Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    minnesota is offline Rookie

Re: Is There Help Out There For Our Kicking Game?

"Nephilim" wrote:
    longwell has missed three field goals and we want to replace him? am i geting this? ???
    YES

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I really thought coming into this year our biggest weakness was gonna be pressure from our front 4, specifically, our DE's.
    Unfortunately or fortunately that isn't the case.

In fact, my biggest concern isn't our DE's or our young QB or even our OL (Right Side) but rather it is our Kicker.

Here is what we gave up on kickoffs during our first 3 pre-season games.

Against the Rams
    KICKOFFS (Number-In End Zone-Touchbacks) 3 - 0 - 0-75
    Against the Jets
    KICKOFFS (Number-In End Zone-Touchbacks-Yards) 7 - 1 - 0-167
    Against the Seahawks
    KICKOFFS (Number-In End Zone-Touchbacks-Yards) 4 - 1 - 0-106
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxsco...2007&week=PRE1

In my minds eye, it isn't the fact that we aren't tackling (although there are a couple of instances
    ;D) but more along the lines of we aren't getting the ball deep enough, with enough hang time so that our guys can get down, bust the wedge and fill the running lanes.

Well with that in mind I started looking at the other teams to see who they had on thier rosters that might become available as cut down starts.
    Let me tell you, very few teams have 2 Kickers on thier roster. Infact, more teams carry 2 punters than there are that carry 2 kickers in pre-season.

Here is what I found (bolded possible candidates):

Dallas
    Nick Folk K 6-1 225
    Martin Gramatica K 5-8 175
    Bears
    Robbie Gould K 6-1 181
    Nick Novak K 6-0 189
    Green Bay
    Mason Crosby K 6-1 212 R
    David Lonie K 6-5 210
    Dave Rayner K 6-2 210
    Denver
    Jason Elam K 5-11 200
    Paul Ernster K 6-0 217

Jacksonville
    Aaron Elling K 6-0 201
    Josh Scobee K 6-1 190
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams

A few of them are pretty interesting (i.e. Folk) but when you look at who he is competing against (Gramatica) you wonder if he will beat out the vet.

Another issue that needs to be addressed, would be centered around the fact that the Vikes, because of competition at WR, OL, DE, CB, S etc, probably won't want to waste a much needed roster spot on an extra kicker for kickoffs as well as one that can do PAT/Extra Points and a punter as well.

Anybody know anything about any of these guys, other than the starters we all know? Any of you college homers know of someone from your college favorite that didn't get drafted that might be out there?

I'm looking for a mix of a guy that can either K/P (Keeping Longwell for PAT/EP's) or a K that can do KO/PAT/EP's (Keeping Kluwe as P)?
    have you looked at it from the angle that it is preseason and Childress may just be running a vanilla ST scheme so as not to give our opponents something to go on? Once the season starts the kicks will be deeper, straighter and the tackles will be crisper.

Don't fear my friend, Chilly knows what he is doing. They will be fine

Blog Entries

I think there is a guy named Mike Vanderjagt sitting at home waiting for a call if you need someone

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I have no bone to pick with Longwell. He's missed a couple but he's hit the longer ones. Maybe not enough concentration or bad snaps or holds.
    BUT
    what I do have trouble with is his kickoff length. I've mentioned this before but giving a team an automatic 10 to 15 extra yards per kickoff is not smart football. There were several articles even before the draft that Childress was looking for a guy who could kick off long and also be the punter. He didn't find one so hence we are in deep crap. Ever since Kluwe had his hurt "hammy" he hasn't been punting the way he did his first season.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I would take Nick Folk from Dallas in a flash if he is released. But I think he will beat out Gramma.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I really thought coming into this year our biggest weakness was gonna be pressure from our front 4, specifically, our DE's.

In fact, my biggest concern isn't our DE's or our young QB or even our OL (Right Side) but rather it is our Kicker.

Against the Rams
    Against the Jets
    Against the Seahawks

In my minds eye, it isn't the fact that we aren't tackling (although there are a couple of instances
    ;D) but more along the lines of we aren't getting the ball deep enough, with enough hang time so that our guys can get down, bust the wedge and fill the running lanes.

Well with that in mind I started looking at the other teams to see who they had on thier rosters that might become available as cut down starts.
    Let me tell you, very few teams have 2 Kickers on thier roster. Infact, more teams carry 2 punters than there are that carry 2 kickers in pre-season.

Dallas
    Nick Folk K 6-1 225
    Bears
    Robbie Gould K 6-1 181
    Nick Novak K 6-0 189
    Green Bay
    Mason Crosby K 6-1 212 R
    David Lonie K 6-5 210
    Dave Rayner K 6-2 210
    Denver
    Jason Elam K 5-11 200
    Paul Ernster K 6-0 217

Jacksonville
    Aaron Elling K 6-0 201
    Josh Scobee K 6-1 190

A few of them are pretty interesting (i.e. Folk) but when you look at who he is competing against (Gramatica) you wonder if he will beat out the vet.

Another issue that needs to be addressed, would be centered around the fact that the Vikes, because of competition at WR, OL, DE, CB, S etc, probably won't want to waste a much needed roster spot on an extra kicker for kickoffs as well as one that can do PAT/Extra Points and a punter as well.

Anybody know anything about any of these guys, other than the starters we all know? Any of you college homers know of someone from your college favorite that didn't get drafted that might be out there?

I'm looking for a mix of a guy that can either K/P (Keeping Longwell for PAT/EP's) or a K that can do KO/PAT/EP's (Keeping Kluwe as P)?
    have you looked at it from the angle that it is preseason and Childress may just be running a vanilla ST scheme so as not to give our opponents something to go on? Once the season starts the kicks will be deeper, straighter and the tackles will be crisper.

I'm not so sure my friend.
    I mean I can see disguising plays that will be run on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, but damn, we are only talking about kicking the ball real deep and with a bit of hang time.

What would you want to hide on that?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I think there is a guy named Mike Vanderjagt sitting at home waiting for a call if you need someone
    Thats right, I don't think he has landed anyplace after the Tuna drop kicked his butt to the curb.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Against the Rams
    Against the Jets
    Against the Seahawks

Dallas
    Nick Folk K 6-1 225
    Bears
    Robbie Gould K 6-1 181
    Nick Novak K 6-0 189
    Green Bay
    Mason Crosby K 6-1 212 R
    David Lonie K 6-5 210
    Dave Rayner K 6-2 210
    Denver
    Jason Elam K 5-11 200
    Paul Ernster K 6-0 217

Jacksonville
    Aaron Elling K 6-0 201
    Josh Scobee K 6-1 190

I'm not so sure my friend.
    I mean I can see disguising plays that will be run on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, but damn, we are only talking about kicking the ball real deep and with a bit of hang time.

What would you want to hide on that?
    Hell, I don't know, I just cut and pasted your standard answer and it looked like it fit lol ;D

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Don't remember where I read it but just recently on either Fox, CBS, NFL, or ESPN there was a piece about Green Bay having to cut a kicker from their field of three and they were talking about what a hard decision it will be because they all are "boomers" on kickoffs.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Thats right, I don't think he has landed anyplace after the Tuna drop kicked his butt to the curb.

;D
    I would rather have Shortwell than Vanderchoke. There is a good reason the Tuna had to bring back Gramatica.
    One of the big betting sites has a premise that a kicker that can kick touchbacks is more valuable than a kicker who is short but accurate. They had some statistical justification for their premise. Not sure if it is true. But it is interesting.
    Never the less, I think we are stuck with Shortwell who has more distance and less accuracy so far this year.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast