Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

Tarvaris Jackson vs. History

There has been a lot of debate throughout the last year concerning how Tarvaris Jackson has played this year. In my mind, it is hard to compare how one quarterback plays in a year compared to all the others in the league because there is such a spread in each player's experience, team talent, offensive system, etc.

So I took 10 quarterbacks who I thought were similar to Tarvaris Jackson in playing style (ie: they have good mobility) and then looked at each player's stats for their first full year of being the starting quarterback. And as you can see from the table below, I chose some of the best mobile quarterbacks to have ever played the game. Then by averaging the 10 players together, I think I found a good benchmark to use while evaluating how Jackson has played this year. I think the stats speak for themselves.

Year G

Comp
    Att

Pct

Yds

Avg/A
    Avg/C
    TD

Int

Rate
    Donovan Mcnabb R 12 106 216 49.1 948 4.4 8.9 8 7 60.1
    Warrenn Moon R 16 259 450 57.6 3338 7.4 12.9 12 14 76.9
    Vince Young R 15 184 357 51.5 2199 6.2 12.0 12 13 66.7
    Steve McNair 3 16 216 415 52.0 2665 6.4 12.3 14 13 70.4
    Steve Young 2 14 195 363 53.7 2282 6.3 11.7 8 13 65.5
    Fran Tarkenton 2 14 163 329 49.5 2595 6.7 15.9 22 25 66.9
    Archie Manning 2 14 230 448 51.3 2781 4.0 12.1 18 21 64.6
    John Elway 3 16 327 605 54.0 3891 3.6 11.9 22 23 70.2
    Steve Grogan 2 14 145 302 48.0 1903 6.0 13.1 18 20 60.6
    Randall Cunningham 3 12 223 406 54.9 2786 5.7 12.5 23 12 83.0
    AVG 2 14 205 389 52.7 2529 6.5 12.3 16 17 68.5
    Tarvaris Jackson 2 12 171 294 58.2 1911 6.5 11.2 9 12 70.8
    Adj. Jackson 226 389 58.2 2531 6.5 11.2 12 16 70.8

The three stats that I bolded are the most indicative of the quarterback's play (not affected by play calling), completion percentage, averages, and quarterback rating. As you can see, Jackson actually posted better stats than the average of the ten listed quarterbacks, many of whom are in the hall of fame.

Also, I added Jackson's adjusted stats if he had thrown the same number of attempts as the other players averaged, and projected his stats out using his completion percentage, averages per completion, and TD/Int per attempt ratios. And although Jackson did through more interceptions than touchdowns, he threw less interceptions per attempt than the average.

Also given that Jackson came from a small division II school, while almost all of the above quarterbacks were first round picks, I think it is amazing how well Jackson has played compared to some of the best quarterbacks to have ever played. Of course every player was in a different situation, but I think by averaging out each players stats, it eliminates most of of the situational anomalies.

Looking at the above stats, and given that Jackson came from a small school and played on a Vikings team that is lacking in receiving talent, I would say that Jackson's play was more than adequate. In my opinion it would be a horrible decision not to let him start next year.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: Tarvaris Jackson vs. History

Another stat to through in is what year in the league were players when they did finally start their first year.
    While TJack wasn't thrown in right as a rookie as some have been, he also didn't ride the bench of 3 years as some may have.
    Personally, neither my knowledge nor memory serves me well enough to know which if any of those players rode the bench or started day one.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Damnit.
    Why in the hell would you do that much work and then post it?

Now I will have to climb back over the fence and be a "Let him start Next Year" "Maybe the staff know what they are doing" kindof guy.

Very nice, very nice indeed.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Heck of a post aaeyers ... as I said in another post before the thread got sidetracked.. TJ needs more time and see where it goes from there.. it is too early to scrap it now.

Although having a backup plan with more teeth than Bollinger and bringing Holcomb in late might be advised.

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    Another stat to through in is what year in the league were players when they did finally start their first year.
    While TJack wasn't thrown in right as a rookie as some have been, he also didn't ride the bench of 3 years as some may have.
    Personally, neither my knowledge nor memory serves me well enough to know which if any of those players rode the bench or started day one.
    That is what the first stat column is (marked 'Year'). It denotes what year in their career they took over as the full time starter, R stands for rookie.

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    He sort of did that by putting the "year" in which they were the starter for their first full season. R, 1, 2, 3 etc. So you can see how long they were in the leage before they got their first full year as a starter.
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

Great Post!
    I am one of the few people out there who still support T-Jack.
    While I agree that some of his bad performances came at the worst times, it is also understandable.
    I think one of the announcers (can't remember which game) said something to the affect of T-Jack having a very similiar first year to Peyton Manning.
    Now, do I think T0Jack will ever be Peyton Manning.... no.
    I do, however, beleive a lot of people will be surprised by what they see out of the kid next year.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    That is what the first stat column is (marked 'Year'). It denotes what year in their career they took over as the full time starter, R stands for rookie.
    Whoops
    :'(
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Just goes to show you that it is possible to hand pick players and stats to make damn near any argument you want to make.

Throw in guys like

Troy Smith,
    Andre Ware,
    Omar Jacobs
    Quincy Carter
    Giovanni Carmazzi
    Chris Redmon
    Akili Smith
    Tony Banks
    Kordell Stewart
    Jeff Blake

And see what happens to your statistics.
    My guess is your results will be quite different

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Just goes to show you that it is possible to hand pick players and stats to make damn near any argument you want to make.

Throw in guys like

Troy Smith,
    Andre Ware,
    Omar Jacobs
    Quincy Carter
    Giovanni Carmazzi
    Chris Redmon
    Akili Smith
    Tony Banks
    Kordell Stewart
    Jeff Blake

And see what happens to your statistics.
    My guess is your results will be quite different
    Won't that make TJ's stats look even better though... taking guys with good numbers should hurt the TJ comparison.. or am I thinking wrong per normal?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast