NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Thinking about watching the Vikings in Super Bowl XLIV? Get ready to pay...

Since we are OBVIOUSLY going to be in the Super Bowl this year (I found my purple shades, hooray!), I thought I would keep everyone up to date on the best ways to get tickets to the big game.

There are six ways to get tickets to the game.
    Starting with the cheapest...

1) Work for a sponsor company.
    The NFL retains between 20 and 25% of the tickets for its own purposes, depending on the number of seats that are available.
    The vast majority of these tickets are given to sponsor companies, who in can distribute them however they see fit (as long as they don't sell them).
    If you are lucky enough to work for one of these companies or for the NFL itself, then you could be in luck!
    Unfortunately the majority of us don't, so we have to look toward other methods.

2. Win the NFL ticket lottery.
    Each year the NFL makes between 1 and 2% of the available tickets available for purchase at face value.
    To be eligible to purchase a ticket, you must have sent in a request between Feb and Jun of the year preceding the Super Bowl.
    If you forgot to send yours in this year, you are out of luck (and you can't say that I didn't tell you in advance!).
    If you did, then you will usually find out in early November if you won or not.
    The face value of tickets for the Super Bowl varies from year to year, but you can expect to spend $1500 - $2000 per ticket, and you are required to purchase two.

3. Win the season ticket holder lottery.
    If you forgot to send in your request, or if you didn't win, don't worry.
    You still have a chance as a season ticket owner.
    The teams that are in the Super Bowl are allotted just under 20% of the available tickets.
    After filling their internal needs, the Vikings make the rest available to the season ticket holders at face value.
    Again, a lotter system is used.
    Each season ticket holder gets one lottery entry per seat times the number of years they have been an owner.
    So this year, I will have ten entries in the lottery (2 seats X 5 year owner = 10 entries).
    Each lottery winner will be allowed to purchase two tickets.
    NOTE: Only season ticket owners who buy their full allotment of playoff tickets are eligible for the super bowl lottery.
    So last year there would have been a LOT of shortsighted ticket owners who were not eligible for the lottery because they didn't purchase tickets.

What?
    You don't have season tickets yet?
    Well, they are still available..

4. Purchase on eBay or some other reseller.
    This is always an option.
    And the economy being what it is, it might not be a bad one.
    You will obviously pay more than face value, but probably not as high as some of the package sales that are available.
    Unfortunately, there is no guarantee when dealing with a reseller, and there were more than one fake Super Bowl tickets discovered the year I went.
    So tread with caution...

5. Purchase from sport package seller.
    These companies purchase as many tickets that they can from season ticket owners or lottery winners (or Mike Tice), and then resell them at a markup.
    The benefit to purchasing from these companies is that the transaction is safer.
    Most of these companies have been in business for years, and are easy to identify as legit.
    The disadvantage is you will typically have to buy a vacation package, which included air fair, and hotel - again at a marked up price.

6. Purchase from the NFL On Location. http://www.nflonlocation.net/superbowl_standard.php Arguably the safest route for purchasing them, this is directly from the NFL.
    This is the ONLY way you can purchase tickets in guaranteed sections.
    You also get some additional perks, depending on the package level you get.
    Currently, packages are starting at $2799 and go all the way up to $9599.
    This is the most expensive option, but hey, at least it is guaranteed!
    And talk about NFL style.

OK, that's it.
    LMK know when you start buying your tickets! ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Thinking about watching the Vikings in Super Bowl XLIV? Get ready to pay...

Paul,

I didn't think the face value was anywhere near $1500-$2000 for a single ticket.
    I thought last year, the face price was between $600 and $800, but I could be wrong.

Here is another option.
    It may be risky, but I am assuming it is legit since you don't see posters on their forums complaining about how they got ripped off.
    It's a website called yoonew.
    It's like a stock exchange, where people buy and sell (trade) futures for tickets to things like the Super Bowl based on either a particular team going, or there being a particular matchup in the game.

https://www.yoonew.com/exchange/

Of course, the downside is that if your team (or team matchup) doesn't come to fruition, the price you paid for your ticket future goes down the drain.
    It's a gamble, but compared to the cost of the average schmuck would have to pay for tickets, it can be a worthwhile one.
    Last season when the Vikings record was 1-3, Vikings futures were dirt cheap...if I recall, somewhere around $39.
    Right this minute, Vikings futures for upper deck SB tickets (sideline tix, between the goal lines) has an asking price of $316.90 per ticket.
    The last trade that was completed went for $252.74, and the current bid (price a willing buyer has offered) is $207.01.
    Too rich for your blood?
    How about gambling on a particular matchup?
    You can purchase futures for a NE-Minnesota matchup for as little as $82.31 per ticket.
    Colts-Vikings is available for as little as $36.96.
    Chargers-Vikings is available for as little as $66.17.
    Steelers-Vikings is available for as low as $66.40.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Blog Entries

"purplepat" wrote:
    Paul,

I didn't think the face value was anywhere near $1500-$2000 for a single ticket.
    I thought last year, the face price was between $600 and $800, but I could be wrong.

Here is another option.
    It may be risky, but I am assuming it is legit since you don't see posters on their forums complaining about how they got ripped off.
    It's a website called yoonew.
    It's like a stock exchange, where people buy and sell (trade) futures for tickets to things like the Super Bowl based on either a particular team going, or there being a particular matchup in the game.

https://www.yoonew.com/exchange/

Of course, the downside is that if your team (or team matchup) doesn't come to fruition, the price you paid for your ticket future goes down the drain.
    It's a gamble, but compared to the cost of the average schmuck would have to pay for tickets, it can be a worthwhile one.
    Last season when the Vikings record was 1-3, Vikings futures were dirt cheap...if I recall, somewhere around $39.
    Right this minute, Vikings futures for upper deck SB tickets (sideline tix, between the goal lines) has an asking price of $316.90 per ticket.
    The last trade that was completed went for $252.74, and the current bid (price a willing buyer has offered) is $207.01.
    Too rich for your blood?
    How about gambling on a particular matchup?
    You can purchase futures for a NE-Minnesota matchup for as little as $82.31 per ticket.
    Colts-Vikings is available for as little as $36.96.
    Chargers-Vikings is available for as little as $66.17.
    Steelers-Vikings is available for as low as $66.40.
    My bad, that was a typo.
    The total invoice price from the NFL was $1480 last year.
    That was for two tickets.
    This year it is expected to be beteen $1500 and $2000 for two tickets.

Ticket Futures are a fairly cool idea.
    I haven't looked into them too much, but I like the idea a lot.
    Thanks for posting that!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Bubba Jed is offline Starter

A good way that I have seen to watch a football game is to work security.
    I worked the Superbowl in Tampa (Ravens and Giants) and I got paid to be there.
    The only thing is though that you risk on not being inside the stadium.
    But nonetheless I still got to go and received some great souveniers.
    The Pack, the Pack, gonna smack the Pack.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Great post Nodak, it's never too early to start planning.
    If I did win the lottery held by the Vikings, would I be able to purchase 4 tickets, as my account has 4 seats in the dome or is everybody limited to 2? Would there be any advantage to forming 2 accounts with someone elses name on 2 of the tickets?

Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    If I did win the lottery held by the Vikings, would I be able to purchase 4 tickets, as my account has 4 seats in the dome or is everybody limited to 2? Would there be any advantage to forming 2 accounts with someone elses name on 2 of the tickets?
    Everybody, regardless of number of season tickets, is limited to 2 super bowl tickets.
    Forming two accounts would give you the ability of winning twice, with the exact same odds to win once.
    You have the exact same number of chances in the lottery (2 seats per account X number of years X 2 accounts = 4 seats X number of years), and there is a possibility of both accounts winning, albeit a pretty remote one.
    I don't know if it would be worth the logistics of maintain two seperate accounts though.
    Plus, if you did win, all four seats likely wouldn't be together.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries

"Bubba" wrote:
    No arguments there, but security rarely gets to really watch the game.
    There are there for a reason.
    Even when you are on the inside (most aren't, they are outside as part of the NFL experience), you are supposed to be watching the crowd.

Still, not a bad way to at least be there.
    Good tip Bubba.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Everybody, regardless of number of season tickets, is limited to 2 super bowl tickets.
    Forming two accounts would give you the ability of winning twice, with the exact same odds to win once.
    You have the exact same number of chances in the lottery (2 seats per account X number of years X 2 accounts = 4 seats X number of years), and there is a possibility of both accounts winning, albeit a pretty remote one.
    I don't know if it would be worth the logistics of maintain two seperate accounts though.
    Plus, if you did win, all four seats likely wouldn't be together.
    I'll mention it to my partners. I was just worried about what happens if we win 2 tickets and all 4 want to go. Probably we'd agree to sell them anyway and split the profit, or someone would not want to pay the money to go.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Bubba" wrote:
    No arguments there, but security rarely gets to really watch the game.
    There are there for a reason.
    Even when you are on the inside (most aren't, they are outside as part of the NFL experience), you are supposed to be watching the crowd.

Still, not a bad way to at least be there.
    Good tip Bubba.
    If you got some skills you could try to get in the halftime show, they always have lots of dancers and people to set up the stage. Not sure where those people are during the game, but if you could walk out on the field during the Superbowl that would be pretty memorable.