Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I watch my friend Singer take a lot of crap on this site, and sometimes I'm the one slinging it at him. But he was the first one to figure it out as far as I recall; there is no up side to Ponder.
    It's over for him here. He would be a good back up if it weren't for the fact we already have a better back up in Cassel.
    Sorry Ponder, you squandered your golden opportunity. It's time to move on.
    I don't recall giving Singer a whole lot of crap myself, in fact I find myself agreeing with him on most issues. Maybe he realized Ponder was a bust before I had, but I reached that point early last year. I think the Colts game was when I started getting the bust feeling. Watching him go head to head with Luck made it clear. Yeah he's had his moments, but they've been too few and too far between. Ponder is just too damn slow at everything and you're not going to fix it with more time.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    I don't recall giving Singer a whole lot of crap myself, in fact I find myself agreeing with him on most issues. Maybe he realized Ponder was a bust before I had, but I reached that point early last year. I think the Colts game was when I started getting the bust feeling. Watching him go head to head with Luck made it clear. Yeah he's had his moments, but they've been too few and too far between. Ponder is just too damn slow at everything and you're not going to fix it with more time.
    For sure, you were one of the earliest, if not the first, here to see it. Most of us thought Ponder needed time and experience to develop. Some still believe that !
    Time is up.
    Like a lot of stocks I have owned, there is no growth !

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Checkout his wife, that would give me a massive upside.
    Maybe its yogur chance ,knowing Ponder im pretty sure she is still a virgin.
    El underdog.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    As they say, if you throw a hundred darts, you are bound to hit a bullseye once in a while.

In the case of Ponder, I understood he was inexperienced and would not likely do well his first few seasons. Quarterbacks often make mental mistakes, make bad reads, and have to get up to NFL speed. With Ponder, it was more than that.

Last season, Ponder was exposed. His inability to hit moving targets, deep targets, or sideline targets was more than just inexperience; it was fundamental. Ponder's slow release and soft touch on every throw made him easy to read and recover by defenders. Combined with inexperience and his need to see an open receiver, rather than anticipate one, Ponder had to be viewed as a long term project at best and maybe a bust in the NFL.
    Very well written, I found myself agreeing with everything you said. I highlighted what I think made the most difference, and I would only add that he tried too hard to make the "perfect" pass, making the throws late and off target. Your overall view is at this time the death-nail in his tenure with the Vikings. It now seems like its between Cassel or Freeman going forward, and thank God.

Stick a fork in Ponder...he is done (FINALLY!!!).
    Last edited by drewlovs; 10-11-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Not even bacon can make Ponder better.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Not even bacon can make Ponder better.
    LOL

That's funny and sad at the same time cause its true

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    ... I would only add that he tried too hard to make the "perfect" pass, making the throws late and off target.
    I agree, the perfect touch pass to receivers that were already open. In the NFL, a quarterback must anticipate a receiver being open because receivers that look open are often covered by the time the ball arrives, and receivers that look covered still have a break or cut in their pattern. Reads are so important, and Ponder has a difficulty in that area.

Some of that comes with experience, but I did not see improvement from one season to the next, and the Vikings coaches did not think that Ponder needed any preseason experience to help him along. Perhaps the coaches believed more game time in the preseason would expose him more than help him.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678