Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Chazz is offline Coordinator

Re: Tarvaris Jackson: Vikings' Quarterback of the Future?

I had thought of McNair as well, but he didn't really begin starting consistantly until his third season.
    You listed games PLAYED, but he only started 2 his rookie year, and 4 his second.

I agree with Prophet, Jackson was put in too fast.
    I had a very long and heated arguement about that last season where I said it was too early and that Childress was risking ruining Jackson (ala Chicago with McNown)....but Jackson started anyway.

But to me the whole "Jackson has a lot to learn" arguement justifying keeping him as starter is just like the "Williamson has so much potential" arguement....n either have a guaranteed payoff.
    In both cases, the person making the statement is simply hoping for the best.
    We HOPE Jackson will develop into a true starter, just like we HOPE Williamson will learn to catch the friggin ball.

I would much rather see the Vikes bring in someone more polished and park Jackson.
    If he develops and WINS the job, fine.
    But having him compete versus 2 guys who aren't starter candidates anywhere else merely makes Jackson the ONLY option, not the BEST option (Much like Williamson on a depleted Receiver corps).
    It justifys Childress' faith in him because he was able to beat out bad players, but that's all smoke and mirrors.

Caine

I would like that as well. The problem is there really isn't anybody worth while to get. Anderson got signed a three year contract, so he's out. Then there is Mcnabb, the most logical candidate, but at what price? Probably too much. Plus would Philly even be willing to part ways? Todd Collins I want them to bring in. He would be good for the role. He is getting old, so would only be around a couple of years. Draft Henne and let him and T-Jack battle it out and see who wins. Problem is I heard Collins wanted to stay in Washington, but I don't know if there is truth to that.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

Perharps we have a different veiw of this game. What i saw was cosntant presure from the front 4. With an occisional zone blitz that dropped osi into coverage. Having watched a crap load of Giants game this season, they did nothing different than they normally do.

You and I will always see things differently.
    If we didn't it wouldn't be any fun.

Sure the DL got more sacks, but the LB were very active in thier blitz packages with alot of delayed blitzes that pushed the QB into the DL hands.

It was a combination of both. The DL straight up got after Brady. The blitz's they brought were brillantly designed and executed, as well as perfectly timed. Brady and co. never seen them coming. Of course they didn't have tapes of what the Giants were going to do.
    ;D Without the blitz, they don't win the game.

Birk has never had a problem making blitz pick up and neither
    has Hutch, infact their peers and coaches( as well as fans) elect them year in and out to the pro bowl for their abilties. You can't put that much pressure on the line constantly. They will crack.

Never blamed Hutch.
    Hey, did you see the last play of the game?
    Who was to blame for that.
    I stuck it in here twice and yet you keep ignoring it.

Maybe its because you don't understand what the C and QB do pre-snap based on what they see the DL, MLB and S's doing related to blitz schemes.

Crotch sniff on Birk all you want, but he has struggled making line calls when the staff called a Run Play and they had to audible out of it to a pass play.

Couldn't of said it better myself. Birk was very undeserving of the pro-bowl, IMO. Birk got handled by Rogers, as well as many other DT's during the year. Including a guy just signed off a practice squad. Although I don't remember what game that was. Plus I'm not sure he ever made the correct blitz read.

Quote from: kevoncox on Yesterday at 11:51:16 pm
    Quote from: BloodyHorns82 on Yesterday at 10:42:08 pm
    Quote from: vikingivan on Yesterday at 10:34:43 pm
    Quote from: Caine on Yesterday at 03:01:08 pm
    I said awhile back that Peterson saved Childress and Jackson.
    I see no reason to back off that stance.

Jackson's improvement was due primarily to the Vikings throwing a lot of dump balls and come-back/stop routes.
    That and removing Williamson from the line-up.
    Travaris was given easy throws to make, and he did....not exactly a reason to celebrate.

But the biggest thing that helped Jackson was the breakout of Adrian Peterson.
    Had we not had the dynamic rushing year we had, Jackson would have been buried.
    Defense keyed on Adrian all game long, effectively neutralizing him towards the end of the season, because they knew we could NOT beat them in the air.

To me, that is an indictment of the QB, the WRs, and the Coaches.
    If teams show that much disdain for your passing attack, and are proven right game after game, then there are HUGE issues to be addressed.

Now, to be fair, Jackson WAS impressive in the 4th quarter of the Denver game...but that just begs the question, "Where was THAT guy all season?"
    So, heading into '08, is THAT the guy we're going to see, or is it the shell shocked kid that thought he played for the Lions?

Of course, he did throw an INT to end the Denver game....back to square one?
    Who knows.

But I'm fairly certain that Childress will stick with Jackson next season.
    I don't WANT him to, I'd rather see Derek Anderson brought in.
    But I believe that Childress is convinced that Jackson is "The Guy"...and I believe Childress is wrong (about a lot of things).

And, unless Peterson explodes again next season, I think that will all become very clear, very early on next season.

Caine

I thought he fumbled at the end of the Denver game.
    But, I was drinking heavily.

You are correct, it was ruled a fumble, although it could have easily been ruled an incomplete pass.
    "Was his arm moving forward" was the question and it seemed to be right at that point.
    Either way it cost us the game.
    Compared to the rest of his career, he looked phenomenal in the fourth quarter.
    If I hadn't watch what he is capable during the fourth quarter of that game, I would surely be on the Tjack hater bandwagon.
    I'm still not convinced by any means, but at least it paved way for further optimism.

They wer eplaying prevent defense...He looked the same in Washington. Teams that are up big late in the game typically move their defenders way back creating plenty of open space...He always looks great at the end of blow outs....

He made a couple of beutiful passes to hit his man in stride with a defender in hot persuit.

Where were the safeties?
    Were they not 15 yards off the ball?

They were not playing a prevent. What they did do was stop bringing guys into the box. Stopped bringing the blitz, and just played a straight zone D. What this proves is that T-Jack does have the abilliaty to play QB. T-Jack is unable to read the blitz, and were its coming from, and then beat it. Birk inabilaty to make the correct line adjustments further complicated T-Jacks weakness against the blitz.
    In OT Denver went back to playing in the box to stop AD. Then the usual happened, the line couldn't adapt, T-Jack had no time and what do you know....fumble.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It seems to me if they are going to stick with the TJ project, the best thing they can do is to see if they can get McNair in here as his backup. To me TJ is closest to Mcnair in both physical style and also how they came into the league so it would seem that he could help provide any guidance that the QB coach can't. Plus he can still play for short periods if needed but i think he is past the point where he is looking to be a long term starter anywhere.

Baltimore is also going through a coaching change and I have seen that a priority there is to change directions on the QB and solidify the position so they may not want to retain him for next year. All of this hinges on whether he can recover fully from the surgery on his non throwing arm that ended his season.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    It seems to me if they are going to stick with the TJ project, the best thing they can do is to see if they can get McNair in here as his backup. To me TJ is closest to Mcnair in both physical style and also how they came into the league so it would seem that he could help provide any guidance that the QB coach can't. Plus he can still play for short periods if needed but i think he is past the point where he is looking to be a long term starter anywhere.

Baltimore is also going through a coaching change and I have seen that a priority there is to change directions on the QB and solidify the position so they may not want to retain him for next year. All of this hinges on whether he can recover fully from the surgery on his non throwing arm that ended his season.
    BRING BACK DANTE.... clearly joking.

I think McNair would be a cool idea, however I don't know what his situation looks like in Baltimore. Cool idea though.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Woodson on TJ about 2:45 into the clip.

The whole clip is about the NFC North recap.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806a82fa

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678