Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach

Is there ANY upside to Ponder?

I've been listening to what little there is out there I can hear/read in Oregon, and I cannot figure out why Ponder remains the best play as QB in the eyes of the coaching staff.

I've never seen a QB with as much experience as Ponder has as the starter keep his job in view of all the mistakes he makes continually...the staring down of receivers ALONE would get him pulled from most squads. A rookie QB would get the benefit of the doubt, but not a 3rd year Vet.

What am I missing? Is there some positive attributes Ponder has or has shown that I am missing? I'm all for "upside", but I'd like to HEAR what it/they is/are.

For all you Vikings junkies who live in areas where you CAN get news all day everyday... are they talking about what they hope/expect?

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    I think the desire to keep Ponder as our starting QB centers around Rick Spielman. He has said in the past that he believes it takes 3 years to determine whether or not a QB is good starting material. However, look at all the QB's that started from Day 1 (e.g. Russell Wilson) and were very good QB's from the start. I think that many of us fans believe that, if Ponder was truly a good starting QB, we should know by now. That's where I believe the fans disagree with Spielman on the Ponder issue.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    He has a hot wife.

That's all I got.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I understand that we had to see if Ponder was "The GUY". He looked promising at the beginning of last year, and just got over-whelmed midway on...and then there were signs he was over-coming that at the end.

I think we now know what we have with him, and we will have to look for an answer elsewhere long term. But for this season, can't we TRY Cassel to see if he can at least give us a chance of a good game?

BTW, THAT pisses me off...that we as fans have to beg for a competitive team, when we have AD on the field every Sunday.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Is there ANY upside to Ponder?

It is a conundrum... On one hand, it's hard to see a huge upside to Ponder. On the other hand, if you believe Chiefs fans, they could not be hap hap happier that Cassel is out of there.

The last possession in the Bears game, to me, is a clear indication that Ponder is limited.

Neither Ponder, nor Cassel, appears to be the long-term answer...that's the other conundrum.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    The last possession in the Bears game, to me, is a clear indication that Ponder is limited.
    Please explain. It seemed like he drove us down the field pretty effortlessly until our coaching staff gave up.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    The problem with Ponder is the same with a cheating girlfriend. They both will do just enough to make you believe things will get better and the worst is behind them. It never is but its always just enough to doubt yourself. Example... he looked horrible all game long and then threw the pick 6. At that point I proclaimed I was done and to bench him. He comes back and throws one of the prettiest deep balls I have ever seen.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    Please explain. It seemed like he drove us down the field pretty effortlessly until our coaching staff gave up.
    Well, first off the defense rose to the occasion and gave us the ball on the 48 yard line. On the pass to Jennings that got them inside the 10 he actually had Wright on the right side for a TD if he had thrown the ball there. He had Rudolph for a TD on the next play but put it in the wrong spot. On 3rd down they ran the ball and got stuffed at the LOS.

While it was nice that they did move the ball, not a single pass was thrown into the end zone. Think about that for a second. Since Brett hung up the cleats and aside from that going back to before Culpepper ripped up his knee how many times has this team taken a shot into the end zone once they got past the 40? They had shots and there is no way that I am buying that it is the coaching holding them back.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    I think the desire to keep Ponder as our starting QB centers around Rick Spielman. He has said in the past that he believes it takes 3 years to determine whether or not a QB is good starting material.
    Just another indication of how far in the past our franchise is living. From the run first mentality on offense in a passing era, to a stop the run mentality on defense in a passing era, to believing it takes 3 years to develop a QB. Maybe in 1990 it took 3 years, but now days it doesn't take that long. Lots of guys look good from day 1, but our guy has looked like crap for 2 years and we're still banging our head against the wall.

Buy hey, the Jets are still plugging away with Sanchez, and the Jags are still going with Gabbert so we're not the only slow moving franchise out there.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    The coaching staff didn't give up. They consciously decided not to put the ball in the hands of Ponder (figuratively, of course) to win the game. No shots in the end zone, which, would have forced the Bears to score twice, if converted. Further, settling for the FG, and kicking off to Hester, was seemingly another indication to me that Ponder throwing or running for a TD on 4th down was not an option.

This is certainly second guessing, so be it...but, I think that summarizes some shitty decisions based on lack of confidence in Ponder. If that is not the case, then Musgrave just plain shit the bed, which, admittedly, is another possibility.

Further, just watched the coach's tape on nflnetwork.com. I will say this, Ponder's second half was much, much better than the first. Main reason...he stayed in the pocket and fired the ball (like a real QB). Chicago's D deserves some credit for forcing 3 FGs, but, Ponder was markedly improved vs. his first 3 halves of the season. All that being said, lose to the Browns, and he should be benched IMHO.
    Last edited by MaxVike; 09-18-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast