Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Texans Game: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Hey, the way the Vikings had been playing in recent times (18 losses outside in past 19), I'll take an outside road win against a reasonably talented team any day of the week!

With the exception of our return game, I thought the special teams did a good job today. I still can't figure out why we give up so many uncontested pass completions. I guess when you have the lead, you are trying to not get beat over the top, but I'd like to see a little return to some aggressive, tight CB play.

Excellent job by Mewelde Moore as well. The Vikings are truly blessed.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

"Jarhead" wrote:
    "poult" wrote:
    jarhead, why do you think it was a negative day for daunte? or am i just reading your post wrong.
    I just wasn't impressed. Yeah his stats were good but I thought he was outshined by Carr. Daunte did have two nice TD's one to Moss and one to Robinson but everything else was dump passes. Moore had 12 catches. Yea he didn't loose the game with turnovers, which is nice but where is the explosion from this "high powered offense"? Why were we going 3 and out in the fourth quarter? Why was our first OT posession three dump passes to Moore? Maybe I'm expecting too much but I don't see Daunte "winning" the game vs. "not loosing the game".

And yes he did pull it out of his butt at the end with the pass to Robinson so it's hard to be too hard on him. I just think that if he was the play maker that I'm told he is we should not have gotten beat 28-7 in the second half.
    You have got to be kidding me here.Pepper was FANTASTIC today. If you are expecting more than what he did then you are looking for something that NO QB can do. They hit the deep throw, he made smart throws to Moore when no one was open, when the old Daunte would throw into coverage and get it intercepted. He made smart decisions.
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

I must agree a little bit with jarhead. There were to many times when Culpepper should have tucked it away and run, then there were times when he was outside the tackles and should have thrown the ball away and he tried to run. It looked to me that Culpepper was confused alot by this Texan defense!
    can we clone Bud Grant?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Jarhead" wrote:
    "poult" wrote:
    jarhead, why do you think it was a negative day for daunte? or am i just reading your post wrong.
    I just wasn't impressed. Yeah his stats were good but I thought he was outshined by Carr. Daunte did have two nice TD's one to Moss and one to Robinson but everything else was dump passes. Moore had 12 catches. Yea he didn't loose the game with turnovers, which is nice but where is the explosion from this "high powered offense"? Why were we going 3 and out in the fourth quarter? Why was our first OT posession three dump passes to Moore? Maybe I'm expecting too much but I don't see Daunte "winning" the game vs. "not loosing the game".

And yes he did pull it out of his butt at the end with the pass to Robinson so it's hard to be too hard on him. I just think that if he was the play maker that I'm told he is we should not have gotten beat 28-7 in the second half.
    You can probably blame the conservative playcalling on Linehan, but when most teams put up 28 points early, their defense usually doesn't find a way to let the other team back in it...I wouldn't place too much of the blame on Daunte.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

On the other hand, Linehan should definitely get some blame for using a conservative PASSING schme when we were ahead, while completely ignoring our running game, which was a major source of our first half momentum. WE were up 21-0, and we start the 3rd quarter PASSING ON ALL 3 DOWNS? We volunteered a one-dimensional offense to a team we were kicking the crap out of, and threw the whole clock management strategy right out the window. VERY BAD WAY TO PROTECT THE LEAD. Of course, we're all very happy that we got the win, but it never should have even been a contest. We can keep winning games like this and barely make it into the playoffs, or we can get some better playcalling going, start CONTROLLING games and the clock, mixing up our offensive looks, and maybe get to the Superbowl... It's up to the coaches.
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Jarhead" wrote:
    -Special Teams
    -Daunte
    -tackling
    -the rookie 4th string back carried the offense
    -pass blocking
    -did I say special teams
    -where was Moss?
    -first posession in OT was three dump passes to Moore
    -28-7 in the second half
    -why was Shaw covering Andre Johnson?
    -PENALTIES

+we won
    +Marcus Robinson had a good game
    +Moore had a great game

I don't want to be too negative but that was not a good game for the Vikes.
    I have to disagree with a few items:
    *Special Teams looked better, as far as coverage. Really only on that last punt did they foul it up. Remember, you have to walk before you can run.
    *Daunte a -???
    *Moss, where was he. Playing decoy boy I guess.
    *I do not see how Daunte can throw for 396, 5 TD, NO TURNOVERS and you can say MM carried the offense.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

+Daunte making good reads when blitzed. They had guys coming up to the line before every snap. When they did blitz (almost every play) even if it was a dump pass, NO TURNOVERS!!!

Foreman44 is offline Starter

Given what he had to work with and the pressure applied all day by the blitzing Texan defense, Culpepper did more than a commendable job

Foreman44 is offline Starter

"Odin VAVikefan" wrote:
    On the other hand, Linehan should definitely get some blame for using a conservative PASSING schme when we were ahead, while completely ignoring our running game, which was a major source of our first half momentum. WE were up 21-0, and we start the 3rd quarter PASSING ON ALL 3 DOWNS? We volunteered a one-dimensional offense to a team we were kicking the crap out of, and threw the whole clock management strategy right out the window. VERY BAD WAY TO PROTECT THE LEAD. Of course, we're all very happy that we got the win, but it never should have even been a contest. We can keep winning games like this and barely make it into the playoffs, or we can get some better playcalling going, start CONTROLLING games and the clock, mixing up our offensive looks, and maybe get to the Superbowl... It's up to the coaches.

Very well said this. Linehan can be very impressive on one drive but then suddenly get very conservative and one dimensional on another. I also think the comment about mixing up our offensive looks applies to Cottrell and his defensive schemes. He has clearly got to got this defense blitzing more often and moving around a lot more.

Jarhead is offline Rookie

I'm not saying he sucked. I just don't see him as being all that special. Carr's stats are very close to Culpeppers and he didn't have a running game or 90 yards in dump offs to his backs, tight ends, and that stupid little pass to Moss on the line of scrimmage.

The play calling needs work too.

He doesn't suck but he's not that special either.
    And, ladies and gentlemen, I also know that he cannot lead troops to victory in a war when he has made it perfectly clear that he does not support the cause. -Gen. Tommy Franks on John Kerry-

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast