Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Lol dude? You were defending Ponder all day in game chat.
    I was. but that was just because he was taking blame for everything that was going wrong. I recall someone even mentioning that we had the lead twice in the second half and gave it up both times, then blamed it on Ponder. How does Ponder, who runs the offense get no credit for getting a lead, and take the blame for the defense giving up the lead?
    I have been hoping above all else that this was his year. He made some really nice plays today. Unfortunately, He did not make any plays when it was most important. And really didn't handle the pressure well. Up until this year, he has been good on third down and in the red zone. How did he lose that? I also remember that when he first got here he was good at the fake on play action, That disappeared also, He wasn't as bad at that today, but somehow that has been coached out of him. In any case, I have lost faith that he will be turning the corner this year.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Ponder did not have an overly poor game. He was not crisp, and I do not know if he ever will be, but he did hit open receivers. His line, especially the right side, failed him miserably. We are not talking a one whiff effort; we are talking Pamplona bad.
    They did crap all over themselves. I just have lost faith in CP turning it around. I am not seeing the progression I expected in him. We do not have a good enough team to carry him as long as the Giants had to carry Eli before he finally became a top QB.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    They did crap all over themselves. I just have lost faith in CP turning it around. I am not seeing the progression I expected in him. We do not have a good enough team to carry him as long as the Giants had to carry Eli before he finally became a top QB.
    I lost faith in Ponder last season. He just could not hit a moving target deeper than 12 yards, and his mechanics is so slow. If you have the game taped, watch Ponder throw, then watch Tom Brady throw on the halftime highlights. Brady looks like he is in fast motion compared to Ponder, and it is all mechanics. I do not see how Ponder can improve that at this point in his career.

Ponder did play well enough to get this win, but his line and the running backs failed him while blocking. I am sure the receivers would like the ball to come in on the numbers at least once or twice each game, which Ponder cannot do consistently for some reason, but Christian did find some open guys, and that is better than check downs on every play.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I was. but that was just because he was taking blame for everything that was going wrong. I recall someone even mentioning that we had the lead twice in the second half and gave it up both times, then blamed it on Ponder. How does Ponder, who runs the offense get no credit for getting a lead, and take the blame for the defense giving up the lead?
    I don't remember who said that, but Ponder gets partial blame for not sustaining drives or building on the lead. The Browns can't retake the lead if we weren't going 3 n out.

But I said something along the lines that we had the ball twice in the 4th quarter with a 3 point lead and went 3 n out both times. 8:39 remaining, 3 point lead, 3 n out. 4:22 remaining, 3 point lead, 3 n out. It's like we were daring them to beat us. Like the Bears game, if we drive down and score a TD or even keep the sticks moving on that last drive, we probably don't need to rely on the defense to make a game winning stop.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    If you have the game taped, watch Ponder throw, then watch Tom Brady throw on the halftime highlights. Brady looks like he is in fast motion compared to Ponder, and it is all mechanics. I do not see how Ponder can improve that at this point in his career.
    You don't even need to watch Brady, just compare Ponder to Hoyer. Hoyer was getting rid of the ball faster than Ponder too. Hoyer was finding the open guy, Hoyer was hitting the open guy in stride, and Hoyer was putting the ball on target. How many times in the last 3 games did you hear the announcer say "if Ponder hit him in stride" or "Ponder didn't see the open receiver" or "Ponder was late on that throw". I didn't hear them saying those things about the other 3 QB's we played.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Ponder needs to go, but he is not resposible for all of our troubles. We could also be 3-0 or 2-1 if circumstances around him were different.. Running game is not working, defense is playing terrible and special teams who maybe was our biggest strength has become a weakness..

There is something terribly wrong with this football team this season.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    Ponder needs to go, but he is not resposible for all of our troubles. We could also be 3-0 or 2-1 if circumstances around him were different.. Running game is not working, defense is playing terrible and special teams who maybe was our biggest strength has become a weakness.
    Why is the quarterback so important? He is the only player that touches the ball on every offensive snap. The offense flows through him, and he dictates the tone of the defense.

If Ponder was an on target passer, if he got the ball out more quickly, if his reads and progression were better and quicker, the Vikings would do better with their blocking scheme, the run game would open up, and the defense would not be exposed so often. While it is a valid point that other parts of the team have played poorly, the key is the quarterback. The value of a great quarterback cannot be underestimated.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you that the QB is the most important player and Ponder has not delivered. The right move here is proberly to move to Cassel but i really don't know if things will change because of that. If the offensive line can't run or pass block we can't get the running game going.. And the passing game is what it is.. Especially with the playcalling in mind.

I actually thought Musgrave did a good job last year getting creative with Harvin and Later with Wright, but right now it is as vanilla as it can be. If every first down is a play-action pass, NFL defense will figure it out.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    Let's get back to the original point... for those of you who think Ponder should not be cut immediately, what is the up side we can expect IN Minnesota?

What I really want to know is, what the HELL does the coaching staff see potentially in Ponder that they expect will develop with more time? And how much time do they expect it will take??? He has been given a HUGE leech, and has not shown anything special to this point.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out what they expect/ed to see...

Is there ANY upside to Ponder?

Never was never will be
    FACT
    None

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast