Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Tarvaris wants to stay in Minnesota

NodakPaul wrote:
    V4L wrote:
    Idk

I personally don't think running him 5 more times a game or so would open up more holes

But hey atleast we didn't have to know this year
    Not just AD, but Chester as well. 10 more runs per game and 15-20 fewer passes - that definately makes a difference. The OL loves to run block - they are pushing rather than dropping back and being pushed. It tires a DL quickly to always be working backwards and running sidelines to make tackles. Watch the DL sometime after 3 or 4 straight run plays. You will see a LOT of substitution. If you can get into a hurry up where you are effectively running the ball and not letting the dfense huddle up... they will almost always call a time out.

Go back and look at AD's big runs throughout his career. I would be willign to bet that most of them came in the second half, or even in the fourth quarter.

Either way I'm not concerned. We are pass first with an amazing running compliment. And that is winning us games.
    Thats a damn fine point right there.

I still don't understand why we can't "Press" a bit more with our play calling.

With the OL we have, the weapons available in our base set and the QB experience, you would think we would be a bit quicker in that area instead of so methodic at tims.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    The Noodle will come back, TJ will continue to watch from the bench, awaiting his chance, and the staff will draft another "Project QB", probably in the first 3 rounds of this years draft.
    I have a feeling this is how it is going to play out as well.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    The Noodle will come back, TJ will continue to watch from the bench, awaiting his chance, and the staff will draft another "Project QB", probably in the first 3 rounds of this years draft.
    It'll be really interesting to see how Tebow does in the Senior Bowl. If he does show poor mechanics, he might end up being available in the 1st round... Maye Childress believes he can 'fix' this kid. Going to be interesting to see where he ends up.

If Tarvaris stays, awaiting his chance, and you draft a new project at QB, is Sage the odd man out after just giving up a draft pick to get him?

Let me say this, if TJ does get released, I'd love to have him in GB as a back-up. I still think that he has some potential and can do something with some weapons. If he was the starter this year, he wouldn't have been Favre good, but he would've been better than in years past. TJ had an up and coming Shiancoe to throw to. Favre now has Shiancoe, Rice and Harvin to throw to. Of course, it works the other way around a little, as well.

I don't know how fast he'd find a starting job anywhere else. Maybe there's a slight chance the Bills or the 49ers take a gamble, but if not, I'd hope that we'd sign him.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If Tarvaris stays, awaiting his chance, and you draft a new project at QB, is Sage the odd man out after just giving up a draft pick to get him?

Let me say this, if TJ does get released, I'd love to have him in GB as a back-up. I still think that he has some potential and can do something with some weapons. If he was the starter this year, he wouldn't have been Favre good, but he would've been better than in years past. TJ had an up and coming Shiancoe to throw to. Favre now has Shiancoe, Rice and Harvin to throw to. Of course, it works the other way around a little, as well.

I don't know how fast he'd find a starting job anywhere else. Maybe there's a slight chance the Bills or the 49ers take a gamble, but if not, I'd hope that we'd sign him.
    and unfortunately that is his level, we will make an ok backup but never be a starting quality QB. I was watching Thursdays Total Access today and the big discussion there was regarding Favre and this year being close to the Vikes windows of opportunity closing - hence the big rush from Childress to get Favre in for this season. As you say TJ would have been better this year but I doubt he would have been improved enough to lead the Vikes to the post season.
    If we draft a new project at QB then we'll also have to tie in the lead in time, for him to be at a good level, with the turnover and replacement of other high level players.

TJ must have learnt a lot from Favre this year - despite many, myself included, who didn't consider Favre to be a mentor type of player - but the bottom line is that you need a certain level of skill and football smarts to begin with to be a legitimate starter in the NFL. IMO TJ doesn't meet that pre-requisite.
    I wish that Favre had made his mind up earlier this year, then we could have drafted a QB instead of trading for Sage. That way we would have someone worthwhile spending his first year learning from Favre as the #3 QB before ever having to be pushed to move up the depth chart. Still hindsight is a wonderful thing :laugh:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

NodakPaul wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Isn't it a good feeling though?

Experienced Vet that seems to fit the scheme. Young backup that has improved each year and has proven he can win both as a starter and from the bench but still shows a bit of inconsistency. Young third year man learning with no pressure.

Said it before, if the previous regime would have thought this way we would never have had to go through the pains of watching a kid learn on the field. We would have had a 2 or 3 year man sitting there ready to take the reigns when BJ lost it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Rockmolder wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    It'll be really interesting to see how Tebow does in the Senior Bowl. If he does show poor mechanics, he might end up being available in the 1st round... Maye Childress believes he can 'fix' this kid. Going to be interesting to see where he ends up.

Agree on all points except for the T-bow comments.

Its kindof hard to figure out what kindof QB this staff is looking for out of the draft, based on the little history we have, but I don't think T-bow is it.

I think they will opt for a 6-3 to 6-5 kindof guy, that has a decent arm that gets rid of it quickly, quick decision making skills and accurate.

Mayock was on the other day breaking T-bow down. His long windup and slow delivery aren't really along those lines.

I like the options of a Mallet kindof guy late in the first, or a Pike/Hiller in the second and even the possibility of a kid like Sean Canfield in the third.

As to TJ, I don't think he would have struggled as bad as some think this year as I don't think this team was quite mature enough to carry a QB. Next year, I will be singing a different tune.

We have a very nice mix of young and old at alot of key positions who seem to have figured things out, on both sides of the ball.

AngloVike wrote:

and unfortunately that is his level, we will make an ok backup but never be a starting quality QB. I was watching Thursdays Total Access today and the big discussion there was regarding Favre and this year being close to the Vikes windows of opportunity closing - hence the big rush from Childress to get Favre in for this season. As you say TJ would have been better this year but I doubt he would have been improved enough to lead the Vikes to the post season.
    If we draft a new project at QB then we'll also have to tie in the lead in time, for him to be at a good level, with the turnover and replacement of other high level players.

TJ must have learnt a lot from Favre this year - despite many, myself included, who didn't consider Favre to be a mentor type of player - but the bottom line is that you need a certain level of skill and football smarts to begin with to be a legitimate starter in the NFL. IMO TJ doesn't meet that pre-requisite.
    I wish that Favre had made his mind up earlier this year, then we could have drafted a QB instead of trading for Sage. That way we would have someone worthwhile spending his first year learning from Favre as the #3 QB before ever having to be pushed to move up the depth chart. Still hindsight is a wonderful thing :laugh:
    Nice post Anglo. Just one point of discussion, .....

I don't think the window is even close to closing on this team. Sure a couple of cats (Phat Pat) might get left in the wake, but this team is built to be good for at least 3 or 4 more years and that is without the notion that the staff will continue to add depth/quality talent via the draft with some key Vets sprinkled in.

Was it hard to watch guys like TJ, Griff, Chad etc learn on the field? Sure, but they matured at a quicker pace and should continue to just get better as they continue to get live game reps.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Rather see them let him go. Time to distance themselves from the Jackson era with or without Favre.

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

Freakout wrote:
    Rather see them let him go. Time to distance themselves from the Jackson era with or without Favre.
    I don't necessarily think this 'Jackson era' had any negative effect on anything, usually when you want to move on with a 'so and so era' in football, its away from a time where there's a locker room cancer, bad coach, contreversial player, etc. I don't think Jackson is one of them, therefore I don't think moving away from the 'Jackson era' will do this team any good, or any bad- other than losing a quality backup.

Although part of me still wants to argue his case that he still has a chance at being a quality starter, more of me just wants to call him a backup, just because I never want be a part of the circular debate about Tarvaris being the guy or not, ever again...

I say we keep him, I'm not exactly a fan of Rosencopter...

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

AngloVike wrote:
    [quote]

the bottom line is that you need a certain level of skill and football smarts to begin with to be a legitimate starter in the NFL. IMO TJ doesn't meet that pre-requisite.
    :
    This is the most logical statement on this subject

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast