Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Tarvaris Jackson vs. History

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Just goes to show you that it is possible to hand pick players and stats to make gol 'darnit near any argument you want to make.

Throw in guys like

Troy Smith,
    Andre Ware,
    Omar Jacobs
    Quincy Carter
    Giovanni Carmazzi
    Chris Redmon
    Akili Smith
    Tony Banks
    Kordell Stewart
    Jeff Blake

And see what happens to your statistics.
    My guess is your results will be quite different
    Won't that make TJ's stats look even better though... taking guys with good numbers should hurt the TJ comparison.. or am I thinking wrong per normal?
    Ya, I guess I am a bit confused as well.

I thought his stats were to show TJ against quality QB's (TJ's stats would be lower if he sucked) rather than crappy QB's (TJ's stats would look like a gods).
    Exactly, again Marrdro is the voice of reason.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Just goes to show you that it is possible to hand pick players and stats to make gol 'darnit near any argument you want to make.

Throw in guys like

Troy Smith,
    Andre Ware,
    Omar Jacobs
    Quincy Carter
    Giovanni Carmazzi
    Chris Redmon
    Akili Smith
    Tony Banks
    Kordell Stewart
    Jeff Blake

Won't that make TJ's stats look even better though... taking guys with good numbers should hurt the TJ comparison.. or am I thinking wrong per normal?
    '

It may make them better or worse depending on the question you are asking.

If you are comparing win percentage, he would look pretty good.
    If you are comparing games sat out in the first 2 seasons due to injury, maybe not as good.
    If you are looking for a history of quarterbacks who were drafted for mobility and a strong arm and how many actually pan out despite the hype he has a long road ahead of him.

That is my point. You can pick 10 guys and pull up all kinds of stats out of your butt to support an argument or you can make an argument and pull 10 random QB's over the last 40 years to support
    what you said but in the end it doesn't make a gol 'darnit bit of difference. We are talking football not making cookies.
    I do a bit of number crunching for work and when I want to make something look good I go find the worst stuff to compare it against not the best.

With that said, it appears to me the guys he threw up there weren't all chop salad adn TJ's numbers stood up pretty well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Rambro is offline Rookie

Tarvaris Jackson
    A.K.A God's Gift To The Vikings

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Throw in guys like

Troy Smith,
    Andre Ware,
    Omar Jacobs
    Quincy Carter
    Giovanni Carmazzi
    Chris Redmon
    Akili Smith
    Tony Banks
    Kordell Stewart
    Jeff Blake

Ya, I guess I am a bit confused as well.

I thought his stats were to show TJ against quality QB's (TJ's stats would be lower if he sucked) rather than crappy QB's (TJ's stats would look like a gods).
    Exactly, again Marrdro is the voice of reason.
    I hate New Marrdro.
    Old Marrdro would have stirred the pot in an effort to prove someone else wrong or to drive a point home that he was trying to make in another thread.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I do a bit of number crunching for work and when I want to make something look good I go find the worst stuff to compare it against not the best.

With that said, it appears to me the guys he threw up there weren't all chop salad adn TJ's numbers stood up pretty well.
    I know just what you mean.. I'm an engineering student at the U of M, and whenever we have to do a lab report, we always pick the results that best match our hypothesis.. Its crappy science ethics, but hey, results are results and whatever gets the grade is good enough for me.

And that was my whole point of picking those players, they are the best of the best, and I wanted to see how Jackson stood up to their numbers.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I know just what you mean.. I'm an engineering student at the U of M, and whenever we have to do a lab report, we always pick the results that best match our hypothesis.. Its crappy science ethics, but hey, results are results and whatever gets the grade is good enough for me.

And that was my whole point of picking those players, they are the best of the best, and I wanted to see how Jackson stood up to their numbers.
    I think UffDa's point was that you can probably find 10 guys that were similar style QB's to TJ that started out with good numbers in their first year but then kind of fell apart.

Just basically saying is that you can't look at a QB's stats in his first few years and determine if he is going to be a star.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Any time numbers are referenced I refer to my favorite quote from a Statistics Prof I had...

"Statistics are like a lamp pole to a drunk... used much more for support then for illumination"
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I think UffDa's point was that you can probably find 10 guys that were similar style QB's to TJ that started out with good numbers in their first year but then kind of fell apart.

Just basically saying is that you can't look at a QB's stats in his first few years and determine if he is going to be a star.
    I would agree with him then if that was his point.
    As I said, He confused me a bit.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Any time numbers are referenced I refer to my favorite quote from a Statistics Prof I had...

"Statistics are like a lamp pole to a drunk... used much more for support then for illumination"
    Very nice and very true.
    My stats teachers weren't that colorful, or maybe I slept through that part.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Very nice and very true.
    My stats teachers weren't that colorful, or maybe I slept through that part.
    I always liked:
    "Stats dont lie, but liers use stats."

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast