Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Theory on Vikes Defensive Woes

I think it is a combination of things.
    The one thing I am quite certain of is none of the blame can be placed on the quality of players we have had.

They are not allowed to succeed. Anyone who has played a sport competitively knows about the snowball effect. The spirit, the will, the drive all the mental aspects that go into success. They are limited in what they can achieve from the get go, by playing here in Minnesota.

PurpleElf Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I think it is a combination of things.
    The one thing I am quite certain of is none of the blame can be placed on the quality of players we have had.

They are not allowed to succeed. Anyone who has played a sport competitively knows about the snowball effect. The spirit, the will, the drive all the mental aspects that go into success. They are limited in what they can achieve from the get go, by playing here in Minnesota.
    Not a fan of Minnesota I see.

Del Rio Guest

Never been to Minnesota.

I love the Vikings.

Looks like you don't see.

PurpleElf Guest

im not exactly sure what you mean. All I saw in your previous post was that just because people play in Minnesota there doomed to suck or something. Maybe it it's something in the water?

Del Rio Guest

Because when they come to play in Minnesota, they are not coming to play for a dominant defense, they are coming to play for a defense that has been porous for many years.

They are coming to play for a coaching staff that does not put them in a position to win.

Say you are a free agent LB, and you are traded to Minnesota, would your mind set be the same coming into Minnesota as it would if you were going to play for the Ravens?

Bad defense isn't something that can be fixed easily. Because it gets in your brain. Then when you step on the field and your coach has you lining 10 yards off the WR, he has very limited blitzes to keep the offense off balance it only confirms what you suspected all along.

Ted is a guy who has a system in mind. When it fails because it is crap, all it does is feed the negativity. It is the players fault I NEED NEW BETTER PLAYERS. I need guys that can make me look good.

Look at O'leary, he had the right idea. Let them make plays, coach for what you have not what you want. You make plays enough the rest will come.

Sorry for the confusion, by playing for a team that has had a bad defense for a long time, for a group of coaches who do not put their players in a position to be successful you are doomed from the get go.

That is why Smoot is growing on me, I usually do not like loud mouths. But he is forcing the team to have some spirit, some pride and giving them a bravado. Something a coach should feed and build off of by playing every man to their potential, something I do not think Cottrell has done as of yet.

PurpleElf Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Because when they come to play in Minnesota, they are not coming to play for a dominant defense, they are coming to play for a defense that has been porous for many years.

They are coming to play for a coaching staff that does not put them in a position to win.

Say you are a free agent LB, and you are traded to Minnesota, would your mind set be the same coming into Minnesota as it would if you were going to play for the Ravens?

Bad defense isn't something that can be fixed easily. Because it gets in your brain. Then when you step on the field and your coach has you lining 10 yards off the WR, he has very limited blitzes to keep the offense off balance it only confirms what you suspected all along.

Ted is a guy who has a system in mind. When it fails because it is crap, all it does is feed the negativity. It is the players fault I NEED NEW BETTER PLAYERS. I need guys that can make me look good.

Look at O'leary, he had the right idea. Let them make plays, coach for what you have not what you want. You make plays enough the rest will come.

Sorry for the confusion, by playing for a team that has had a bad defense for a long time, for a group of coaches who do not put their players in a position to be successful you are doomed from the get go.

That is why Smoot is growing on me, I usually do not like loud mouths. But he is forcing the team to have some spirit, some pride and giving them a bravado. Something a coach should feed and build off of by playing every man to their potential, something I do not think Cottrell has done as of yet.
    Oh I see what your saying. I apologize for the confusion as well. And I do agree with what your saying I know if I was going to a team that has been disastrous on defense for so long I guess I would almost naturally(whether consciously or not)have a defeated attitude thinking what can I do. As apposed to a team known for good defense you would be naturally more pumped.

But that all is going to change this year, maybe not completly or right away but it's a process that has to start sometime.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

Asking why our defense has sucked is like asking why the titanic sank. It took a series of things to go wrong in order to sink. YOu can't point to one reason, but I think the revloving door or defensive cordinators is probably the biggest.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I thought the Titanic sank because it hit ONE BIG AZZ ICEBURG......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Del Rio Guest

He must have watched that interesting special the Discovery channel had on the Titanic last night. The way they described it, there was a bunch of things that went wrong that caused/magnified the disaster.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Do the corners play ten/fifteen yards off because of the system and it makes them bad or do the corners just suck and every new coordinator has no choice but to make them play soft. We're talking past tense of course because I love our corners now.

[color=red]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast