Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

They said it & Who's hot & who's not: Thur. & Fri. edition

Posted on Thu, Aug. 10, 2006

[size=18px]THEY SAID IT[/size]
    WEDNESDAY'S HIGHLIGHT

If it were put to a vote of the players, coach Brad Childress' decision to cancel the afternoon practice would win in a landslide.

Who are we to argue?

After another physical, full-pads morning session in which three players walked off the field with injuries, the Vikings needed a break, and an afternoon off could be just what the doctor ordered.

WHO'S HOT

The morning practice featured some nice interceptions, including one by safety Willie Offord on a carom off tight end Jermaine Wiggins.

Rookie linebacker Kyle McKenzie and cornerback Dustin Fox had the other picks, and blocking tight end Jim Kleinsasser made a pretty fingertip grab of a pass from J.T. O'Sullivan.

WHO'S NOT

Rookie Ryan Cook continues to struggle at right tackle, getting pushed around in a one-on-one blocking drill by rookie defensive end Jayme Mitchell.

Cook, listed as the No. 2 right tackle behind Marcus Johnson and the No. 3 center behind Matt Birk and Jason Whittle, was selected with a second-round draft choice the Vikings acquired from Miami for quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

WHO'S HURT

• Offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie left practice early with a partial fracture in his left hand but said he would return today.

• Running back Ciatrick Fason suffered a concussion, and it's uncertain how much time he will miss.

• Wide receiver Marcus Robinson sat out most of practice after suffering a minor neck injury.

• Safety Darren Sharper (hamstring) sat out all but the early portion of practice, and defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said he is day to day.

• Wide receiver Koren Robinson sat out all but the early portion of practice to rest a sore right calf.

THEY SAID IT

"It's beautiful. I'm about to eat and just relax. It's nice when they throw you a bone."

— Cornerback Antoine Winfield, on the coaches' decision to cancel the afternoon practice

— Sean Jensen, Don Seeholzer

THEY SAID IT

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Vikings: They said it & Who's hot & who's not

Brad is a work horse sounds like. Good, fantastic.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

• Offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie left practice early with a partial fracture in his left hand but said he would return today.

Bryant was on Huddle Up on FSN North last night and the segment was taped in the afternoon after the morning practice (the host asked him how nice it was to have the afternoon off), he had no bandages or tape on either of his hands and looked to be completely fine.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Rookie Ryan Cook continues to struggle at right tackle, getting pushed around in a one-on-one blocking drill by rookie defensive end Jayme Mitchell.

I hate to hear that one of our top picks is getting pushed around by a rookie DE.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Cook is struggling, but he is also learning a new position, so that's to be expected.

However, given the fact that he is our #2 right tackle, it does worry me a little.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Some good, some not so good news.. I like the fact that McKinney is not going o miss any playing time.. These starters on the O-Line need to gel before the season starts..

I know it is expected that the rookie Ryan Cook is taking some time to learn a new position, but with him being the new #2 behind Johnson, that tends to scare me a little.. So what are they saying, that if Johnson goes down, that we are screwed?

I also like that all of the injuries that have happened aren't that serious.. The Vikings have taken some blows when it comes to starting players, and injuries.. I just hope everyone is healthy come the start of the season..

oakmage is offline Starter

(knock on wood) I am just hoping that we are getting rid of the injuries now and not have them during the regular season

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Would it be wrong to knock the pre-season games from four to two, just to prevent injuries?

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Honestly, if they threw Cook in there and he blew it, you'd see Rosenthal there before Childress' foot could hit his ass.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

I don't like how we've had some concussion, fason and greenway... head injuries scare me. And Mckinnie should miss some time, he can't break that hand worse. That'd put him out for longer.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast