Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Taylor playing part of 'ultimate professional'

but then they both tire out the same.
    The idea is by switching up backs, you keep one back fresh, andit willhelp eliminate injuries.
    of course sometimes you could have both in at the same time.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Sacrifice for the team, knows better to be great together than losin and being a star. thats smart
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    The dual running back combo is a proven winner.
    CT is incredibly important to the health of our offense.
    Yet when I mentioned that fact a few years ago, before we even signed CT, I was scoffed at & the majority of the people here said we needed an every down back instead.
    A team can win either way. It isn't that a team has one great back or a great tandem as much as that they have the best team. Dallas with Emmitt, Indy with Edge, Denver with Davis, St louis, San Diego with LT and Indy with Faulk etc all had great offenses with a primary back.

When Edge left Indy used a 2 back set very successfully, Chicago did it well, we did it well etc.

IMHO as long as you have a great run blocking line you can rush with 1,2 or 3 primary players and be successful at it. The key is the line.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Chester Taylor is the MAN. Period.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Yet when I mentioned that fact a few years ago, before we even signed CT, I was scoffed at & the majority of the people here said we needed an every down back instead.
    A team can win either way. It isn't that a team has one great back or a great tandem as much as that they have the best team. Dallas with Emmitt, Indy with Edge, Denver with Davis, St louis, San Diego with LT and Indy with Faulk etc all had great offenses with a primary back.

When Edge left Indy used a 2 back set very successfully, Chicago did it well, we did it well etc.

IMHO as long as you have a great run blocking line you can rush with 1,2 or 3 primary players and be successful at it. The key is the line.
    Thanks UffDa, talent determines the situation more than a system and if you have an effective run blocking team you can mix up a lot of RB's and be productive.

I think this whole conversation had a pretty lengthy discussion not too long ago.
    My
    belief is that in our situation, AD is by far the superior talent and will end up seeing more than his shares of carries.
    CT will still get a fair amount, but I would expect it to be decreasing unless AD gets hurt or continues to show difficulties in pass blocking.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Thanks UffDa, talent determines the situation more than a system and if you have an effective run blocking team you can mix up a lot of RB's and be productive.

I think this whole conversation had a pretty lengthy discussion not too long ago.
    My
    belief is that in our situation, AD is by far the superior talent and will end up seeing more than his shares of carries.
    CT will still get a fair amount, but I would expect it to be decreasing unless AD gets hurt or continues to show difficulties in pass blocking.

I can't agree that AP is by far a much better talent.
    I think he has better athletic ability and can work on being by far better.
    But right now CT knows how to block and pick up schemes better as well as catch out of the backfield better.
    IMO they are pretty close at this point as far as being a RB in the NFL.
    Now, if AP learns defensive schemes better and can prove he can catch out of the backfield then yes, he would be by far a better talent.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Uff,

Your oh so right with that man.........
    The running game for any team, will only go as far as the line will block for said RB or RB's.....

And if you lucky, your team will prosper much more in the running game if that solid O Line blocking is paired up with some very good down field blocking by you WR's and TE's.......Like we did last season, our WR's blocked really well last year, once they got off the line...

I hope to see much of the same, and improvement, compaired to last years blocking from our whole O Team.
    Wouldn't be suprised at all if we lead the whole NFL in rushing yards for 2008.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

sh01002 is offline Rookie

He is a phenomenal player, too bad hes stuck as a backup...bad for him but great for us!
    Play in my Vikings fantasy football league!
    http://www.rotohog.com/group/nfl/joinleagues/viewleague?leagueid=9025

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    we still need an every down back.
    we actually have two of them, but they split carries.
    If one was the starter, and the other only had brief playing time, that would be fine, because they are both good backs.
    The problem a few years ago, was our running back combo consissted of Mewelde Moore, and Michael Bennett.
    That doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
    EXACTLY! A few years ago we DID need an every down back. The closest thing we had to one was Onterrio Smith???

Now, we have TWO every down backs. The difference is pretty clear.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    we still need an every down back.
    we actually have two of them, but they split carries.
    If one was the starter, and the other only had brief playing time, that would be fine, because they are both good backs.
    The problem a few years ago, was our running back combo consissted of Mewelde Moore, and Michael Bennett.
    That doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
    EXACTLY! A few years ago we DID need an every down back. The closest thing we had to one was Onterrio Smith???

Now, we have TWO every down backs. The difference is pretty clear.
    We have been going back and forth between the two types since the mid-80's at least. Some years we did good, sometimes we have didn't.

Nelson
    Allen
    Walker
    Smith
    Bennett
    Smith(pothead version)
    Taylor
    Peterson.

We have also had very successful backups like

Scotty Graham
    Amp Lee
    Rick Fenney
    Alfred Anderson
    Rodger Craig
    Leroy Hoard
    Moe Williams

etc

The biggest single issue we have had in our running game is keeping the RB's healthy on the artificial turf. The old turf just tore up knees left and right while it seems the new one has done a much better job of protecting knees.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123