have run, but no play is well-designed if that's one of the options. Frerotte is one of the least nimble quarterbacks in the league.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Three answers, one question

"marstc09" wrote:
    Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth?tag=three%20answers%207

After the Vikings' 48-41 loss at Chicago, here are three (mostly) indisputable facts I feel relatively sure about:

1. Since I've been such a consistent campaigner on this issue, I feel obligated to point out the Vikings used tailbacks Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor on the field together multiple times Sunday. (My unofficial count was three, but I haven't gone back through the game yet.) On two of those plays, they scored a touchdown. One came on the 24-yard pass to tight end Visanthe Shiancoe. (Peterson was split to the left and quarterback Gus Frerotte faked a handoff to Taylor.) The other came on Taylor's 1-yard touchdown leap; he was lined up in a pro set next to Peterson. We're not saying. We're just saying.

2. The Vikings have some serious self-analysis ahead of them for their bye week, most notably on special teams. It's clear they don't trust their coverage teams against good returners, and possibly with good reason. They punt out of bounds and squib on kickoffs more than any team I've seen in a while. Injuries have forced them to shuffle personnel pretty consistently, but many teams have that problem. Here's the key stat: In seven games, the Vikings have given up five special teams touchdowns. That's about five too many.

3. Napoleon Harris will be the Vikings' starting middle linebacker when they resume play after the bye. Harris and Vinny Ciurciu split the position Sunday in Chicago, but there's little doubt the Vikings want Harris to be the guy. It makes sense for a lot of reasons and gives Harris one more chance at redemption. The best season of his career was probably 2006, when he was the Vikings' middle linebacker.

And here is one question I'm still asking:

Why did the Vikings run a bootleg play on fourth-and-1 with 4:12 remaining in the third quarter? Yes, it's always nice to have a run-pass option in such a critical situation, but did anyone think Frerotte would run it? The Bears didn't. They covered Peterson and receiver Bernard Berrian well, and Frerotte's pass landed at Berrian's feet. Frerotte said afterwards that he should have run, but no play is well-designed if that's one of the options. Frerotte is one of the least nimble quarterbacks in the league.
    Why he should really look at detective work. ;D

All Kidding aside, I have to admit that it is the one thing that TJack does give us is the ability to run. Maybe in that sort of situation bringing him in may be wise, It wouod throw the defense off in that they were not expecting him to come in and now they alos have toplay the run, and maybe TJack can hit a WR or RB on a short pass, Hey
    said maybe
    ;D