Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    chubchub is offline Rookie

Ted Cottrell on KFAN yesterday

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Yeah the D-Line has been lacking the last few years. I think this year looks promising.

Williams gave us our first 10+ sack individual effort since 99'

Hope that the front can be more like the 89' front with Doleman 21 sacks, Millard 18.0, Noga 11.5, Thomas 9.0

Hovan has had a few sub par years imo, but I guess when your secondary doesn't give you time then there aren't going to be very many sacks.

I think this year looks very promising
    You've got it backwards- the d-line doesn't give the secondary time.

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Sorry my fault, I thought it was Tice. Keep in mind how bad the Jets D was last year though, he isn't a miracle worker for sure.

It would have ben one hel of a miracle for cotrell to make that jets D good. Look at their D players and how many of them would start over our guys this year? Probably hardly any. Abraham, thats about it. Hell, Tyrone Carter was their starting safety and one of their better D players. A D coordinator can only do so much, with the talent he has. In NY, he had an extremely small amount of talent, but here he has a ton of talent to work with.

Now I am not gonna say we are all of a sudden gonna go from the 23rd ranked D, to a top 5 D, but this D will be much better with cotrell. We should be happy with a D around 15th, which is easily good enough with our offense.

One thing to note: when your offense is really good, it is usually harder for your D to be good, since your offense is scoring and giving the other teams offense the ball back all the time. Look at teams with good D's, they usually have bad offenses that don't score that much. This isn't a coinsidence. It will be pretty hard for our D to be a top 5 or even top 10 D, with our offense as good as it is. Possible? Yes, but very hard to do. Our D will be much better than their ranking.
    Their D was much better than ours last year.

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I disagree muchluv, it is alot easier on a defense when their offense is goos.

Not only is there considerably less pressure to stop them from scoring anything on every possession, but the defense is out on the field alot less.

You claim that it is hard on the defense if the O is scoring all the time. That would only be true if our average drive was 30 seconds or something. Fortunatly a scoring drive almost always takes more time than your average 3 and out drive. Especially when we grind it out on the ground like we did alot last year.

The better our Offense is, the longer our drives are, which means more rest for the D.

Name a team with a top D, that also had a top offense. I bet I can name many more teams with great D's that had offenses near the bottom of the league. Is that coincidence? I say no. No matter how much talent we have on our D, it will never be ranked high in the league. It will never be as good as the ravens, rankings wise. Why? Because of our offense. We have an offense that can score from anywhere and quickly. That hurts our D chances of being ranked high. Same with teams like the colts and chiefs.

You make good points, but for some reason, teams that have great D's in this league, always have horrible offenses, and vice versa. Sure you can say that because of FA, that those teams have all their talent on D and none on offense, but that isn't always true. Look at the Bills of 2 years ago, with one of the best offenses in the league. Their D sucked badly that year too. Look at their offense and D last year. They had a horrible offense and an awesome D. Sure some of that can be contributed to a few good FA pickups, but it also has something to do with their offense IMO.

Also look at teams who lead the league in time of possession last year. We were either 2nd or 3rd in T.O.P, yet our D was still ranked 23rd in the league. You would think they would be higher than that, if our offense had the ball that often. Same can be said for many of the top T.O.P leaders last year, they had bad D rankings still.

What you say, makes sense, but it always seems to work out that teams with great offenses and high T.O.P, end up having bad D's. I wouldn't call that coincidence.
    That doesn't make sense- a good offense keeps your D off the field. If our offense was average- we might have had one of the worst defenses ever!

Del Rio Guest

Have you ever heard of a coverage sack?

The Secondary does indeed give the D-line time to get to the quarterback.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Muchluv I wouldn't look at the trends you are when determining how a defense is affected by an offense.

The reason you don't see alot of top ranked Offensive-defensive team is because there is alot of parity in the league. It is damn near impossible to get together a team with enough talent on both sides of the ball to be near the best in the league in both areas, epsecially with the salary cap.

I think the Broncos of were pretty good on both sides when they won it all both years.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Muchluv I wouldn't look at the trends you are when determining how a defense is affected by an offense.

The reason you don't see alot of top ranked Offensive-defensive team is because there is alot of parity in the league. It is damn near impossible to get together a team with enough talent on both sides of the ball to be near the best in the league in both areas, epsecially with the salary cap.

I think the Broncos of were pretty good on both sides when they won it all both years.

Again I say that there are a million more examples of teams with great D's, that have horrible offenses and vise versa. I am not talking a good D and a good offense, I am talking about teams with the best D's in the league each year. Buffalo 2 years ago had a great offense and a horrible D, yet they had plenty of talent on their D that year. The next year, their D was a great D, yet their offense stunk to high hell. I am sorry, but I just don't think it is coincidence that it always happens this way. It isn't always lack of talent.

I'll put it this way. A team with a great defense, will always use a more conservative offense, and not beat themselves, since they know their D will get the ball right back to them. A team with a bad D, will do the opposite on offense, knowing they have to take chances and get points whenever possible.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"chubchub" wrote:
    "muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Sorry my fault, I thought it was Tice. Keep in mind how bad the Jets D was last year though, he isn't a miracle worker for sure.

It would have ben one hel of a miracle for cotrell to make that jets D good. Look at their D players and how many of them would start over our guys this year? Probably hardly any. Abraham, thats about it. Hell, Tyrone Carter was their starting safety and one of their better D players. A D coordinator can only do so much, with the talent he has. In NY, he had an extremely small amount of talent, but here he has a ton of talent to work with.

Now I am not gonna say we are all of a sudden gonna go from the 23rd ranked D, to a top 5 D, but this D will be much better with cotrell. We should be happy with a D around 15th, which is easily good enough with our offense.

One thing to note: when your offense is really good, it is usually harder for your D to be good, since your offense is scoring and giving the other teams offense the ball back all the time. Look at teams with good D's, they usually have bad offenses that don't score that much. This isn't a coinsidence. It will be pretty hard for our D to be a top 5 or even top 10 D, with our offense as good as it is. Possible? Yes, but very hard to do. Our D will be much better than their ranking.
    Their D was much better than ours last year.

Much better?? Scoring D was much better but not overall D. Their overall D was much worse than ours.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234