Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

There's one big reason Vikings are better

[size=18px]There's one big reason Vikings are better[/size]

Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 27, 2005 at 10:42 PM

The most valuable player for the 2005 Vikings is pretty easy to find. Just look for Pat Williams, the 320-pound monster in the middle of the defensive line.

Pat Williams was asked if he had an explanation for Buffalo's decision to allow him to hit the free-agent market after last season.

"They are dumb," he said. "That's all I can say. They are dumb as can be up there."

Williams' comment was passed along to Matt Birk, the injured Vikings center, as he walked through the Metrodome's home locker room after Sunday's 24-12 victory over Cleveland.

"He's right," Birk said. "Letting Pat Williams go ... that's a dumb decision.

"When I was asked last spring which of the defensive players brought in would have the most impact, I said, 'Pat Williams.' I said that without hesitation.

"Basically, you can't run the ball when he's in there. It takes two guys to block him and, often, that's not enough. Pat Williams is a man."

Williams was so manly on Sunday that it had no impact on the Vikings' defensive surge when his partner at tackle, Kevin Williams, limped off with a sprained knee midway through the first quarter.

Rookie C.J. Mosley entered and went along for the ride on P. Williams' giant shoulders.

Mosley's line was seven tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble. If he had been around a year earlier and rushed into duty to play alongside another veteran tackle, namely Chris Hovan, Mosley might have been looking at a statistical shutout.

That's the dominance with which Pat Williams played Sunday -- and with which he has played for at least a month.

Mosley was asked about the attention Williams was drawing from the Browns on Sunday.

"The way he talks, he asks for a lot of attention, but the other team can't do anything about it," Mosley said. "Pat tells them what he's going to do, and then he does it."

The rookie shook his head in wonder and said: "The other team tried to single-team him most of the time today. That's outrageous to me, that you can think one guy's going to block a 320-pound monster."

Williams finished with seven tackles. The best example of his influence on Mosley's big day came in the middle of the third quarter.

The Vikings had taken a 17-3 lead, and then Joshua Cribbs' 48-yard kickoff return gave the Browns a breath of life. They gained 10, 14 and 13 yards on the next three plays.

On first down from the Vikings 15, Williams stormed instantly into the backfield. Trent Dilfer ducked and was corralled by Mosley, as he arrived in the pocket a couple of steps after Williams.

The sack for a loss of 7 yards wound up forcing Cleveland into a field goal. It was clear then there would be no comeback for the Browns against the Vikings' enlivened defense.

Williams was asked how he was able to get past the alleged blockers with such haste. "I jumped the count," he said. "I always jump the count."

And how does a gentleman of your size do that without being caught offside two or three times every game?

"I have my system, but I keep everything to myself," he said. "I'm not telling my secrets."

Williams turned 33 in October. The Metrodome would not seem conducive for a huge man to stay on the field for virtually every defensive snap, as did Williams against the Browns.

The reason is our beloved Dome might be the hottest place to play football in the world. How do you handle the humid, suffocating air in this place, Mr. Williams?

"I don't notice it," he said. "It's Sunday. On Sunday, I go full tilt every play. As I always say, 'I work during the week, and I have fun on Sunday.' "

The Vikings have stuck their Purple helmets above .500 with this four-game winning streak. The improbable turnaround has been based on a defensive revival, and Williams has been the centerpiece of that revival.

That makes the nose tackle the landslide leader to be the Vikings' MVP (not defensive -- team's) with five games remaining on the schedule.

"Pat has played extremely aggressive football for us," coach Mike Tice said. "He takes it personally when they try to single-block him with the center. He jumps things very well, and makes a lot of plays in the run. Today, he even got a little pressure on the pass rush.

"He was called to duty for a few more plays today, due to the injury to Kevin. He rose to the challenge."

Williams brings more than tremendous performance.

No athletic team in history has needed a few personalities to rally around more than the 2005 Vikings -- with their injuries and with their embarrassments on land and on water. No one does more to promote a favorable attitude in the locker room than Williams.

"He's a good leader for us," Tice said. "He's quite a character ... a lot of fun to be around."

Williams insists his real fun arrives Sundays. The guy who had the best time being around him this time was young Mosley, happy to be a passenger on Big Pat's Thrill Ride.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Re: There's one big reason Vikings are better

I really like watching Pat. If he can keep everyone agressive and on the same page, then more power to him.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

Yea that guy is always in the backfeild

KNOCK EM BACK, PAT!!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

he's my new fav player

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

This defense just looks more aggresive and a lot more ball crazy then they were at the beginning of the season. I love seeing them change the plays at the line of scrimmage, they really give an offensive line a lot of headaches.

It is fun to watch the defense on the field these days, cause the last number of years it was a matter of when they'll score not if they'll score! Big Pat is just a joy to watch, he so quick and on the ball every play, it is actually quite amazing, as the opposing team knows this and they cannot stop the man.

It is truly a joy to watch this club now, I get a good feeling that our defense has really turned a corner. Another nice thing about yesteday was the offense and it's ability to move the ball, I wonder where we would be had we noot started so slow, oh well week to week right, we still have a chance and a much better chance then I thouhgt we'd have had 4 weeks ago!!

Skol Vikings

Cheers!

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

i think it has to do with attitude more than one single player. this entire defense has been playing with a lot more attitude here lately and they've been getting turnovevers because of it. i love p-will but i gotta give props to the entire defense they're making plays too.

Thanks Josdin

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

You can tell the Vikes D is getting better. Everyone in my fantasy leauges are trying to pick them up. :thumbright:
    I.B.O.T. #213

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

I am loving the team we have and really think they are starting to gel and put it all together. Anyone know how many of defensive players are free agents at the end of the year? All I can think of is Chaveous and B-Will off the top of my head...is there anyone else?

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Both Sam Cowart and Keith Newman are free agents as well we should keep Newman I don't know if we should keep Cowart.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Del Rio Guest

Cowart has a nose for the ball. He just doesn't seem to be the field general I would like to see at MLB.

I think if we had to choose one you HAVE to keep Newman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast