Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

They say the players all like Tice.Is this good?

Your all making good points.But let me interject here we are not talking really about long ago! Parcells and bellichec(damn how do you spell that guys last name) are still coaching... :salute:
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

i wouldnt consider billichecks coaching strategy to be old school. parcells isnt looking too hot right now though.

LOL boy even da*# gets censored in here!! gol darn it.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

Re: They say the players all like Tice.Is this good?

"Paulbedy59" wrote:
    Yep,they say he is a players coach,well liked ,popular,and all that.But the more I think about it all the really winning coaches are hated by the players.At least until they win one or two championships...Even Scotty Bowman of my beloved Red Wings was hated and hell he was the best ever!! Your thoughts?
    scottie bowman is not the best ever thats a joke. jaque lemaire is better than scotty bowman, bowman didn't build teams from nothing and win the cup like lemire has.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

lets see how many cups does bowman have.hmmm 5 or 6 ,and with 3 teams too.not to deny lemaire his due but lets be real here.. :salute:

"vikes09" wrote:
    i know but football has changed alot. do old football ways still work today??? i think jon gibbs is proof the game has dramatically changed. just my opinion
    that's true. today's football is all about ME ME ME...and MONEY. Most players don't give a $hit about anything but themselves and their money. They're greedy...turning down $24 million dollars for playing 6 years of football, give me a frickin' break!
    "We are Lions!!" - Achilles (from the movie Troy )

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

I still liken Mike Tice to Ray Rhodes. Supposedly all gruff and disciplinary, but a "player's coach".

Ray Rhodes pulled that facade in Philly, and they ran him out of town. GB hired him, and he lasted a year. Why?

Mike Holmgren, Vince Lombardi, Bud Grant, Don Shula....would you imagine any of these coaches sitting in the locker room playing dominos with the players. Day after day?

Would you imagine Brian Billick, Tom Landry, or Chuck Noll referring to his resident malcontnet as "Yo, dawg.."?

You can't command respect when you're trying to be their buddy. Every coach I mentioned had a clearly defined line between coach and player. Tice crosses it too often, and then the chair-throwing doesn't bring it back. If your buddy throws a chair in a mad fit, do you care? But if your boss does, you stand at attention.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

i do think there is aline there that if crossed makes a player TOO comfortable.

vikingsdiva is offline Pro-Bowler

Okay I used this about three weeks ago on a thread about Randy. Remember when Red said he almost fired Tice to motivate Moss? Well I truly believe coach Tice's hands were tied. Tice pleaded with the NFL to fine the snot out of Campbell, but did nothing publicly to condemn Moss' behavior. I feel Tice's hands were tied as a coach. I love Moss, but he was MCComb's baby because he was a money making player. If Tice would do anything to Moss, who knows if he would've had a job? Plus did he really make a friend of Hovan this year? Face it without Red, Tice will be a better coach. Fearsome even. He just needs the oppurtunity.
    Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.
    --Joe Theismann

sabatajh is offline Rookie

I think there has to be a balance. Tice is a players coach. This term is funny because whats the oppisite. I think tice has a coaching style that mirrors his personality he is a laid back person, i think if he went into a locker room furious and ranting he wouldn't convey the message effectivley because it is out of character. I believe tice is a good coach, his biggest problem in my opinion is game managment which comes with expierence. I look at it like this. I dont care how good , mean, nice, a coach is if your staff ie: coordinators player personell dramatically changes every year it makes it hard to coach effectivley.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123