Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Ted Cottrell on KFAN yesterday

"Del Rio" wrote:
    That pic isn't me

It's Kyle from Tenacious D, a band that the comedian jack Black started
    Tenacious D! That is one funny band! :thumbright:
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    [quote]"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Sorry my fault, I thought it was Tice. Keep in mind how bad the Jets D was last year though, he isn't a miracle worker for sure.

Now I am not gonna say we are all of a sudden gonna go from the 23rd ranked D, to a top 5 D, but this D will be much better with cotrell. We should be happy with a D around 15th, which is easily good enough with our offense.
    I agree. And don't forget that wonderful little intangible called "chemistry" (no, not Ricky Williams and SOD's type) that makes a group of guys click. The Skins demonstrated you can pick up all the talented free agent hired guns you want and still fall flat on your fanny.
    Edmund Burke

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I disagree muchluv, it is alot easier on a defense when their offense is goos.

Not only is there considerably less pressure to stop them from scoring anything on every possession, but the defense is out on the field alot less.

You claim that it is hard on the defense if the O is scoring all the time. That would only be true if our average drive was 30 seconds or something. Fortunatly a scoring drive almost always takes more time than your average 3 and out drive. Especially when we grind it out on the ground like we did alot last year.

The better our Offense is, the longer our drives are, which means more rest for the D.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

ItalianStallion wrote:
    Sorry my fault, I thought it was Tice. Keep in mind how bad the Jets D was last year though, he isn't a miracle worker for sure.

Cottrell was the scapegoat for herman edwards last year. That defense was so stripped down they had nobody. Thats why they were trying to sign antoine winfield who we stole at the last second... But look at the bright side. They got Quincy Carter in New york now :drunken:

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

speaking of poor defenses though, I cant believe the packers fired donatel last year, he made a below average defense (personel wise), look decent with smoke and mirrors all year long and then he gets fired cuz the rookie linebacker screwed up his zone coverage by stayin near the line of scrimmage instead of dropping back 15 - 20 yards.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    "LosAngelis" wrote:
    Isn't Ted Cottrell the guy who does food on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"? He's one of your coaches?
    HA! A witty salvo from La La Land. You funny man LosPeckerless... :lol:
    Not insulting you personally Los... Haven't been on the board since January so folks may not remember my sense of humor... Skol Vikings!
    It's all water off my back, my friend. :-) After Bovy, your taunts seem harmless and well-intentioned...:-)
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I disagree muchluv, it is alot easier on a defense when their offense is goos.

Not only is there considerably less pressure to stop them from scoring anything on every possession, but the defense is out on the field alot less.

You claim that it is hard on the defense if the O is scoring all the time. That would only be true if our average drive was 30 seconds or something. Fortunatly a scoring drive almost always takes more time than your average 3 and out drive. Especially when we grind it out on the ground like we did alot last year.

The better our Offense is, the longer our drives are, which means more rest for the D.

Name a team with a top D, that also had a top offense. I bet I can name many more teams with great D's that had offenses near the bottom of the league. Is that coincidence? I say no. No matter how much talent we have on our D, it will never be ranked high in the league. It will never be as good as the ravens, rankings wise. Why? Because of our offense. We have an offense that can score from anywhere and quickly. That hurts our D chances of being ranked high. Same with teams like the colts and chiefs.

You make good points, but for some reason, teams that have great D's in this league, always have horrible offenses, and vice versa. Sure you can say that because of FA, that those teams have all their talent on D and none on offense, but that isn't always true. Look at the Bills of 2 years ago, with one of the best offenses in the league. Their D sucked badly that year too. Look at their offense and D last year. They had a horrible offense and an awesome D. Sure some of that can be contributed to a few good FA pickups, but it also has something to do with their offense IMO.

Also look at teams who lead the league in time of possession last year. We were either 2nd or 3rd in T.O.P, yet our D was still ranked 23rd in the league. You would think they would be higher than that, if our offense had the ball that often. Same can be said for many of the top T.O.P leaders last year, they had bad D rankings still.

What you say, makes sense, but it always seems to work out that teams with great offenses and high T.O.P, end up having bad D's. I wouldn't call that coincidence.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"thepacksux" wrote:
    ItalianStallion wrote:

Cottrell was the scapegoat for herman edwards last year. That defense was so stripped down they had nobody. Thats why they were trying to sign antoine winfield who we stole at the last second... But look at the bright side. They got Quincy Carter in New york now :drunken:

Yeah, plus cottrell didn't have total control of the jets D, like he did in buffalo and will here in minnesota. He had to run herman edwards style of D. Cottrell says that he is happy that he is back in a place where he can do what he wants on D.

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    "LosAngelis" wrote:
    Isn't Ted Cottrell the guy who does food on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"? He's one of your coaches?
    HA! A witty salvo from La La Land. You funny man LosPeckerless... :lol:
    Not insulting you personally Los... Haven't been on the board since January so folks may not remember my sense of humor... Skol Vikings!
    It's all water off my back, my friend. :-) After Bovy, your taunts seem harmless and well-intentioned...:-)
    Cool. My shots are never personal, only in fun. :thumbright:
    Edmund Burke

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    ItalianStallion wrote:

Yeah, plus cottrell didn't have total control of the jets D, like he did in buffalo and will here in minnesota. He had to run herman edwards style of D. Cottrell says that he is happy that he is back in a place where he can do what he wants on D.
    You also have to remember that the jets didnt have much quality player on d either. THere pass rush was pretty bad to mereley averge, lb's were a bunch of bikerts running around, most were aging and dont have much athleticsm, secondary was average at best.

However through all of that, cotrells usually doesnt give up a lot of points and thats with a d simular to waht we had in 2001. I know we are in for something special if cottrell can do that with that horrible jet d and edwards on him like a guard dog.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast