Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Here is the litmus test I used when Manning was considering what team to go to... how would the Viking's offense look with Manning or Brady, ceteris paribus? If everything is exactly the same except for the QB, what does our team's future look like?

THAT, more than anything else, tells me Ponder needs to go. If he were to shake off this numbness he seems to ooze next week, I would be the first to say I was wrong and be supportive. I am a fan, and just want my team to be GOOD!

But...does anyone here think that is going to happen?
    That's pretty much what I've been saying for awhile now. People were always saying TJack had a bad line and bad receivers, then Favre stepped in and put up MVP like numbers with basically the same line and receivers. Now it's the same thing with Ponder except fewer people are on the Ponder bandwagon. I'm not saying Ponder needs to play like a Manning or Brady, but it's unacceptable that he's playing like a Gabbert or Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    What have you been reading????? Every thread here becomes a Ponder sucks, Ponder has to go. If a thread were started about puppies, somehow it would become a ponder sucks thread.
    I nominate this for a best good point of the year award haha. And boy does Ponder suck.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    So, now, back to our starting QB of the moment and our 0-2 start. First off, on that last 3rd and goal, knowing we needed more that a 6 point lead, I was thinking fake the handoff to Peterson and roll Ponder out to his right with Rudolf or the FB in the back corner...with the attention they have to give AP up the middle, they likely can't cover both Ponder rushing for the near corner and Rudolf's jump ball at the same time, we just have to trust that CP makes the right decision to get the score. Rushing straight up vs. that D, even with AP? A lil too vanilla and predictable, sorry Musgrave, but I think you need to try harder than that.
    That was pretty much my thinking on that play/drive. I heard somewhere that Ponder didn't have an option to check to pass on the 3rd down play because they wanted to run the clock, which is disturbing. We only had 1 receiver on the field and the Bears had 10 in the "box". All 10 immediately reacted to the hand-off, so that tells me a PA roll out to the right would have been wide open for essentially a game clinching TD. But nope, once again we ran right into the defenses strength, and once again we played not to lose and we lost.

But Reusse summed it up nicely, "Ponder found his rhythm in Chicago, then the rug was pulled".

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post

Ponder's performance? Absolutely terrible for the first 3 halves of the year! But, that last half of last week's game at the Bears he finally showed some accuracy and touch on some passes that was impressive as hel
    Except on that 2nd down pass play before we kicked our last FG. Bad pass to Rudolph.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    That was pretty much my thinking on that play/drive. I heard somewhere that Ponder didn't have an option to check to pass on the 3rd down play because they wanted to run the clock, which is disturbing. We only had 1 receiver on the field and the Bears had 10 in the "box". All 10 immediately reacted to the hand-off, so that tells me a PA roll out to the right would have been wide open for essentially a game clinching TD. But nope, once again we ran right into the defenses strength, and once again we played not to lose and we lost.

But Reusse summed it up nicely, "Ponder found his rhythm in Chicago, then the rug was pulled".
    Considering Ponder had just thrown a bad pass to Rudolph in the endzone on the prior play which would have given us 6 points & the fact that Ponder has thrown an INT once in every 13 attempts I can see their logic as to why they elected to keep it on the ground.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    People forget that it was a 3 point game. Y

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    People forget it was a 3 point game. You absolutely have to have some points. You can't afford a turn over. You put the ball in the hands of your best player. Those people clamoring for Ponder to throw the ball, would be the same ones crying why didn't we hand it off to Peterson had Ponder missed the throw or worst, thrown an int.

Not only were we trying to bleed the clock but we were trying to use their timeouts. A better question would be "why did we throw on 2nd down?". We were trying to run the clock and the 2nd down incomplete pass stopped the clock. We could have given them the ball back with 1:30 on the clock instead.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame
    To the TS question ..Yes there is.

samantha-steele-1.jpg

P.S. is this place desert or something?
    Last edited by El Vikingo; 09-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    El underdog.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    First off, welcome to the site. Keep posting with fervor.

That is what I responded to, and my response was correct. If you read many threads here you will see that.
    I am suggesting that there are other things to talk about with the Vikings. Unfortunately, any thread about any player that gets any legs inevitably ends up the same, Ponder sucks.
    Not sure if you are aware or not, but Ponder has not played here for three years. He has been with the team for two full seasons and two games. He didn't start for the first 5 or 6 games 2 years ago. I go back to Drew Brees. He was the same as Ponder after two years. Same hatred from the fans there also. The team even gave up on him and drafted another QB in the first round after his second season.He turned out pretty good.
    That said,I am a little disappointed also. Although there is progression in his development, it is not as big a jump as I expected this year. Cleveland will make him look better. I am still holding out hope that it will click. If not, we may have to salvage the season with Cassel if it's not too late.
    Again, welcome
    Perhaps I should have said "Ponder is on his third year" to be more accurate. And for the record, you and I are not disagreeing on all that much, really. Perhaps I don't have the experience here to know how rough it has been for Ponder, but I do have experience with fan bases for other teams... they are a LOT worst. You should have SEEN the revolt the niner fans had for Steve Young the year they won the Super Bowl. They lost early in the season to the eagles, and lynch mobs were forming. The year the niners won it all!!

THAT'S what I was comparing the fans here to...

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    People forget it was a 3 point game. You absolutely have to have some points. You can't afford a turn over. You put the ball in the hands of your best player. Those people clamoring for Ponder to throw the ball, would be the same ones crying why didn't we hand it off to Peterson had Ponder missed the throw or worst, thrown an int.

Not only were we trying to bleed the clock but we were trying to use their timeouts. A better question would be "why did we throw on 2nd down?". We were trying to run the clock and the 2nd down incomplete pass stopped the clock. We could have given them the ball back with 1:30 on the clock instead.
    I was expecting 4 (yes FOUR, 3 points didn't really give us anything, and if we were stopped on the one, there would be NO Hester return) AD runs. 4 chances to make it a 2 score lead, which would have secured the victory. Either way, 4 runs would have removed all of the bears time outs, and ran the clock down to almost nothing, whether we scored or not.

The FG was safer, but set the stage for Cutler... was anyone surprised about the outcome?

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Perhaps I should have said "Ponder is on his third year" to be more accurate. And for the record, you and I are not disagreeing on all that much, really. Perhaps I don't have the experience here to know how rough it has been for Ponder, but I do have experience with fan bases for other teams... they are a LOT worst. You should have SEEN the revolt the niner fans had for Steve Young the year they won the Super Bowl. They lost early in the season to the eagles, and lynch mobs were forming. The year the niners won it all!!

THAT'S what I was comparing the fans here to...
    hah. I remember the fans in NY screaming for coughlins head early one season that they ended up winning the super bowl.
    I also remember the fans on a Packer site wanting McCarthy lynched a few years back.
    Heard this morning some in Pittsburg are calling for Tomlins firing.
    Shows what we fans know. Yet we all are 100% convinced we are right. Myself included.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast