Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VikesFan111 is offline Rookie

Thought on McCombs being charge for 3-10 weeks...

Okay...so we all know that the team is sold to Fowler. However, McCombs says he will be in charge until the sale is "Officially" approved by the NFL.

Question,
    Do you honestly think that McCombs is going to spend money on FA's?

That same question is being asked by everyone...

But,
    Do you think he will spend any money because there are chances that the deal might fall through?

Unless this deal is Finalized in the next 3 weeks, I don't see us landing any top FA's. Maybe one.

Your thoughts?

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

In the newsconference Red said something like "I'm going to continue to run it as I have until a deal is finalized". In other words, everything is status quo until the new owner takes over.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

My excitement for this offseason just went down the crapper, thats what I think.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

That is not good news ale:

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Red's not going to spend the money because of the off chance that this deal falls through. He's not gonna open his checkbook...

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Red wants to skate with as much loot as he can grab!

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Yeah, dammit man. Maybe Fowler will advise him to spend on FA...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Calmwind is offline Starter

maybe the salary cap is in with the deal and he will max it out to laugh at spending Reggies money!!
    Del Rio: "Football will go on, better players have left the Vikings, and better players will leave in the future.....the game rolls on."

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Well the only thing I worry about is that the cap has real money behind it and isn't just on paper.

As to Red running the team just as he has been that just means that he isn't going to do anything about FA or spending money or signing players. LOL

The only reason he would is if Fowler told him to act on something that couldn't wait. IMO

It will be interesting to see if other owners drag their feet in order to out manuver the Vikes in the FA signing war.

WWBGD

Post from V.R. Guy from the KFAN board wrote this...

Now before you hit reply and flame about Red being a cheap ___, realize how much money we need to spend this offseason:

The salary cap will be in the $85M - $88M range for the 2005 season.

We are currently $36M under the salary cap according to ESPN after counting unearned LTBE incentives.

Using the lower number, we have a current salary, before resigning our FAs, of $49M.

Last season the salary cap was ~ $80.5M and the minimum was ~$67.3M, or a difference of $13.2M. With the salary cap going up to at least $85M, the minimum will be at least $72.5M (See boring percentage explanations here http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp).

The draft can only account for $2.5M - $6M depending on position and number of picks based on the rookie pool which sets the maximum amount of money that can be spent on rookies (drafted & undrafted). Our number last year was $3.5M, and it should be similar as we have roughly the same spot in the draft. (See ESPN for team-by-team breakdown: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1792396) We'll say $4M for inflation.

So, using the salary cap of $85M, here's the math:

$72.5M (2005 minimum salary cap)
    - 4M (rookie pool max)
    - 49M (our current players' salaries for 2005)
    ------
    $19.5M

So no matter what, we have to spend $19.5M this free agency in order to hit the salary cap minimum.

Here is what LarryinHawaii said in reply...Excellent post, assuming the numbers are accurate. (You did all the work and I'm lazy, so why shouldn't I believe them?)

Here's why Red will jump into free agency on 3/2 (or before that by signing Wiggins):

+ He's not stupid. Or more accurately, Brzezinski is not stupid. If Fowler falls thru on 3/20, might Red be stuck with having to spend $20M with all the headline-making stars already signed? I'm sure they've thought about it.

+ Fowler's not stupid. If he gets voted in on 3/20, how ****ty is his free agency going to be, having to spend $20M with all the first-tier guys gone?

It's already written in the deal: McCombs will spend so much for such and such players (a specific list), and to pay for it the price goes from $600M to $625M.

Hopefully Fowler and his boys didn't sustain too much brain damage wearing those suspension helmets with the white plastic facemasks, and they know personnel as well as they played.

I think these are both very good observations personally.

Maybe we won't have such a bad offseason afterall...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast