Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    No matter what happens from here on out, the Vikings (in my opinion) have had a highly successful season. Nine victories, including back-to-back road victories at St. Louis and at Houston, and the Vikings actually control their own destiny with 1 more regular season game to play! Best of all, I'm not dreaming!

Other comments:

1. Fine game by AD, especially against the NFL's fifth-ranked rush defense. AD will have a shot at history next week against a team that can be run on!

2. In Walsh, we have a trememndous kicker with great long-range ability. His 56-yard FG easily made it! Might he make the Pro Bowl?

3. Nice well-managed game by Ponder. His stats came back to earth in the second half, but an 82 QB rating against the Texans is a fine performance in my opinion.

4. Defense seems to be peaking at the right time. Last 3 weeks: 6 takeaways, 10 sacks. Texans were held to under 200 total yards and 2 FG's. Elite job by our young defense.

5. Harrison Smith is a great addition to the defense. I'm glad he's on our team!

6. Vikings need to play loose to beat the Packers on Sunday. Would like to see AD break some long runs!

iowa is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Meh... still gotta go with the bengals draft class. The fact that their starting MLB was undrafted and is balling outta control seals it....what's his name again.... oh yeah Burfict!
    that's laughable coming from the guy that wanted the great rueben randle instead of harrison smith, i'll grant you the burfict pick by the bengals for now but that guy has a history of attitude problems, something we didn't need.all in all nobody had a better draft than ricky boy.
    None

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    it was one of the best games to watch with dad.

going into it we had a standing stat line that the vikings needed to win.

1. win the turnover battle (check)
    2. keep mat out of sync with his wr's.. (check)
    3. shut down the run (check)
    4. dominate the line of scrimmage (both sides) (CHECK)

there are some players in the NFL that you will never stop, but only slow down. Watt is one of them, and we held him in reasonable check all game. The Texans are known for their D, their turnover ratio, and their consistant play on O. we dominated all 3!!

3rd downs.. was a major factor in this game. and man o man wad dad laughing at some of our conversions.. and even more so when we forced the punt.. but none more then the goal line stand.. that was the game changer. with the score it was a very close game, with the fg.. it was still a multi score game..

our D line played on their side of the ball 90% of the game. we held a dynamic offense to next to nothing. and one of the elite rb's to 12 yards.. 12!!!!!!

the O produced when it had to. that's not going to get us a SB ring.. but it will get us into the dance card!!

walsh.. been trying to think of a nickname for him.. something worthy!!

all is all this game shows one basic point.. this team has rebuilt, has grown, and is on the doorstep of being a yearly contender for the long haul. a few pieces added to the puzzle and BAM NFC North.. the Vikings have returned!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

rednorsk is offline Rookie
    This was the most complete game the Vikings have played in a long time. Evryone stepped up and contributed.
    None

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    WOW. I still can't believe how good the Vikings looked yesterday! ON THE ROAD!!! Since when, do the Vikings go on the road and dominate!??!??? 2 weeks in a row!!?

Wow!

Seriously, the talk of the Vikings not having an identity is silly...seems pretty obvious to me, we are an old-school, smash-mouth, TEAM First football team, and I love it!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    WOW. I still can't believe how good the Vikings looked yesterday! ON THE ROAD!!! Since when, do the Vikings go on the road and dominate!??!??? 2 weeks in a row!!?

Wow!

Seriously, the talk of the Vikings not having an identity is silly...seems pretty obvious to me, we are an old-school, smash-mouth, TEAM First football team, and I love it!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!
    Yeah I'm pretty surprised how well everything turned out.....its almost like I'm in shock when they lost to the Buc's at home but with a much warmer fuzzy feeling and no urge to kick the neighbour's cat, a great way to go into the holiday season.

Merry Christmas Vikings

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    I can't get over how much one player (Harrison Smith) has turned around the defense.

We are a good corner and a stud LB away from an epic defense
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    9 of 13 passing completions on third down with two running third down conversions was definately an upgrade over his usual play. He made a couple of bonehead decisions that he got away with also.
    Over all, he has seemed a little more calm the last two games and has played a little better.
    It was nice to see 5 of those 9 passes go for first down conversions, especially the longer completions. He could have had more, but despite completing the pass, they were still short of the first down. A penalty on one of those did give us a 1st down however, which resulted in a Gerhart TD on the next play.

I still can't understand why when we need several yards for a 1st down they call a play where the pass is short of that mark by a few yards & hope the receiver gets the rest, rather than have the receiver just beyond the marker when throwing to him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It was nice to see 5 of those 9 passes go for first down conversions, especially the longer completions. He could have had more, but despite completing the pass, they were still short of the first down. A penalty on one of those did give us a 1st down however, which resulted in a Gerhart TD on the next play.

I still can't understand why when we need several yards for a 1st down they call a play where the pass is short of that mark by a few yards & hope the receiver gets the rest, rather than have the receiver just beyond the marker when throwing to him.
    Well, I just have one question on that one myself.Has anyone watched the Sehawks with Bevell calling the plays this year?

When Bevell and Childress were here we constantly harped on the 3 yard passes on third and 5 and we are still having those complaints while when I watched the Seahawks the last several weeks they were going way beyond the yard markers on their plays and were aggressive down the field all game long.

The QB position has been limiting the whole offense since Culpepper went down (except the first ear with Brett) and it should be obvious that Ponder either needs to become a gu who looks down the field and hits the WR's or we need to get rid of him ASAP and get one that does.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post

Jerome Simpson dropped another first down, but that catch toward the end made up for it. Great throw, great catch. How often have we been able to say that this season?
    Well, you can't say it now either. That great throw you speak of wasn't. In fact Ponder was trying to throw that 3rd down ball away but got hit when he threw it.

Quarterback Christian Ponder was trying to throw the ball away when he felt pressure on third and 3, but his arm got hit and the ball fluttered on him.

"I want to lie to you and say I meant to make that throw," Ponder said of the 17-yard completion early in the fourth quarter of the Vikings' 23-6 victory over the Houston Texans. "We were very fortunate. Huge catch by him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast