Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    El Vikingo's Avatar
    El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,358

    Re: Things are looking great, and they're only going to get better

    "ejmat" wrote:


    1) Shiancoe caught the TD pass
    2) WRs were confident in Gus.

    3)Our stuff were confident in Gus
    El underdog.

  2. #12
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Things are looking great, and they're only going to get better

    I think the biggest thing was that Gus was more aggressive in his throws. The routes may have been the same as in past games, I can't tell if they changed or not.

    But the perception that I came away with was that he was trying to stretch the field more than we have been. If it was 3rd down instead of a pass where the WR had to gain yards after to get the 1st, he was going for passes that were 10-20 yards past the 1st down marker.

    I also though he was placing the ball in a better spot so that the WR could catch and run. But he also had some bad passes. Ones that should have been intercepted. Time will tell if he gets to the point where he eliminates those throws or if they start to come back to haunt us.

  3. #13
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Things are looking great, and they're only going to get better

    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think that the biggest thing we saw out of the Carolina game was an open playbook.
    We had sets that I have never seen from Childress's Vikings.
    AD and CT on the field together.
    A LOT of play action.
    Several deep routes where I would guess Berrian was the called WR, but he was covered and Gus checked down (seriously, he didn't get a lot of separation deep).

    Plus we came out passing, which forced Carolina to decide between putting 8 men in the box to try and stop AD, or keep the secondary honest.


    All in all I thought it was a very good game from the play calling perspective... and I think THAT is what made the biggest difference.
    It furthers my belief that the playbook was thin because of TJack.
    And that could be it too. Bottom line either way is that with Gus in there we are a whole different team.

    A whole different team that scored 13 points and had under 330 yards of offense?
    Wow... that's an interesting way of categorizing "whole different team".
    The only differences I saw were the receivers made a few tough catches (Berrian over the shoulder deep and Rice sliding) and the coaches threw the ball more in the 1st half, especially the 1st quarter.
    If you want to believe putting our back up QB in there "allowed' that go ahead, but that's simply not logical.
    What's more logical is they realized the previous offensive game plans didn't work and in addition to changing QBs, they also changed the way they called the game.
    Don't get me wrong, Gus played fine, but lets not get carried away.
    Actually changing the playbook because the QB changed is completely logical.
    You must take into consideration who you put under center when you are calling plays.
    TJack is more mobile - so he had a lot more called bootlegs.
    Gus is more accurate deep, so he had more deep looks.
    You adjust your scheme to fit the talent, and that is exactly what we saw yesterday.
    With Gus under center, there are parts of the playbook that are opened up because he can execute them better than TJack could, just like there are parts that are closed because he cannot.

    I think that change in the play calling played a major role in our win yesterday.
    The plays that we are limited to with TJack - be it because of lack of ability or simply because of his playing style - do not work well enough for us to win.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #14
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Things are looking great, and they're only going to get better

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think that the biggest thing we saw out of the Carolina game was an open playbook.
    We had sets that I have never seen from Childress's Vikings.
    AD and CT on the field together.
    A LOT of play action.
    Several deep routes where I would guess Berrian was the called WR, but he was covered and Gus checked down (seriously, he didn't get a lot of separation deep).

    Plus we came out passing, which forced Carolina to decide between putting 8 men in the box to try and stop AD, or keep the secondary honest.


    All in all I thought it was a very good game from the play calling perspective... and I think THAT is what made the biggest difference.
    It furthers my belief that the playbook was thin because of TJack.
    And that could be it too. Bottom line either way is that with Gus in there we are a whole different team.

    A whole different team that scored 13 points and had under 330 yards of offense?
    Wow... that's an interesting way of categorizing "whole different team".
    The only differences I saw were the receivers made a few tough catches (Berrian over the shoulder deep and Rice sliding) and the coaches threw the ball more in the 1st half, especially the 1st quarter.
    If you want to believe putting our back up QB in there "allowed' that go ahead, but that's simply not logical.
    What's more logical is they realized the previous offensive game plans didn't work and in addition to changing QBs, they also changed the way they called the game.
    Don't get me wrong, Gus played fine, but lets not get carried away.
    Actually changing the playbook because the QB changed is completely logical.
    You must take into consideration who you put under center when you are calling plays.
    TJack is more mobile - so he had a lot more called bootlegs.
    Gus is more accurate deep, so he had more deep looks.[size=10pt]
    You adjust your scheme to fit the talent,
    [/size]
    and that is exactly what we saw yesterday.
    With Gus under center, there are parts of the playbook that are opened up because he can execute them better than TJack could, just like there are parts that are closed because he cannot.

    I think that change in the play calling played a major role in our win yesterday.
    The plays that we are limited to with TJack - be it because of lack of ability or simply because of his playing style - do not work well enough for us to win.
    Radical thinking. I didn't think that was possible

  5. #15
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,949

    Re: Things are looking great, and they're only going to get better

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think that the biggest thing we saw out of the Carolina game was an open playbook.
    We had sets that I have never seen from Childress's Vikings.
    AD and CT on the field together.
    A LOT of play action.
    Several deep routes where I would guess Berrian was the called WR, but he was covered and Gus checked down (seriously, he didn't get a lot of separation deep).

    Plus we came out passing, which forced Carolina to decide between putting 8 men in the box to try and stop AD, or keep the secondary honest.


    All in all I thought it was a very good game from the play calling perspective... and I think THAT is what made the biggest difference.
    It furthers my belief that the playbook was thin because of TJack.
    And that could be it too. Bottom line either way is that with Gus in there we are a whole different team.

    A whole different team that scored 13 points and had under 330 yards of offense?
    Wow... that's an interesting way of categorizing "whole different team".
    The only differences I saw were the receivers made a few tough catches (Berrian over the shoulder deep and Rice sliding) and the coaches threw the ball more in the 1st half, especially the 1st quarter.
    If you want to believe putting our back up QB in there "allowed' that go ahead, but that's simply not logical.
    What's more logical is they realized the previous offensive game plans didn't work and in addition to changing QBs, they also changed the way they called the game.
    Don't get me wrong, Gus played fine, but lets not get carried away.
    Actually changing the playbook because the QB changed is completely logical.
    You must take into consideration who you put under center when you are calling plays.
    TJack is more mobile - so he had a lot more called bootlegs.
    Gus is more accurate deep, so he had more deep looks.[size=10pt]
    You adjust your scheme to fit the talent,
    [/size]
    and that is exactly what we saw yesterday.
    With Gus under center, there are parts of the playbook that are opened up because he can execute them better than TJack could, just like there are parts that are closed because he cannot.

    I think that change in the play calling played a major role in our win yesterday.
    The plays that we are limited to with TJack - be it because of lack of ability or simply because of his playing style - do not work well enough for us to win.
    Radical thinking. I didn't think that was possible
    I think yall are giving Gus too much credit and not giving TJ enough... the fact of the matter is, we don't know if TJack can make those throws or not!...

    Yes, i'm in support of Gus, but before we benched TJ we should have called a game plan like we did and seen what he could do.. i remember in the Green Bay game we did that and i seem to remember us coming back from 3 scored down to get in position to win the game...

    The fact of the matter is, you can't blame a guy for having crappy comp. % and the losses or boring offense.. TJ doesn't call the games, so when you have a QB that has plays called such as the boring predictable plays we were calling how in the world do you expect a guy to be successful when the defense is sitting on the play bc they know what's coming..

    in addition we had a lot more 2 TE sets giving us less options.. so when you limit the # of receivers to 2 on a given play.. maybe 3 options.. instead of 4 and 5 liike gus had... i can see why TJ wasn't as successful as he should have been..

    Maybe just maybe the confidence TJ lacked was bc of the lack of confidence the coach had in him calling plays...

    it goes both ways.. so for all those Gus crotch sniffers out there.. i'm just saying look at it rationally....

    TJ doesn't call the plays... regardless of confidence in the player.. you have to atleast if he is your starter to call a game to give him the chance to be successful.. our offense was so predictable that i don't think Brady could have been successful in that offense...

    4 receiver sets, twins, 2 backs in the backfield, Chester going out on a pattern and sitting under the zoneetc. etc.. we never saw that with TJ in the game.... maybe it was confidence or what not, but the fact is we don't know how he would have performed had Bevell called a game that way.... I think he more than likely would have turned in a better performance if not equivalent to what Gus did...

    i do see a difference in the attitude or swagger of the team.. but that was also probably due to the game plan/play book being more open.. you get excited..

    it's like eating chicken everyday.. of course your team is gonna be tired of the same ole boring play book... chiken every day??? daaaam.. so when your mom fixes steak for once.. you get a hard on!!!!...

    it's no different!!!


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Bud Grant Said, "You need 3 things to be a great coach"
    By MaxVike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 11:15 AM
  2. Top 5 things
    By Bretto in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 12-09-2006, 12:43 PM
  3. Great things for Saturday Game!
    By FedjeViking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-19-2006, 05:30 PM
  4. Hopefully things go our way
    By TMAC604 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 04:29 PM
  5. Things you didn't know you didn't know
    By cc21 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 04:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •